Frame off restoration of my 1972 442

Search this Thread

Old January 5th, 2015, 05:25 AM

suppose to be fun....

Kevin, I too just got caught upon your thread, I fully understand taking a step back, and how life gets in the way or probably better said takes priority. We put ourselves under so much pressure with imaginary timelines, yes I have been wanting to finish my own project for so damn long, it isnt funny, but I was stressing to get things done, then I needed to step back, so i could step up ,, if that makes sense, doing it the way I want it will take time, and there is no getting around it, as long as I get something done no matter how small and its done right I am cool, and it is becoming fun again.

Glad your chrome came out well, and when your ready we are all interested in your progress..
Hang in there
Old January 5th, 2015, 10:12 AM
Kjr442

Originally Posted by cdrod
I just read your resto thread, man your car is gonna be sweet! So sorry to hear about the body shop screwing you over - that just plain sucks!. I'm sure it really took the wind out of your sails, but don't give up - you've come too far to go back now. Have you made any progress since the body shop debacle?

Thank you. Not much at all has been done to the car. I did get the rear bumper all back together, and it is ready to hang now. I came up with a great find for the tail light housings, and lenses, NOS.
I ordered my gas tank sending unit, so the tank will be next to go in, hell I have had the new tank for 25 years now.

Rodney
Old January 5th, 2015, 10:14 AM
Kjr442

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
Kevin, I too just got caught upon your thread, I fully understand taking a step back, and how life gets in the way or probably better said takes priority. We put ourselves under so much pressure with imaginary timelines, yes I have been wanting to finish my own project for so damn long, it isnt funny, but I was stressing to get
things done, then I needed to step back, so i could step up ,, if that makes sense, doing it the way I want it will take time, and there is no getting around it, as long as I get something done no matter how small and its done right I am cool, and it is becoming fun again.

Glad your chrome came out well, and when your ready we are all interested in your progress..
Hang in there
Thank you, I just updated with a few things that have been done in the last mounth.
Old February 21st, 2016, 11:47 PM

It’s a shame that what should have been a fun project for you turned into a knot in your stomach, It gives all restoration shops a bad name, Some refer to it as “Paint Jail” I just came across this thread and as I was looking through the pictures I saw problems about to happen when I saw the car covered with oxidation and they were doing the plastic work on it. Body filler is Hydroscopic and never should be done on bare metal. As soon as the paint was stripped off of it the car should have been cleaned and put in Epoxy primer “immediately” I guarantee people had there hands all over that car and that body filler absorbed moisture. Keep a close eye out for little bubbles that may appear in the paint down the road. I have been restoring cars for over 45 years and to this day I won’t give someone a firm price to restore their car, it is impossible to do. You never know what you have till you get the car stripped and take the chassis Measurements to make sure the car is still square. You would be amazed at what we find. We charge by the labor hour and keep the customer updated with our progress and pictures. No Surprises. If your hood was cracked (how the hell did that happen?) he is responsible and I would want it replaced. An OEM hood is BIG BUCKS if you can find a good one. A friend of mine who has a restoration shop not too far from me restores Oldsmobile 442’s exclusively and he also manufactures a perfect reproduction hood. His name is Jeff Thornton and they are located in Telford Pa, I am an Olds fan from way back even though most of my business is F body cars though I do have a 71 442 Vert in the shop now that was pulled from a Paint Jail… Hopefully the shop owner will make things right for you to ease the pain. Anyone who has had a car done knows it is extremely expensive to have the body and paint done correctly by a reputable shop. Without a doubt the biggest expense of doing a restoration. Good Luck and I hope everything works out for you, Don’t wait to long….
BTW, Nice Car and I love the color......
Mark
Old March 11th, 2016, 06:43 PM

Wanted ad

Originally Posted by Adriana Suess
looking for a 1970 oldmobile rally 350 with the hurst olds 350 restored must be complete...will pick up from ontario canada
Why is this posted here?
Old March 12th, 2016, 06:22 PM

Yes, I'll try to get that photo Sunday afternoon.

John
Old May 5th, 2017, 09:02 PM
Old School Olds

How goes the project Kev? Slow and steady wins the race, so they tell me.
My 70 project is slow as well. Looks like you will see the end soon though.
Good luck with her.