'69 442 Sport Coupe

Old March 24th, 2013, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
Jon, just read your thread all the way though, nice work. I may have missed it , but what gears are in your 12 bolt?
Darrell,

Thanks, the axle I put in is a 3.42. I'm curious to see how the car runs with the M20/3.42 vs the TH400/3.90 combo that I removed.

The last owner had it pretty well set up for street racing. I don't believe he ever had a timed run, but it was quick, and tempermental. I've been trying to return it more to an original look and make it more fun to just turn the key and go without sacrificing performance any more than I have to.
Old March 24th, 2013, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Fummins
Nice project, wish i had your dash skills. I just swapped a 468/muncie m20 into my 1969 Cutlass. Having replacement radiator issues now though lol. Great pics of yo r progress too.

Thanks! Thanks to our winters and all the down time it is easy to work up the patience for it as cruising is not an option. I have to say though that my neck and back get sore just thinking about crawling under the dash again.

How do you like your 468/m20 combo? What gears are you running?
Old April 5th, 2013, 02:23 PM

Got some time to work and take photos, these were taken yesterday. It is running and moving again and I am happy to say the transmission shifts through all of the gears just fine. There is still some tinkering to do, but it will be hit and miss getting to it. We are moving at the end of the month and the cars will be going into storage as soon as the house sells. So I will have some time to work in between packing and moving, but I may not get much cruising or working on it in this summer. Anyway here are some pics.

Not much to say here, this is how the inside will look probably until next summer, front half of the interior looks pretty good, but the rear side panels and package shelf are still gold.

012-1_zps378592e8.jpg

As mentioned above I took the solid motor mounts out, the engine sits noticeably lower than it did. I noticed when I was under the car that there was some dings and paint rubbed off if in the transmission tunnel, the engine sat high enough that it was making contact at times. I also found a section of the fan shroud that was missing chunks at the top from the fan hitting it at full throttle. Not it sits as it should.

003-4_zps534b7ee2.jpg

007-3_zps69b70be1.jpg

It kind of looks cool with the hood off.... will add more photos if I am able to get anything else worth mentioning done this year...

002-4_zpse3773b67.jpg
Old April 5th, 2013, 04:09 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Jon, your car is coming together nicely! The motor does sit quite a bit lower...
Glad it is shifting well for you! Good luck with the move.

Ted
Old September 11th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Jon,
Any updates on the car?
Old September 11th, 2013, 09:35 PM

What did you do with the Ram Air hood? I've always wanted one on my 69...
Old September 12th, 2013, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by sammy
Jon,
Any updates on the car?
Ted,

Thanks for asking, we are somewhat settled into the new house. I have gotten it home and have it up on the skates. I needed to put the right driveshaft in it. I put a shorter one in it that fit well enough to drive it on and off of the trailer for the move. Now I am finishing that up and hopefully can get some shake down miles on it this fall.

I would not have started the 4spd conversion had I expected to be moving. Alls well that ends well though.

How is the '68 coming, I need to check your thread...

Jon
Old September 12th, 2013, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Nick
What did you do with the Ram Air hood? I've always wanted one on my 69...
The hood was sold and sent to the east coast last winter. Sorry: )
Old September 12th, 2013, 09:32 AM
NOVICE car nut

Wow , very nice !
Old December 11th, 2014, 11:21 AM

Alright, I purchased this project a little over a year ago and have finally deciding to start sharing on how this car is progressing. Picture to come in the future

Items Completed Since purchase:
1. I had the bushing and seal replaced in the tail stock of the transmission
2. Finished the install and have the clutch adjusted
3. The steel hood was all in primer, so I had the hood painted black in the short term unitl I decide to do the body

In process
1. Running the car around this summer the engine was eating some oil and smoking pretty good out of the right side. Over Thanksgiving break I pulled the engine and have dropped it off to a local engine rebuilder to check out. He believes I likey have some busted piston rings on the right side. Either way he is going to get it all fixed up for me and tune the engine on his dyno.
2. Part of this I am replacing the exhaust manifold with headers and will need to modify the exhaust system for that change as well.

In the future
1. I will be looking for a wheel and tire set-up and possible a suspension change to get the stance and ride height to where I want it