1972 Cutlass Father-Son Resto

Search this Thread

Old August 8th, 2014, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Rmsx327
Well! Blew my radiator in the magnum due to a cooling fan breaking and shredding it up. Got parts on the way and am fixing it soon. Been driving the cutlass around and she's running nicely; survived a rough winter!
Was out garage sale looking yesterday and picked up this beauty! It's from earlier models, but it still looks absolutely gorgeous. Anyone know exactly which? From what I've researched I'm guessing mid/late sixties?
Just got through this whole thread and I've got to give you kudo's for keeping keepin' on with the Cutlass. My first car was a 64' Lemans that I put a 68' 455 Olds in. It was in much better shape than what you started with, but you have to remember it was only eight years at the time and I payed $300.00 for it, additionally it had live it's whole life in Nevada so no rust at all. It's really great to see someone of the younger generation taking an interest in an old muscle car like this. As for the radio it looks just like the factory AM/FM radio in my 69' Cutlass.

Keep up the good work,
Scott
Old August 10th, 2014, 03:39 AM

radio identification

From your picture, that radio looks like the '63-'64 AM-FM. There should be a Delco tag on it with a 6-digit number. In '64 it was 982251. Not sure for '63, but could look it up. If it's working, they are worth some good $$.
Old August 12th, 2014, 05:13 PM

Great to see you enjoying the car. Keep enjoying it.
Old August 15th, 2014, 09:30 PM
L69

Awesome build. Enjoy these moments
Old September 10th, 2014, 06:56 PM
Dang Teenage Kid

Ended up selling it on eBay for $100 to a guy using it for his '64 (Good call oldsmobomb!). Not bad for a $3 investment at a garage sale haha.

Thanks again for the encouragement guys! Just got my first place after landing a sweet gig at my apartment complex as a maintenance tech full time, so I'm going to be learning a lot about washers, dryers, AC, etc, getting an EPA cert, and a bunch more things that are hard to learn elsewhise. Still doing school full time as well! I'm a little too busy to do a ton of work on her, but the Cutlass is still getting her well deserved spot in a garage, and I still take her out! . Got a small coolant leak I need to address so I'll upload pics once that is tackled! Crossing my fingers it's not indictive of a larger problem.

I plan to keep this thread updated so every little step of this beauty is tracked from these teenage days of getting a spare $50-$100 to tackle a tiny part and still learning things, to the time when I can afford to drop $2k on a a wimb, and have an immaculate paint job, and have the know-how to rebuild an engine on my own. Sorry progress is a little slow, but I figure it's better than the thread dying!! I'm learning AND earning as I go, lol.

And thank you Scott! I'm glad to be able to even own this piece of history! Some days I look out my window and just smile, knowing I have it. If only I could say I got mine for a cool $300, and a good 'ol western car without rust to boot! haha. Mine is about as good as you could ask for mechanically! Just a ton of cosmetics. On a side note, there's 2 on Craigslist here for $1300 (runs, doesn't drive) and $1700 (runs and drives) and it kills me every day! I wanna give those poor things a home like mine, but that's for the future 30 yr old me with a big old barn and an old lady nagging that I have too many toys! lol

Last edited by Rmsx327; September 10th, 2014 at 07:00 PM.
Old September 11th, 2014, 06:31 AM
Administrator

As always, glad to hear your doing well and sticking with your goal of a higher education.
Old September 11th, 2014, 06:42 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Coolant leaks can be simple or a PITA. Start by checking the hoses and clamps. Hopefully it's not the rad or a frost plug.

Looking good! Keep following your dream.
Old September 12th, 2014, 09:48 AM

Ended up selling it on eBay for $100 to a guy using it for his '64 (Good call oldsmobomb!). Not bad for a $3 investment at a garage sale haha.

Thanks again for the encouragement guys! Just got my first place after landing a sweet gig at my apartment complex as a maintenance tech full time, so I'm going to be learning a lot about washers, dryers, AC, etc, getting an EPA cert, and a bunch more things that are hard to learn elsewhise. Still doing school full time as well! I'm a little too busy to do a ton of work on her, but the Cutlass is still getting her well deserved spot in a garage, and I still take her out! . Got a small coolant leak I need to address so I'll upload pics once that is tackled! Crossing my fingers it's not indictive of a larger problem.

I plan to keep this thread updated so every little step of this beauty is tracked from these teenage days of getting a spare $50-$100 to tackle a tiny part and still learning things, to the time when I can afford to drop $2k on a a wimb, and have an immaculate paint job, and have the know-how to rebuild an engine on my own. Sorry progress is a little slow, but I figure it's better than the thread dying!! I'm learning AND earning as I go, lol.

And thank you Scott! I'm glad to be able to even own this piece of history! Some days I look out my window and just smile, knowing I have it. If only I could say I got mine for a cool $300, and a good 'ol western car without rust to boot! haha. Mine is about as good as you could ask for mechanically! Just a ton of cosmetics. On a side note, there's 2 on Craigslist here for $1300 (runs, doesn't drive) and $1700 (runs and drives) and it kills me every day! I wanna give those poor things a home like mine, but that's for the future 30 yr old me with a big old barn and an old lady nagging that I have too many toys! lol
I'm retired from the military and draw a pension from that. I work full time for the railroad which pays pretty good. Still when I have to drop 2k, it's not on a whim and it still makes me wince. Enjoy this part of your life, you'll never get it back.

There's a 1969 convertible that shows up on the local craig's list from time to time, if I just had the room to store it. It'd go great with my hard top.

Scott
Old May 9th, 2015, 01:15 PM
Dang Teenage Kid

Finally back to update after the winter!!!! Due to the car being far away for the winter for safe keeping, and me often being on call, I really didn't do a whole lot to it. However it did get started at the very least once a week, to keep everything flowing! Unfortunately I just lack the space to do a lot of things right now living at an apartment complex.

Still work here at the complex, learned a ton about an endless amount of things, focusing on AC's now that it's warm again. Still love living on my own, even if I miss momma's cooking some days! (Hate paying rent though) lol. Purchased my first truck in December because of snow and lets be honest, every man needs a truck! I was doing some work to it and decided I need a car since I sold the Magnum about 2 weeks ago as I'm looking at other cars to buy, so I said "Hey, lets bring the Cutlass back home!"

Started up and drove back smooth as can be, always has ran like a champ. Checked fluids before my trip, and about midway through as I know I have a coolant and oil leak. (Suspected water pump)

Finally got it on ramps in the garage, and searched for the culprit. So dirty I couldn't see a thing, whole bottom end was just oil city. Cleaned it up a ton and started the car up, glanced under and was greeted with this lovely fast moving flow. Quickly jumped up, sprinted around the car and turned the poor thing off!
0509151440_zpsk4pw3y6g.jpg
Above, you can see that there is a pretty nice crack underneath that bolt, before I saw that I suspected the gasket, gotta be a nice combo of both

0509151452_zps0bkxugqg.jpg
Zoomed out view

0509151456_zpsg7bybkel.jpg
Top view, the top of the photo is just where the oil fill tube starts

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Seems like an odd little spot to break!

Last edited by Rmsx327; May 9th, 2015 at 01:27 PM.
Old May 9th, 2015, 01:26 PM
Dang Teenage Kid

Originally Posted by Allan R
Coolant leaks can be simple or a PITA. Start by checking the hoses and clamps. Hopefully it's not the rad or a frost plug.

Looking good! Keep following your dream.
Luckily the rad is good, and the hoses are good but could use some replacement soon pre-emtively just because they're...well....old. Pahaha (Not that old is bad )

And I plan to keep on keeping on! I don't care what I have to do, rain or snow, running or not, this car is not going anywhere, and hopefully within the next few years I'll actually be able to start building my house and have a real garage with space and all.
Old May 9th, 2015, 01:52 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Good thing is a replacement fuel pump is not hard to get and it's relatively inexpensive. When you take out the old one, that will also let you check the amount of slop on the timing chain. It's easy to see and feel with the fuel pump out. Just remember to put the new pump in so the lever will catch the eccentric cam properly.

Replacement hoses? Check out In line tube. They have nice correct ones for reasonable price. Otherwise, rockauto is your friend. If you do use RA, don't forget the sticky page here with the latest discount code. To get best shipping rate, order all parts from one warehouse or the prices will easily double/triple.
Old May 9th, 2015, 01:55 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Just thought of something. Prolly a good idea to take out the rad when you do the hoses and have the rad flushed/acid dipped to get all the crud out. Then have it pressure tested to make sure it's strong enough. Get it all done at once instead of having to take it out and do over. Haven't tried this, but if you want to give it a whirl, try putting straight ZEP Lime/calcium/rust solution in the rad to dissolve any buildup. The poor mans way to de-gunk a radiator apparently. Note: Rad need to be out of the car so the solution doesn't go into the block.
Old May 9th, 2015, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Glad to hear your doing well and still at it with the car. Ill timed minor maintenance items are always a consequence of old car ownership. Still better than a car payment.
Old May 9th, 2015, 04:28 PM
Dang Teenage Kid

As always, appreciate the timely help Allan!! I know it'll be...fun....but I thought the issue was worse, and it's certainly better than a cracked block! haha. And I've thought about clearing that one out, just needed the motivation or excuse to have it off, haha.

And thanks old, it's as expected with one of this age and shape, I'm certainly not angry, I'm loving getting to spend some time under it again! And it sure does, I'm enjoying my no car payment time right now
Old May 9th, 2015, 04:49 PM
Dang Teenage Kid

Also, the fuel pump I currently have is the 2 line pump. I was going to order that one, it wouldn't hurt to have that as opposed to the 3 line I assume?? As I understand it's just a return line, silly emissions crap like the charcoal canisters, that and mine has been fine without it. Figured I'd ask though!

Last edited by Rmsx327; May 9th, 2015 at 05:06 PM.
Old May 9th, 2015, 05:17 PM
Just an Olds Guy

If your fuel pump has the 2 fittings and you're not sure about whether you need a return line, look under the car on the passenger side frame rail. That's where you will see if there is a return line that has been truncated. I doubt it though. Chances are really good your fuel pump is correct.
Old May 11th, 2015, 10:20 AM

Looking through The 1972 Oldsmobile Chassis Service Manual, you can see, on page 8-3, a figure: "Fuel Return Line Usage Chart" (see attached image).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
fuel-return-usage.jpg (58.4 KB, 5 views)
Old May 11th, 2015, 07:44 PM
Dang Teenage Kid

Thanks ddd!!!! I'm without my manual as I left it at my parents when I got the car this past weekend, gotta grab it soon. .

Don't judge my ingenuity , when you work alone sometimes you need things to hold stuff for you! I refused to disconnect the lines to my AC partially out of difficulty, laziness(I know, shame on me), and not wanting to replace them because they're inevitably seized up. Had to get this and the bracket out of the way in order for the pump to properly come all the way out.....You non-AC guys are lucky

0511152055_zpsyiqmvqqs.jpg

I packed up for the night, so I will try tomorrow after everything has soaked in PB Blaster more, but the line is stubborn as can be. I'm going to end up getting it replaced anyways because it twisted something fierce, even with a flare nut wrench. That- and it's old. If you're gonna do it, do it right. Gonna grab a filter while I'm at it.

0511152104a_zpsskgbkhat.jpg0511152055c_zpskwzzm2ga.jpg

However, the old pump is loose!!! The new one I got from O'Reilly's (only store that had it in stock in this area) was ready to go. I asked the guy if it was the 2 line pump and he said yes. Opened it when I got home and-of course- it wasn't. So I'll be taking a trip back there soon, but hopefully I can get the line while I'm there! Also took my lower rad hose off to drain everything and for replacement (was cracked bad from all that oil being on it for who knows how long) and slopped a bunch of coolant everywhere as it spewed out my engine one direction and the hose in another, there really is no clean way to do that one

So excited to be back on the thread and back to getting dirty! Will update as more comes along, as usual
Old May 11th, 2015, 08:23 PM

-------Replies--------
We used the dye on the door panels and it worked wonderfully! The carpet is a little torn up front, but is still fairly black. I'm just going to wait until I can buy all new carpet.
Yeah, the patch keeps my foot from going under Flintstones style , and keeps it water tight. Just gotta save up the money to patch it all up the right way!
Thanks! We had to take the subs from their original box, but they look awesome back their! Unique for sure.
I'm going to save up and probably just get a whole set for the car, because just about all of that stuff has rotted away or is barely hanging on.

------------Here's the issue---------------
The problem started after I left my headlights on. I got a jump from my friends Lancer, but it was nowhere near enough to turn my car over. It wouldn't even crank for a fraction of a second. His dad's SUV got my car going though. After that, I drove around. My headlights were VERY dim, so I turned them off. I drove around backroads to get some charge and not be caught by the cops. After a few minutes I turned my lights back on and they were as bright as normal. I drove home thinking everything was ok.
The next day I drove about 10 minutes away on the interstate for a parade thing. My car got their fine, started fine, but when I got there, my radio was flickering on/off for fractions of a second. So I just turned it off and left it that way.
I parked my car and came back 2 hours later, and it started right up. I moved it to another spot, closer to where I was hanging out with people. The radio worked on my way over, without flickering.
I came back to my car again, maybe 3 hours later, and it wouldn't start at all. It was completely dead.
I got a jump from an ambulance (I told a cop about 5 minutes earlier, and he said I needed to move along because I was in a restricted area and fireworks started in 20 minutes. Then he drove off without even OFFERING me a jump. )
ANYWAYS, I started driving. I did the same thing I did before, since it was almost dusk. My headlights were dim, but this time, driving around did nothing for them. I got back on the interstate and drove home (stupid in hindsight, considering I could've broke down) I drove without lights, occasionally turning them on, seeing if they were brighter.
My dad was standing in the driveway, and as I got to the foot of the driveway, without really thinking, I switched my headlights on, trying to show my dad that they were dim. Well, to my surprise, the car died the second I switched them on. Right at the bottom of the driveway.
At least she got me home safely! <3.

From there, we've gotten everything tested and it's all fine. All the things that could be sucking power unknowingly have been installed weeks before this event, and no problems arose. We're thinking that maybe the battery was just SO low after I drained it, that these extras could be draining it to the point where it effects it. Whereas when it's at 100% it's not a big deal. We got the battery fully charged, and will experiment today and tomorrow.
hook ur radio right to ur battery
Old May 13th, 2015, 03:25 PM
Dang Teenage Kid

Oh lawdy that story brought back some memories Johnny! Luckily I've had no problems since, sorted it out at the time and it was a bad voltage regulator, radio and subs/amp got hooked up correctly afterwards as well!
Old May 14th, 2015, 05:47 PM
Dang Teenage Kid

Anyone know of a good source for quality lines? I checked the link you provided for In Line Allan and while they had a large selection they didn't have the carb to pump section of line. I'm having a hell of a time finding it, only one source so far but wanted to get some other opinions if possible. RockAuto was a no go on it as well, but got the pump and some new rad hose ordered
Old May 14th, 2015, 06:35 PM

Anyone know of a good source for quality lines? I checked the link you provided for In Line Allan and while they had a large selection they didn't have the carb to pump section of line. I'm having a hell of a time finding it, only one source so far but wanted to get some other opinions if possible. RockAuto was a no go on it as well, but got the pump and some new rad hose ordered
like this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/190820209773
Old May 14th, 2015, 07:49 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Motorcitymusclecars IS In Line tube. I bought one of those for my car a few years ago. Needs a 'bit' of tweaking to fit perfect, but not much. Loosely dry fit first and then snug down.

I'd buy the eBay one. It's listed 2.00 less than the one in the ILT Catalgue. Shipping is always extra....
Old August 22nd, 2016, 06:36 PM
Dang Teenage Kid

Just a humble bump to give everyone an update!
Bought my first house at the end of last year, so in between my job, school, and a home renovation, I am definitely busy! However I am blessed to be with a wonderful girlfriend who will work on the house, play video games, and work on cars with me. I've had a water pump replacement on the Cutlass since the last update, thanks to a little joyride! A bolt that sheared off, and that threw a wrench in my repairs. She's safe and sound and right now and I'm budgeting for a rebuild soon, I need to give the cutlass some loving Just a friendly little reminder that I do still have my precious car, and I am definitely busy trying to manage being 21, and the fun that comes with that, along with all the other things on my plate. I cannot wait to have some serious updates for this thread, and will be more than happy to share all the goodies to come! Thanks for all the support from everyone so far, it's meant the world to me!
Old August 22nd, 2016, 06:54 PM

Looks like you are keeping busy for good reasons! You'll find time for the car.
Old August 22nd, 2016, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Always good to hear that our younger members are doing well and living life. Congrats on the house and the girl friend that likes to wrench. She's a keeper.
Old August 22nd, 2016, 08:22 PM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Always good to hear that our younger members are doing well and living life. Congrats on the house and the girl friend that likes to wrench. She's a keeper.
X2, I just read through this thread. Loved the whole thread from the beginning to now.
Awesome father and son project to take on. Its come a long way since you took ownership of it.
Great patch work, seat covers, stereo, and tires.
So good to hear a younger guy with a passion for Oldsmobiles. Congrats on the purchase of your cutlass first off, and congrats on your home purchase.
As Eric mentioned hang onto your girlfriend she sounds like an awesome girl that shares some of your passion towards cars.
Put-er'-ther
Eric