1972 Cutlass Convertible

Search this Thread

Old April 21st, 2016, 06:03 PM

1972 Cutlass Convertible

Stripping her down to do frame off resto. Previous owner bought it from a body man but some things are not finished. Sat for at least ten years. The floor pan is a problem to me. I think I will put in a full replacement pan. (never done floor replacement before). He replaced pans but left the hump and gaps between the old and new. See the picture with the dripping putty (its upside down). That is under the rear seat area on driver side. From inside the car the floor looks good but appears to be heavily coated with black tar looking coating Found a frame shop to check the frame I am planning on using. The top was just 1/4 inch from being able to latch onto the windshield pillars. Not sure if it just needs adjusting from when he lifted the body to do the floor. Some stops like in the trunk floor were cut to get to the bolts holding the body on. I would like to replace the trunk floor too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2435.JPG (2.04 MB, 96 views)
IMG_2192.JPG (1.85 MB, 79 views)
IMG_2180.JPG (2.29 MB, 73 views)
IMG_2193.JPG (1.63 MB, 73 views)
IMG_2186.JPG (1.71 MB, 60 views)
IMG_2187.JPG (1.63 MB, 61 views)

Last edited by Gary M; April 21st, 2016 at 06:05 PM.
Old April 21st, 2016, 07:28 PM
Administrator

You got a good start
Old April 21st, 2016, 07:48 PM

I want to do this car for myself and keep it. Thinking about buying a rotisserie,welder,and door bracing supports. I would like to replace the full floor pan and trunk pan. Just not sure how much bracing to use to keep it from collapsing. I'm going to see if I can get some direction on what welder to buy and how to use it. Want to paint it black like the last one was. I was just too far under water on it to continue since it had solvent pop and a bad rebuild on the motor that I had to redo. I found a frame that is being checked for straightness that I plan to use. The one under it now may be OK but this one can be finished and then ready to drop the body on it when that is done.
Old April 25th, 2016, 05:48 PM

Frame going to shop

Dropping off the frame I am using to check its straight Wednesday. One door and the windshield is the only thing left before I start taking the body off the frame it came with. This is a bucket list item for me. The last car was too perfect to try this.
Old May 11th, 2016, 08:45 PM

Got a clean bill of health from a frame shop on the frame I may use.Gave me a form with results and VIN #. It was in spec and not weak or cracked. Will disassemble it and rebuild the suspension next.
Old May 12th, 2016, 01:35 AM

If your frame is good that you got with the car i wouldn't change it. I understand you want to do one while you are using the car. If your frame is correct frame from factory to your body vin match you de-value the car as a whole when changing frames.
Old May 12th, 2016, 06:45 PM

It's not drivable and has a salvage title. The frame under it has lots of pitting and some of the mount holes look bad. I will have it looked at and maybe fixed to sell. This frame that I had checked looks good.
Old May 12th, 2016, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Gary M
It's not drivable and has a salvage title. The frame under it has lots of pitting and some of the mount holes look bad. I will have it looked at and maybe fixed to sell. This frame that I had checked looks good.
I see well that is different and i agree with what you are wanting to do. Gl on your project.
Old May 12th, 2016, 07:46 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Two things. Be sure the frame you have is a convertible frame (boxed) and make sure you brace the body in the door openings before you take if off the frame so it doesn't flex since there is no roof to keep it from doing that.
Old May 12th, 2016, 07:53 PM

Thanks

I appreciate any advice I can get on this. Will be my first time removing a body and don't want any surprises.
Old July 22nd, 2016, 04:42 PM

Change of direction

Bought this one today to exchange all the new parts I got with the salvage title car to. With this one I can do what ever I want without answering to any HP inspector because it has a clear title. yes I'll have the 455, 4speed and a side of posi.
Still thinking of lifting the salvage body off the frame to repair the patched in floor.

Last edited by Gary M; July 22nd, 2016 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Add
Old July 22nd, 2016, 06:07 PM
Gary

Good looking car!
Old September 4th, 2016, 04:21 PM

Progress

Picked up a summit rotisserie and hung a frame from the ceiling to make room. Decided to pull the salvage title body off the frame, mount it on the rotisserie to see what's up. Not thrilled that the frame is hanging above my good car but will switch places soon.

Only got a busted lip hanging it. Not too bad.

Now I can hang the salvage title car's frame on the wall where the ceiling one was while I rotisserie. Space management sure is labor intensive.
Old September 4th, 2016, 05:56 PM
Photoshop God

I wish I had a rotisserie, but they are way expensive. If you want to get your frame powder coated I used a place by effingham and it was only $342. I dropped it of on a Wednesday afternoon and it was done Friday morning.

I've got the 2 pieces of floor for under the back seat I'm not going to be using and I think I will probably not use the front two pans but not sure yet until I get more into it. I don't have the rear pieces. If you ever get up in central Illinois and want them cheap let me know.
Old September 4th, 2016, 06:07 PM

Got the rotisserie half price from a guy who used it once. Lucky deal. They are out there.
Old September 5th, 2016, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Gary M
Got the rotisserie half price from a guy who used it once. Lucky deal. They are out there.
Sweet it is going to make your life much easier believe me I had to strip the underside of mine working under it on my back that sukd