1972 442 W-30 Tribute Project

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2011, 01:14 PM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by HWYSTR455
Cool , thanks
Old May 22nd, 2011, 02:21 PM

Got a bunch done this weekend, even if I did go to a Pontiac show in Philly.

Finished wiring the amps, cap, and speakers, all the grounds, power, etc.

Got the amp fuse setup installed by the battery, think I'm going to paint the cover black, write the amp for the fuse in white.

Finished a bunch of the other wiring, main harness, etc. Left slack in the charge wire so I can easily drop the starter. Routed the pos calble differently, have slack in that too, for the starter.

Got the dip stick tube installed, whoever suggested the freezer for a hour was right on target, tapped it right in, was cake.

Still need to shim the starter, put the new yoke on the rear, and measure for the driveshaft. Next weekend I'll get the exhaust all installed and do the startup on the engine, looking forward to that. have a few little odds and ends to do, but should have it all knocked out by the end of next weekend. More to come...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CutlwIRE004sm.jpg (85.0 KB, 186 views)
CutWire006sm.jpg (82.9 KB, 183 views)
CutWire005SM.jpg (76.8 KB, 213 views)
Old May 30th, 2011, 12:02 PM

Installed the remaining wires, throttle bracekt and cable, and a bunch of little stuff. Got the starter installed, shimmed, and had to make a small harness because the post was too close to the header. Fun.

Figured out all the wire looms for the plugs, and made all the plug wires after priming the engine and installing the distributor. Had to go through the whole distributor, was a ProComp HEI, shaft had burrs, was hanging, had to lube it, and recurve it. Plates were hung too. Careful if you buy one, look it over carefully.

Well, the engine is almost ready to fire, need to hang the exhaust and add gas, but that should be a day next weekend. Still a few little things to knock out too, didn't get to the driveshaft measurement, for one, but think I will have it done by next weekend...

Attached Images
Cleanup012SM.jpg (88.3 KB, 184 views)
Old June 13th, 2011, 05:14 AM

Had the A/C lines crimped, and got the A/C setup all together, was pretty much the last item I had left in the engine compartment.

Hung the exhaust, it's a Pypes header-back, was one of the first runs of the style, and bought it years ago. The one tailpipe on the driver's side hangs a low, called them, and they said after they look at a pic they will send me new tailpipes. Nice. VERY nice, especially considering how long ago I bought the setup. I used Dynomax Turbo mufflers, 20" case, wow, it's nice and quiet! Once it's mobile, I'll take it to a friend's shop and have it welded up, and can make sure it doesn't contact anything. Will be much easier on a rack to do that stuff. It fits nice and tight up against the floor, the mufflers are about even with the axle tubes.

Did the initial startup, broke in the cam and shut it down. No issues, which is always a relief! I had one pipe plug in the water crossover of the intake I had weep, will have to correct that, but no biggie. Will retorque the heads one night this week and call it 'done'. Will have to do some minor tuning, jetting, advance, idle mix, etc, but for the most part, it's pretty dang close the way it is.

I'll bolt the converter up next and measure for the driveshaft, hoping to have the driveshaft before the weekend. Will have to do the trans break-in, flush it after warm up and cycling through the gears a few time, check for leaks.

Final items are things like alignment, the exhaust welded, windshield, inspection. Have a couple things in the interior, like seat belts, the one visor, fix a minor scratch in the dash area along the bottom (rattle can it), and that stupid console lid that I boogered up. Need to build out the rear bumper, and install the grills, but that's pretty cake. I'm thinking 2-3 weeks and can get it into the body shop, get it painted. Looking forward to that!

I'll get some more pic posted here soon...

Attached Images
Startup 002.jpg (64.2 KB, 160 views)

Last edited by HWYSTR455; June 13th, 2011 at 05:18 AM.
Old June 13th, 2011, 02:16 PM

Really nice job. Gotta love the first startup too.
Old June 14th, 2011, 04:22 AM

Thank you, put some effort into it, think it will be a pretty nice driver when completed. And yeah, the startup put a grin on my face!

Old June 23rd, 2011, 04:21 PM

Couple updates, built out the rear bumper and got it mounted, mainly so I can fit the tail pipes so the trumpets are lined up. One little tip, I shot the inside of the bumper with undercoating, will help prevent the flaking and rust that you see on the original.

Also wire wheeled the underside of the hood and shot it with some engine paint. Figured for the few miles that thing will be on there, a little effort will make it look better.

First time it's seen sunlight for some time, so figured I'd wash it. Actually doesn't look too bad the way it is...from 10 feet anyway!

Few more things to iron out, will give updates on that stuff next time. Then off to the body shop for minor repair and paint. Woo-hoo!

Attached Images
bumper002SM.jpg (69.7 KB, 167 views)
bumper006SM.jpg (72.0 KB, 175 views)
Hood003SM.jpg (52.7 KB, 146 views)
Hood007SM.jpg (68.6 KB, 172 views)
Cutlass004SM.jpg (115.4 KB, 215 views)
Old July 9th, 2011, 03:30 PM

Update:

Removed the glass last weekend, was going to have the glass co come out and install a new windshield in the driveway, though once I had the glass out, saw there was some rot in the upper corner, and no sense putting new glass in without fixing it first. Dang, was hoping to get it aligned, AC charged, and inspected. Anyway, it looks worse than it is, it's really only a small section, an easy patch.

So, I stripped all the trim, vinyl top, door handles, wheel opening moulding, rocker moulding, reveal moulding, windows fuzzies, rear bumper, trunk seal, door seals, window channels, inside door panels, rear seats, everything I could to get it ready for the body shop. Have a rollback coming monday to take it up there.

Ordered a OAI hood (another thread on which one), and it's being delivered to the body shop tuesday/wednesday, so will go up then, take pics of that, and get a quote on the body work. Once I get that I'll post, on both the repair info, and the hood.

Attached Images
OldsProgress 004.jpg (35.6 KB, 156 views)

Last edited by HWYSTR455; July 9th, 2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old July 12th, 2011, 12:02 AM

Very nice car, and great work. Just a few quick questions. What torque converter are you using, and how much were you charged for the rear-end re-build?
Old July 12th, 2011, 05:29 AM

Thank you sniswend, have some time in it for sure! Appreciate others' opinions!

The converter is an TCi Break-a-way, with the anti-baloon plate. It's pretty tight for an off the shelf converter, stall isn't too high where it heats up in stop & go, and the flash is still good for performance use. Once I get the car out on the road and start dialing it in, I'll report back on the specifics. I've used them before though, and have to say I really like them. And I've tried a LOT of converters!

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TCI-241101/

http://www.tciauto.com/tc/th350-400-...ing-plate.html

The rear, well that's a sore spot, kind of. There's a couple things the guy did I wasn't happy about, and it's going to have to be checked out again. The backlash for one is way too sloppy, that thing would sing if I left it the way it is. Anyway, to have it gone through I think I paid like $850. Some shops are a little less, some a little more, but that's a pretty good basis for figuring out about what it would cost. Of course, that's with no parts, I bought all my own parts. I think total, I have about $1650 in parts in it, to give you an idea. I bought a piece here, a piece there, so it wasn't like it was a lump-sum hit on the wallet.

Next time, if there is one! Next time I do a rear that I want to use the housing I have on hand, I'm just going to ship it to Moser.They can clean the housing, toss it on a jig, check for straightness, weld the brackets and tubes, and assemble it, all within a reasonable price, and you know it's right. (and I spent about that much anyway).

If you don't care about the housing, I say buy a Moser 12-bolt housing, and have the big Ford ends put on it. They have housing and axle packages that are right around $850. If you want a complete one, all the good stuff, the one I priced was like $2350, to give you an idea.

Last edited by HWYSTR455; July 12th, 2011 at 05:37 AM.
Old July 12th, 2011, 06:00 AM

Hey, I just remembered, I have a low-mile used break-away from my LeMans, has about 5k miles on it which came out when I swapped over to an overdrive trans (and had already bought one for the Cutlass). It's perfect, not from a trans burn-out or anything, would let it go for $140 + shipping, if you're intersted....

Old July 13th, 2011, 02:44 PM

Thanks for the info. I am in the process of turning my 71 Cutlass back into a more streetable car. It has been a stock appearing drag car for 20+ years. I am debating what to do about the rear-end gearing. It had a 12 bolt posi with 4:11s but that is too steep for most driving. So I put the 10 bolt posi with 2:73 gears in it and it is kind of a dog off the line. I need to find a good balance.

As for the torque converter I took out the hole shot 3000 stall and put in a stock converter, and again that killed more off the line power. The 3000 stall with 2:73 gears would burn out the tranny overtime so I have to find a good balance there. The transmission is a Turbo 400 from a 1970 Cadillac so I am not sure if your converter will work. If it is out of a turbo 350 it won't work.

I am thinking 3:42 gears with some sort of tight 2000 stall torque converter will be good.
Old July 14th, 2011, 04:40 AM

It is out of a BOP Th-400, and has the correct flexplate bolt pattern. TCi advertises @ 1000 rpm over stock, and as I mentioned, it's pretty tight for an off the shelf converter. If you don't like it, I will pay shipping back even, but doubt you would be disappointed.

As for gearing, it's a lot of preference, but looking at the factory gearing is a good starting point. One thing many overlook is targeting a cruise rpm as the cam profile dictates, as well as what that cruise rpm is. Some states/areas a valid cruise speed would be 60, others 70, and yet others, 80, so need to keep that in mind when people make recommendations. Gearset in the trans makes a diff too, fyi.

A good all-around gear is the 3.23, 3.42 is a good choice also. With a 455, 3.08 is very popular, and you just have to make the other selections (cam, intake type, carb) match. You'd be surprised at how well a 455 with 3.08s perform at the track with complimenting parts. Many of the Pontiac guys are in the md to low 12s, with a fully loaded street car...

Old July 14th, 2011, 04:49 AM

If anyone wants any OE parts that came off my project, please contact me, all will go for a very reasonble or low price.

OE disc brake spindles
Hood
serveral sets of Hood grills
undamaged rear bumper, re-chome candidate
A/C and other brackets
OE A/C condenser w/OE dryer (operational when removed)
OE Gauges, several sets, clock too (rebuilt and operational)
serveral sets of headlight grills
OE jack and hold down hardware
OE distributor
OE 2bbl intake and carb (operational)
OE 4 bbl intake
350 Exhaust manifolds
throttle & kickdown bracket
brake booster vacuum line (with correct, enlarged end and fitting)
OE 8.5 axles, excellent condition
Tons of stuff I can't think of, contact me....

Old July 14th, 2011, 06:12 AM

marking where the buttons were to be installed. .
Hey,

I'm doing my rear seat recovering as well and need to install the buttons, do you have any tips on installing them, or you just press them through the fabric, i dont want them to rip the vinyl..
Old July 14th, 2011, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Tony72Cutlass'S'
Hey,

I'm doing my rear seat recovering as well and need to install the buttons, do you have any tips on installing them, or you just press them through the fabric, i dont want them to rip the vinyl..
No real tips there, just push them through. I believe there are marks on the inside where the buttons go, realized that after measuring everything! You might be able to punch a hole with something sharper to start off with, then push the buttons through, probably easier.

Old July 14th, 2011, 06:27 AM

Okay great! Thanks for the feedback, i wasn't sure if making a hole with a nail would make a difference but i'll definitely try that.

P.S - Your car is lookin' great so far! I might be asking you for some more info on those parts that you've got for sale sometime soon. Where abouts are you located for shipping?
Old July 14th, 2011, 08:43 AM

The buttons have that flat 'stalk' that has a point, but it's kind of flimsy, and sometimes bends as you try to push it through. That's the only reason I was thinking punching a hole with something else first would help. That way too, you don't have to keep flipping it over to see where the mark is for the button..

Northern VA, right outside DC, xxxxx zip to be exact...

Last edited by HWYSTR455; August 25th, 2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old July 18th, 2011, 01:07 AM

Thanks for the info on your last reply. I will have to pass on the torque converter.

Is your car finished yet?
Old July 18th, 2011, 04:51 AM

At the body shop, not much longer and it will be done. I will go up sometime here shortly and get shots of the hood and the initial prep for body work.

Old August 16th, 2011, 10:02 AM

Here's a shot of the roof being prep'd for body work. I'm hoping to get up to the body shop some time later this week or next week for some more progress shots....

Attached Images
Cutlass-Roof01.jpg (46.8 KB, 140 views)
Old August 17th, 2011, 08:32 AM

Here's a shot of initial fit of the fiber concept w25 hood on the car. The body guys says the initial fit is very nice. (I will get more shots later)...

Attached Images
CutlassHood-01.jpg (53.1 KB, 139 views)
Old August 25th, 2011, 07:18 AM

Quick update:

*Fab guy made lower fender patches, which is why he said we didn't need to buy any, they include the factory step, the guy is really good.

*Roof in final stages of being smoothed out, they are paying close attention to it since this car will be black.

*Passenger quarter looked great, minor touchup behind the wheel opening, and minor lip repair.

*Driver quarter is done as well.

*Windshield frame is done, just needs to install one pin for the trim clips and it's complete.

*Both door hinges were re-bushed, guy mentioned it had nylon bushings in it, something he's never seen, and said it's probably why they weren't all ate up. He replaced them with brass bushing. (will get a pic of the bushings posted soon.

Once the deck lid arrives, he will prep, and then over to the paint side of the house. Moving right along, really happy it won't be hostage for too long!

Attached Images
FenderPatch01.jpg (49.9 KB, 145 views)
PassQuarter01.jpg (50.7 KB, 130 views)
Old August 25th, 2011, 09:46 AM
72 Olds CS

Quick update:

*Both door hinges were re-bushed, guy mentioned it had nylon bushings in it, something he's never seen, and said it's probably why they weren't all ate up. He replaced them with brass bushing. (will get a pic of the bushings posted soon.

I just did the drivers hinge on my 72 CS also remanants of plastic bushings in there, the kit I got had the copper bushings and another material bushing. I installed the other material bushing on the detent hinge at the top, as there were no instructions and that seemed like the place to put it
Old August 25th, 2011, 10:09 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
I just did the drivers hinge on my 72 CS also remanants of plastic bushings in there, the kit I got had the copper bushings and another material bushing. I installed the other material bushing on the detent hinge at the top, as there were no instructions and that seemed like the place to put it
my hinges also have plastic bushings , and ive seen them on other 70's GM cars .... they must of used them from the factory or something instead of the bronze ones or whatever they used beside plastic
Old August 26th, 2011, 04:36 AM

Great work on the car! I'm in Alexandria, VA and need some body work done on my 70 Cutlass. What shop are you using for your paint and body work?

Thanks!
-Joe
Old August 28th, 2011, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by 71 OLDS
Great work on the car! I'm in Alexandria, VA and need some body work done on my 70 Cutlass. What shop are you using for your paint and body work?

Thanks!
-Joe
Classic Auto in Manassas, though keep in mind, they're not 'cheap'. If you want a first rate job that doesn't look like junk in 3-5 years, you will gladly pay for their work. The rates are on-par with other shops, they just won't do a 'bang-up' job. Also, the car won't sit there for 3 years either, a big plus...

Old August 28th, 2011, 11:26 PM

Thanks for the info! I have no problem paying for quality work. Like you I discovered County Transmission in Vienna and I go out of state for Olds experts when needed but I have yet to find a good local body shop. I will need paint and body work done on both my cars (71 442 & 70 Supreme). I'm very impressed with what you've done on your car and I'm fixing up the 70 Supreme for my son like you are fixing up yours for you daughter.

Here are the details on the 70 Supreme:

http://72.22.90.30/phpBB2/viewtopic....er=asc&start=0

I've actually made lots of progress on this car but need to post some new pics and updates.

and here is the thread on my 71 442:

http://www.pro-touring.com/showthrea...42-convertible

-Joe
Old August 29th, 2011, 04:58 AM

Nice Joe! Both are sweet rides! Need to do the cruise scene now before it gets too late in the year! Ever been to Dulles Town Center on a Friday night? Or Burger King in Manassas Saturday afternoons? Probably seen my driver, the LeMans around, drive the tires off that thing, owned it since '91. It's ready for a freshening up now though. First, time to focus on my 'bird, once the cutlass is done!

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...71+lemans.html

If you go up to Classic, and talk to Jim, the owner, mention me, couldn't hurt, and may be able to make room for one of yours sooner than later.

-Mike
Attached Images
LemansJPG1.JPG (34.6 KB, 90 views)

Last edited by HWYSTR455; August 29th, 2011 at 05:02 AM.
Old August 29th, 2011, 09:26 AM

Thanks again Mike. Lemans looks very nice too. My 71 442 is still in PA getting some work done but I may head over to Dulles Town Center or BK before the winter hits in the 70 Supreme. County Trans is putting a shift kit in the TH350 on Wednesday. Hampton talked me out of doing the stall converter until after we add the new rear end and the exhaust. Headers and full exhaust will be next on that car. The 3.42 posi rear will hopefully be ready to swap for the 2.78 peg leg soon. Slowly but surely coming together. Your post here gave me some ideas on the engine compartment work and undercarriage anti rust/detailing. Please keep the info and pics coming. Maybe I'll see you around at one of the local events or get togethers.

-Joe
Old August 29th, 2011, 10:09 AM

This Friday at Dulles Town Center is supposed to be big, and Monday is teh Clifton car show, which has a ton of Oldsmobiles. Last year I saw no less than 6 W-30s, and a bunch of Cutlass' and 442s. Jill's House show is Saturday in Springfield, another good one.

http://www.capitalcruisin.com

Check the Cruise and Events sections....

Yeah, I'll be a around, flag me down if you see me!

Old August 29th, 2011, 12:27 PM

Wow. I didn't know about most of this stuff. I went to Burger King in Manassas about a decade ago but there was no where near 300 cars there. It's about a 45 minute drive for me but it sounds like it may be worth it. My Dad was a member of the Capitol City Rockets so I did a few car shows/get-togethers with them and I've raced at 75/80 dragway a few times..that's about it.

Guess I need to get out more. I appreciate all the info!

-Joe
Old November 11th, 2011, 12:00 PM

Thank you sniswend, have some time in it for sure! Appreciate others' opinions!

The converter is an TCi Break-a-way, with the anti-baloon plate. It's pretty tight for an off the shelf converter, stall isn't too high where it heats up in stop & go, and the flash is still good for performance use. Once I get the car out on the road and start dialing it in, I'll report back on the specifics. I've used them before though, and have to say I really like them. And I've tried a LOT of converters!

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TCI-241101/

http://www.tciauto.com/tc/th350-400-...ing-plate.html

The rear, well that's a sore spot, kind of. There's a couple things the guy did I wasn't happy about, and it's going to have to be checked out again. The backlash for one is way too sloppy, that thing would sing if I left it the way it is. Anyway, to have it gone through I think I paid like $850. Some shops are a little less, some a little more, but that's a pretty good basis for figuring out about what it would cost. Of course, that's with no parts, I bought all my own parts. I think total, I have about $1650 in parts in it, to give you an idea. I bought a piece here, a piece there, so it wasn't like it was a lump-sum hit on the wallet.

Next time, if there is one! Next time I do a rear that I want to use the housing I have on hand, I'm just going to ship it to Moser.They can clean the housing, toss it on a jig, check for straightness, weld the brackets and tubes, and assemble it, all within a reasonable price, and you know it's right. (and I spent about that much anyway).

If you don't care about the housing, I say buy a Moser 12-bolt housing, and have the big Ford ends put on it. They have housing and axle packages that are right around $850. If you want a complete one, all the good stuff, the one I priced was like $2350, to give you an idea.

Nice build. What brand is that differential cover??????? It's cool. I've been looking for a decent one with drain holes so that I don't have to pull the cover to change to gear oil.

Thanks.
Old November 11th, 2011, 12:26 PM

Thanks!

Cover, well, I checked around and Moser had them. I mentioned it to the shop that did my rear, and they said they would give me the same price. So I sourced it through them.

When I went to pick up the rear, I asked where he got it, and he said that it was a 'Trick Flow', I believe, and when he got it, it was in a Moser box. He called Moser, and they said they aren't in the catalog, and they are made by them for re-branding. (Notivce no name on the cover). Then he explained that the original one he got that Moser has listed didn't fit, and he sent it back. And at that time the sales person said that was the only one they have, which made him shop elsewhere.

Anyway, I can find out exactly who it was through if you're interested, but that's the story I got!

Last edited by HWYSTR455; November 11th, 2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old November 14th, 2011, 09:15 PM

I used a simple Harbor freight siphon fed cup gun, a clear plastic hose from ACE hardware, and a couple different brass fittings with holes in them, and held it together with some hose clamps to coat the inside of my frame. It worked really well. I found a fitting which sprayed in almost all directions at the same time.

The gun was cheap ($10?) another couple bucks for the clamps, hose, and fittings. The gun could only push the Por15 through about a 4 foot length of hose. A better gun with a metal cup (mine was plastic) would be able to do a farther stretch with a better pattern than mine. I didnt want to screw up my gravity HVLP's.

I haven't started on any of my bodywork but i will be using this in the cowl area and anywhere else i cant get to. I can get a picture of my set up when I get to my booth if you would like. I was very happy with how well it worked for my frame.
Old November 16th, 2011, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by 70cutt
I used a simple Harbor freight siphon fed cup gun, a clear plastic hose from ACE hardware, and a couple different brass fittings with holes in them, and held it together with some hose clamps to coat the inside of my frame. It worked really well. I found a fitting which sprayed in almost all directions at the same time.

The gun was cheap ($10?) another couple bucks for the clamps, hose, and fittings. The gun could only push the Por15 through about a 4 foot length of hose. A better gun with a metal cup (mine was plastic) would be able to do a farther stretch with a better pattern than mine. I didnt want to screw up my gravity HVLP's.

I haven't started on any of my bodywork but i will be using this in the cowl area and anywhere else i cant get to. I can get a picture of my set up when I get to my booth if you would like. I was very happy with how well it worked for my frame.
That would be great, I'd like to see the setup, as I'm sure others would too!

Old November 16th, 2011, 09:34 AM

Speaking of body work, block sanding is almost done, should see some color on it this week...

Attached Images
CutlassPaint03.jpg (39.5 KB, 83 views)
Old November 16th, 2011, 09:41 AM

One I forgot to post before, the deck lid and wing fitment. The shop says the repop deck lids fit well, and require minimal work. The wing also fit good, and required a little work to fit flush, but not excessive.

Attached Images
WingFit01.jpg (47.2 KB, 86 views)
Old November 16th, 2011, 11:46 AM
72 Olds CS

looks nice so far cant wait to see the final result.

where did you get the wing ?
Old November 16th, 2011, 12:20 PM

I'm anxious to see the final results too! Should be soon!

The wing and deck lid came from Parts Place. The deck lid had cutouts in the bracing so mounting the wing was a no-brainer.

Quick Reply: 1972 442 W-30 Tribute Project