1964 F85 Resto-Mod

Search this Thread

Old April 17th, 2012, 11:45 AM

DOC I checked out those parts, sweet your car has to steer like a go-cart.
Old April 17th, 2012, 04:06 PM
doc

Originally Posted by therobski
DOC I checked out those parts, sweet your car has to steer like a go-cart.
It handles better than any old four door should.....I grin ever time I take a curve a little faster than normal - do not get me started on on-ramps!!
Old April 20th, 2012, 07:02 PM

Cool brake pix! All GM parts except for the custom tubular upper control arm? I'd guess that cost quite a bit? I'm considering a complete conversion kit from Speedway Motors I came across a few days ago... I managed to snap a few quick pix of the new exhaust system with my phone camera. Looks ok for now, but I'd prefer a different exit location...

I managed to get the valves adjusted.. jeez what a pain with the roller rockers. Not used to those type.. Now it looks like rain here for the better part of the weekend. At least it's supposed to be nice for Carlisle next weekend!

I'm seriously thinking of doing the paint job myself after hearing a few horror stories of the local Maaco shop here actually blowing up a guys fresh crate motored Chevelle... I don't need that hassle... I'm undecided between a medium metallic blue or white as original. however white shows dirt so quickly.. In either case I think the hood should be semi flat black with a forward facing scoop. The qjet on it has a 1.5" tall air cleaner so the hood will shut... It's gotta be choking it big time. I need to get a 750 Holley on it and a real air cleaner and a hood scoop will give me the room.

Thoughts? Cheers, Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Olds 1.jpg (41.4 KB, 48 views)
Olds 2.jpg (45.3 KB, 48 views)
Old April 21st, 2012, 05:50 PM
I'm indecisive. Or am I..

Hi Mike,

I considered spraying my car myself too. The big thing for me is having to wait for the paint shop to get to it and having to leave my car there. One of my customers commented on a local P&B shop by saying " I don't have to pay someone to do a crappy job, I could do that myself!"
At least if you painted it yourself, It's a pride thing too. If you do, at least original white is extremely forgiving.

Is there typically a big Olds showing at the GM Nats? Carlisle is on my short list of events to see but it's not exactly next door for me.
Old June 24th, 2012, 03:54 AM

Greetings,

I finally got the car all primed up in true rat rod fashion. I used an epoxy based primer and it went on ok. I had several problems along the way .. murphys law stuff ... like the motor on my upright air compressor going up in smoke... then the line dryer splitting open and leaking... But, after much cussing, it got done. It turned out better than I expected for a first timer like me. I decided to paint the rims red and add a red pinstripe down the centre of the trim to pick up the red in the rims. Chrome trim rings finish the look. Now the car gets the attention it deserves, instead of the mutt-like spotted 3 color look....

However, the car is up for sale, for real this time. I had it listed on the local craigslist, [which just plain sucks, really] and now with the tri state auto locator. 2 guys called yesterday, one drove all the way in from west of Gettysburg to see it... Another time waster tho... wasted 3 hours of my time between waiting for him, test driving, and the intense bullshitting afterwards... then ending with a "... I'll let you know.." WTF? So many tire kickers, joy riders and time wasters...

And I'm only asking 3800.00... The motor alone has more than that in it.. It would be great if a forum member here could get it and give it a good life. I'm not in a total must-sell situation, but it's time to reduce the fleet here a bit.. I will reply to any questions in a PM..

Cheers, Mike
Attached Images
Olds 1.JPG (118.4 KB, 67 views)
Olds 2.JPG (120.5 KB, 64 views)
Olds 3.JPG (81.5 KB, 63 views)
Old June 24th, 2012, 06:57 AM

Good looking build
Old October 24th, 2012, 04:58 AM

Moving on..

Just wanted to check in one last time to tell you the car has been sold to some young kid in Maryland. I had bets with my friend there as the car drove away that the kid would blow it up or wreck it inside a month. I ended up selling for much less than my advertised price and I learned a lesson from all this.

More doors equals MUCH less in perceived "value".. You could have an immaculate 70 4 door cutlass with all the 442 goodies in pristine shape next to a rusted real 70 442 shell on blocks with no drivetrain, interior, glass and front clip sell for more...

Never again.

I've decided to move on to something new and have found great satisfaction in a certain 940 Volvo turbo sedan. It's like comparing apples to oranges. I don't think I'm ever going back to American cars...

I'd like to thank everyone for the positive comments and I hope some of my ideas helped others out. A great group here for sure.

All the best,
Mike
Old March 3rd, 2015, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by 1964F85
It runs and drives... My son and I took a test drive yesterday and went down to the gas station for a load of high test. It runs pretty good, but needs fine tuned, as the carb was set up to run on a 330. My latest problem is cooling... as you can see in the photo, there isn't much room to work with. I've added a junkyard flex and I even custom shortened the spacer 1/2" to get it oh-so-close [at the bottom anyway...], but it still runs about 210 or so. I have a brand new 180 high-flow thermostat in it now. I tried to add a fan to the front of the rad this morning, from a ford taurus, [my fav. factory fan to use like this.. used several to great effect on 2 other cars..], but the space is too narrow. I tried to mount it to the front and use it as a pusher by wiring it backwards. However it was not efficient this way, so I'm back to square one.

The question of the day is: What factory fan is the thinnest to use? I have 3" room to use from rad to pump face and maybe 4.5" to use in front of the rad. I don't care if it's a domestic or foreign fan... as long as it fits the space.. Yes, I know I could go buy something, but I'm seriously low on funds... Besides the joy of factory fans are the fact you can get a replacement motor at any parts house. Try that with one of those no-name aftermarket fan$. Any suggestions?

I added a few guages to the inside and I've tried to keep it both old school and minimalist looking. The old hose clamp trick worked out perfectly and the dual gauges are mounted down low. Gotta love the column shift.. I'd rather keep it in this 4 door body...

After I get the cooling sorted, I'm going to have to tie up a few loose ends before really getting on it.. I've made a restraining strap from 1/4" steel, which ought to be in place to keep the cheap a$$ india motor mounts from ripping. Even as it sits now, you can tell it really wants to get up and go.. My son will try and help me post a few vid clips on you tube of this monster...

This monster is like Chuck Norris... it does not sleep.. it waits... **LOL*
What electric fan assembly did you use
And is it effective
Like when it's 90 outside