3.5 blues

Search this Thread

Old October 9th, 2011, 08:09 AM
morgan

3.5 blues

1999 intrigue 3.5 head gasket... garage says head is leaking(can feel surging from heater hose going to engine and making a poping sound from inside car...overheats) question.... can the rear head be replaced WITHOUT GETTING UNDER CAR...i'm wondering about how exhaust manifold comes off and i am somewhat physically impared(cant really get under car)...so can head be removed working entirely from top??? thanks a lot
Old October 11th, 2011, 09:48 AM
morgan

Originally Posted by pogo69
1999 intrigue 3.5 head gasket... garage says head is leaking(can feel surging from heater hose going to engine and making a poping sound from inside car...overheats) question.... can the rear head be replaced WITHOUT GETTING UNDER CAR...i'm wondering about how exhaust manifold comes off and i am somewhat physically impared(cant really get under car)...so can head be removed working entirely from top??? thanks a lot

any help with my question?? (can rear head gasket be romoved from working under hood only especially the exhaust manifold removal)

thanks, pogo
Old November 18th, 2011, 04:45 PM

any help with my question?? (can rear head gasket be romoved from working under hood only especially the exhaust manifold removal)

thanks, pogo
No and No. That 3.5 v6 is one of GM's biggest failures. That rear manifold includes the pipe that goes to the front head, and for that reason it cannot be removed without first pulling the trans. ASE certified mechanic with 15+ years experience here, book time is around 10hrs. Thats not including the head gasket change.

IMHO, the cars not worth fixing.
Old November 18th, 2011, 05:58 PM

Ouch...
Old November 18th, 2011, 08:55 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Originally Posted by DJS70cutlass
No and No. That 3.5 v6 is one of GM's biggest failures. That rear manifold includes the pipe that goes to the front head, and for that reason it cannot be removed without first pulling the trans. ASE certified mechanic with 15+ years experience here, book time is around 10hrs. Thats not including the head gasket change.

IMHO, the cars not worth fixing.
I have heard the 3.5 was a POS but my 99 Intrigue is 200 miles away from 200K with no engine problems other than normall stuff,Injector cleaning,AC clutch,Brakes rotors,Radiator & some sort of pressure valve and tune ups,It does use oil from what I'am guessing is valve seals but over all its been one of the best cars I have owned..........Did I just get lucky?
Old November 19th, 2011, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by BIGJERR
Did I just get lucky?
In a word yes.

As with any engine, regular oil changes and routine maintence is key. And as a neglected engine, the 3.5 WILL find a very expensive way to fail. The op's motor probably got ran with no coolant a few too many times and warped a head or two.
Old November 22nd, 2011, 07:05 AM
morgan

***update on my 99 intrigue****

here is in update and possibly a tip for others...when the garage diagnosed my car with head gasket failure due to overheating and a thumping noise from hoses(they said combustion gases mixing in with coolant causing loud poping noise from heater hoses)........ well i was upset and somewhat in disbelief, and i decided just for the heck of it to replace the 39.00 dollar thermostat...SURE ENOUGH...car now runs as before no overheat no poping noise temp gauge between 1/4 - 1/2 GARAGES GRRRRRRRR!!!! wanted to charge me thousands for a new engine rebuild all for a 40.00 dollar part...........thanks for replies
Old November 22nd, 2011, 07:56 AM

Great news! Looks like you are now the lucky one!

I remember my neighbor had an O/H issue with a Taurus long ago. Shop replaced head gaskets, radiator, and thermostat but it never helped. He had me look at it and the one of the cooling fan wires was melted and that fan was locked up. Stupid shop never checked BOTH fans. I replaced the fan and he lived happily ever after.
Incompetant shops - geez...
Old November 22nd, 2011, 10:35 AM

Perhaps the 3.5 is expensive to fix, but I must say my 2002 Intrigue has been with out a doubt the best car I have ever owned. The only criticisms of the engine would be it would be hard to work on because of the wide cylinder heads on a 90 degree V6 design and its lack of bottom end torque. But it sounds and acts very refined, smooth and loves to rev. As a bonus it is great on fuel. Other than oil changes, I haven't turned a wrench on it. I have always used Mobil 1 and changed the oil based on the indicator light.
My only problems have been an A/C condensor, and typical W body stuff like an upper strut mount and a front control arm bushing. The original rotors lasted 8 years. I plan on keeping it several more years. It looks and works like the day I bought it; if only Olds was still around I'd buy another.
When I need a torque rush I just hop in my SX for relief.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 07:09 AM
Administrator

The 3.5 is a good engine as long as its maintained. I don't understand why shops don't do a thorough diagnosis. I guess its easier to baffel with BS than dazzle with brilliance!
Old November 23rd, 2011, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I don't understand why shops don't do a thorough diagnosis.
I do.

Doing a full diagnosis on a car with the 3.5 is probably going to be a waste of time. Most times it just ends with us giving the customers money back after spending a week trying to fix their car. That not very profitable from a buisness standpoint, so they'll just give to the worst case senario to get you out the door and get another car in that they can make money on.

It may not be right, but its reality in the industry these days.

Last edited by DJS70cutlass; November 23rd, 2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 04:23 PM
Administrator

If a shop does not feel like messing with it they ought to say so up front!!! I have a few friends with smaller private shops that are very reputable that thrive on that kind of business.

I work at a car dealership, and am very familiar with whats profitable and whats not! Believe it or not we'd refer him to someone else!