original/reproduction 66 steering wheel

Old January 20th, 2015, 06:58 AM

original/reproduction 66 steering wheel

Hey guys I'm new to the olds side of town and starting my first frame off resto on a 66 cutlass 2dr hardtop... I've been checking out pricing and availability of all the interrior parts I'll need as the car is bare inside save for a Dash and some things that used to be seats... But I love the look/feel of the original steering wheel. It's in really rough shape and I was looking at where to get an original or a repro... I've checked all the normal vendors and all I can find are grants that look "similar".... Any ideas as to if and where I can find one in good shape or new?
Old January 20th, 2015, 07:04 AM

I have many 66-67 cars and parts. But, to be honest after over 35 years of dealing in Olds cars and parts I have never seen a (other than restored) 66 steering wheel that was not cracked. Some more than others but always cracks. It depends on how bad the one you have is as to whether it can be redone or not. I am not sure who is doing them right now. I just ran across a 67 wheel that was not cracked. The first one I had in all that time and over 60 cars.

Probably best to have yours restored, or get one that is better and have it restored.

If you need other parts let me now. I will try to help where I can.

Always best to email direct at lemoldsnut@aol.com

Thanks
Larry
Calls west coast time 8 am to 8 pm 541-815-4363
Old January 20th, 2015, 07:24 AM

You are talking about the deluxe wheel, with the horn buttons on the spokes, right? They are indeed close to impossible to find in good shape these days; rebuilt and restored wheels are expensive, above $500 iirc. OTOH, it isn't too hard to find the standard wheel in good shape--horn cap in the center, paint to match.
Old January 20th, 2015, 08:49 AM

Well that gives me more info than I had.. I'm not familiar with the different interrior packages.. Yes it's delux wheel and I kinda figured I'd have to get it rebuilt... Does anyone have experience with repaired wheels and how they look/ feel when are redone? The spokes on mine are good but the outer rim is all cracked with pieces missing... And whatever goes in the center is missing The price isent that big of a deal for me... If I get what I want I'll pay for it ...