1965 convertible top replacement, any idea how involved?

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2006, 11:19 AM

1965 convertible top replacement, any idea how involved?

Ok well I bought a 1965 Olds Jetstar 88 and it will need a new top soon (could last this summer, but is dryrotted and the back window is completely cloudy). i can just buy the rear curtain and plastic window from JC Whitney for $95 or I can get the whole top for $300 from JC Whitney.

I asked locally and one upol. shop wanted $2000 to redo it. I would rather spend $300 of course, but I know they charge $2000 for a reason (it may be very labor involved?.

So do you need special tools to do a convertible top repair or can the average layman do it in a weekend? I know it must be stretched etc on the whole frame and stapled etc...but I am fairly good with hand tools etc.

If it is more involved, I guess I will wait till my finances are back in order but $2000 for a top is rough.

I really dont care bc I drop the top every day it is over 60 degrees here in PA but the elements will get to the inside if I dont do something soon (it leaks when it rains in a few spots).

Thanks,
-Matt
Old May 9th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Past Administrator

I hear ya, $2,000 would put a dent in my budget too, but your are right. You usually get what you pay for. How much faith do you have in your handiwork? I have never done it so couldn't say firsthand.........
Old May 9th, 2006, 12:06 PM

convert top replacement

Well I am somewhat confident, but the thing is that once I take off the old top...there is NO way I can just say oh this is too involved and put it back on (bc Im sure it will fall apart from dry rot once I start to remove it). So that is my dilemma, unless I take it off and then have to give in to the $2000 guy...

Found this, some pretty good tips and pics (although for a mopar

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/h...how_to_replace
Old May 9th, 2006, 05:17 PM

I'm going through the same thing w/ my '66 Delta 88. Call around for prices, I've had quotes from $2700 - $1100. Also do a search online for suppliers. Hydro-e-electric in florida (1-800-343-4261) will send instructions on request, others may also. Review the instructions & then you can make a decision on how comfortable you are doing it yourself. I think I'm going to do mine. Either way, good luck.
Old July 25th, 2006, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by hoppers69
Well I am somewhat confident, but the thing is that once I take off the old top...there is NO way I can just say oh this is too involved and put it back on (bc Im sure it will fall apart from dry rot once I start to remove it). So that is my dilemma, unless I take it off and then have to give in to the $2000 guy...

Found this, some pretty good tips and pics (although for a mopar

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/h...how_to_replace
JC Whitney would not be my choice for a top!! you get what you pay for from there.. Iv'e done auto upholstery for 20yrs ( custom & complete restorations) and it can be VERY complicated to say the least. for one you have to have knowledge on where to staple everything! cause if you staple the top too short and it has to be moved up you now have staple marks in your new top that you CAN NOT get out!! they will be seen. I know it sounds like alot to bite off on one item but the plus side is: 1). It's done by a professional 2). it's got a warranty. 3). it will last a very long time cause it's done right. PS.. Also ask to look at some of there work it's always nice to see how they do there job.. Scot w.
Old July 25th, 2006, 07:12 PM

Thanks for the info, yeah I suspected JC Whitney wouldnt be so great for that cheap of a price. I actually found one local guy who will do it for $1200 with glass window, new top pads and well liner. I am meeting with him next week and will def ask to see his past work....no staple holes allowed! haha, thanks for the info!

-Matt