Adding a console for manual shift 70 442?

Search this Thread

Old March 16th, 2014, 05:31 PM

Adding a console for manual shift 70 442?

I think I would,d like to add a console to my 70, 4-speed 442. Guess I'm spoiled with today's cars and having something to lean on while driving.
Anyone tried this and how did it work out?
Old March 16th, 2014, 10:24 PM

The factory console equipped cars used a different shifter handle (and handle receiver possibly) compared to the non-console floor shift cars so at a minimum, you'll have to source an original floor shifter shifter setup (not the easiest thing to find).

Other than that it's pretty straightforward...

>The consoles are the same auto vs. manual floor shift and you add a plastic shifter surround/adapter on top of the console after you cut the console for this piece (you also cut a small strip from the underside half of the console to clear the hump under the carpet from the metal shifter hump/shroud that's attached to your floorboard.

>You'll need the front and rear console mounting brackets as well...available repro or you can usually find nice used pieces for those.

>Woodgrain insert for the manual floorshift console is different from the automatic floorshift console and also available repro (and sometimes used as well).

>Of course you'll want accurate instructions for placing/mounting the console...get it in the wrong place and the shifter handle can hit against the plastic adapter and crack it fairly quickly.

The Parts Place, Inc sells a plastic shifter adapter/surround...a complete kit I believe with the plastic adapter, upper rubber shifter handle boot and chrome rectangular "trim ring".

Depending on what you are looking for (restored or unrestored console) I have many of the pieces here (restored console, unrestored console, used two piece woodgrain setup, repaired plastic shifter adapter and chrome trim ring, etc). Also have an original 4 speed floor shift car with factory console as reference for accurate measurements/placement.
Old March 17th, 2014, 05:20 AM

If your car has the original Hurst shifter, you'll only need the handle for console equipped cars, the shifter is the same.
Old March 29th, 2014, 08:32 PM

The floor hump is the same,the lower boot is the same,the shifter mechanism and receiver is the same.
The chrome handle is different. The one for the console has more offset to move the lower section over to the center,to bring it up through the center of the console,then curves back towards the driver. I have a spare handle to to trade or sell. I can also supply a show-quality,restored 4-spd console,if needed.
Old February 12th, 2015, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by 507OLDS
The floor hump is the same,the lower boot is the same,the shifter mechanism and receiver is the same.
The chrome handle is different. The one for the console has more offset to move the lower section over to the center,to bring it up through the center of the console,then curves back towards the driver. I have a spare handle to to trade or sell. I can also supply a show-quality,restored 4-spd console,if needed.

507Olds do you still have the shifter arm for a console available? and how much? Thanks Its for a 70 442
Old May 19th, 2017, 01:46 PM

Console

Originally Posted by Oldracerjones
I think I would,d like to add a console to my 70, 4-speed 442. Guess I'm spoiled with today's cars and having something to lean on while driving.
Anyone tried this and how did it work out?
Yes, I added a console to my 72 S. It turned out great