Recirculate Air Door Vacuum Actuator

Search this Thread

Old September 12th, 2007, 05:43 AM

Recirculate Air Door Vacuum Actuator

Heya! I recently took the air plenum out from underneath my dash. I had a leaking heater core and I needed to re route all of my vacuum controls so my air doors work correctly. It turns out that one of my vacuum actuators is busted. The recirculate air door actuator is bad. It is the one with two vacuum ports in it that is mounted on the outside of the housing in the engine bay. It opens the door 80% of the way when the AC is set to vent and then closes it when you set it to recirculate. Does anyone know where I can get one of these air door actuators? I went to the local auto parts store and they didn't even have generic ones. I figure they are pretty common in early GM cars. Where should I look for one of these? I can always put a cable in to operate the air door but that would be sort of a bummer. Any suggestions? Oh, BTW, my car does have AC.
Old September 13th, 2007, 05:25 AM

C'mon guys! I need some info. Surely someone knows something about these vacuum actuators.
Old September 13th, 2007, 06:06 PM

TTT
Old September 14th, 2007, 05:04 AM

blend air

Din you try fissick kanter or ussupply ?
Old September 14th, 2007, 05:17 AM

I haven't looked in my Kanter catalog. And I don't think Fusick has any right now. They carry stuff like that from time to time in their NOS insert. I might just have to search through local salvage yards.
Old May 11th, 2009, 06:18 AM

sorry if this is so old that a comment is irrelevant but I just had to chime in. On all 3 of my cars, my mechanic "wired" my recirc door closed so I have recirc on all fan speeds, not just HIGH the way it came. It makes for about a 10 degree (cooler) difference and it's like that on all fan speeds. I do not know how he did it but we have done it to all 3 (as well as a VIR retrofit, but that is a whole different story and probably only applies to 74 75 76)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
cool breeze.jpg (43.1 KB, 64 views)
Old May 11th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Geezer

Originally Posted by jeffreyalman
sorry if this is so old that a comment is irrelevant but I just had to chime in. On all 3 of my cars, my mechanic "wired" my recirc door closed so I have recirc on all fan speeds, not just HIGH the way it came. It makes for about a 10 degree (cooler) difference and it's like that on all fan speeds. I do not know how he did it but we have done it to all 3 (as well as a VIR retrofit, but that is a whole different story and probably only applies to 74 75 76)

Since you have resurrected this thread, it is appropriate to note that many times issues with the fresh air blend door are often found in distortion of either the plenum or door preventing it from functioning as it should. Time and heat has a way of doing this and more often than not there is a jump to conclusion the vacuum motor is the culprit.

Ford products of the same era often have the same problem as well, though the Ford system was somewhat different control wise it was actually produced for Ford by GM. Heck we even had a 1999 Town Car that suffered from that problem within a year of the car being produced.