new top, loose window ?

Search this Thread

Old July 7th, 2011, 08:54 AM

Location: from Wisc, then Texas, then Kansas, now back to Texas,
new top, loose window ?

I got a new top , made by Keey , I think I got it thru Parts Place. Dosen't matter.... I took it to a upholstery shop, cause I couldn't get the corners to come out right. He had it for a week charged me $650, ,, and after I got it home, I notice the rear window (hard glass), was real loose, you can easily flop it up and down when the top is up and secured. He said it has to be that loose,cause when you lower it , it gets way to tight and it may break the glass. I lowered and raised the top, today, and I could still get 'some' movement with the glass, not as tight as he made it out to be , ....he said he would tighten it , but would not be responceable for the window breaking. If I bring it back to him ( 50 miles away ) he'll probabley keep it the another 2 weeks...... does the glass have to be loose ? or is he just jacking me around ? Will he tighten up too much , so it WILL brreak ?
Old July 7th, 2011, 09:03 AM

Almost sounds like the top is not stretched tight enough int he back window area...
I have a Kee top and the glass seems tight, although I never actually tried to move it... Maybe now I will need to try to move it!
Old July 7th, 2011, 09:29 AM

It's easy to see mine is loose, when the top is up, the bottom of the window sags down .
Old July 7th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

He's giving you a load of crap.

I did the top on my Skylark myself about 20 years ago (same car), and that window was tight, like it's supposed to be. Never had a problem with it.

Read the section on top installation in your Fisher Body Manual, and you'll see how it's supposed to go.

This is why I would NEVER bring my car to an "expert" to have a top installed.

- Eric
Old July 7th, 2011, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by knighthawk
It's easy to see mine is loose, when the top is up, the bottom of the window sags down .
Sag is bad! It should not be that way.
When the top is lowered the window becomes loose so it will not get damaged in t he well.
Old July 7th, 2011, 10:27 AM

that's kinda what I think, I think he was just B S 'in me . I think he had a hard time getting it where it is, and just stopped there........i also got a call in to Kee.................no answer yet........
Old July 7th, 2011, 07:42 PM

I talked to guy that 'did' my top , he said he would tighten it, only if I signed a waiver releaseing him from it should it ever break. I asked around, and the 'word on the street' is, that he is good with upholstery. So maybe not to good with tops ? my guess is he broke one once. But, now he's so busy , says he can't get it back in to his shop for 2 weeks ! In the mean time , I;ll take it to another shop, just to let them look at it. I knew I should have done it myself !!!!!1 I never had to take anything anywhere to get anything done before....... and now I know why ! I'd been better off to pay some one to out and help me !!!!!!!!1 ...PS..KEE called me back and (the maker of the top ), they said tp pull it tight and it will NOT break the glass. .......another fine mess..........
Old July 8th, 2011, 05:10 AM

My rear window is nice and tight. A lot of thumb pressure on its edge will push it down about 3/8". When it goes down, it loosens a LOT by design.
I think it would take a lot more than fabric stretching to break a glass window (if a quality one)!
Your top guy is not doing something right.
Tops are very tricky - it is one of the few jobs I would leave to a pro, which this guy does not seem to be....
Old July 8th, 2011, 07:35 AM

when you look at mine , you can see the rear window deifinitly sag a good inch with out any pressusre. What he actually said was, there isn't enough room in the compartment for the window and if it was any tighter it would.....any way I found a couple more shops, willing to look at it Monday.
Old July 8th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by knighthawk
What he actually said was, there isn't enough room in the compartment for the window and if it was any tighter it would...
He is either a liar on an imbecile.

Take your pick.

- Eric