Legendary Auto Interiors = Quality

Search this Thread

Old September 30th, 2010, 12:03 PM
STOP call'n it a Chevelle

Talking Legendary Auto Interiors = Quality

It finally came time to order my major interior componets. I looked at Year One, OPGI, Fusicks, the lot. My '68 Cutlass S was Metallic Parchment and Black from the factory. Previous Owner had recovered the seats and sprayed the interior pearl. He didn't take the sail panels down and the colour difference was drastic.

Anyways, I was going to redo it in pearl. I made the mistake of ordering the bucket seat backs and bases from YearOne who sells PUI. They would not fit on my original seats that I had just removed to old cracked/scuffed worn ones. They were shipped back today.

Last week I bought the front and rear upholstery in Metallic Parchment for Legendary's eBay store. Their eBay Store prices are at the ~15% off the catalog price. If what you want is not on the eBay store, email them through eBay and you might get lucky.

Today, after about 3 emails each back and fourth, I ordered door panels, rear panels, seat backs (2ea) and seat bases (2*2pcs). They offered to add this to my original order at the same list rate(~15% off) and not charge me more shipping. These pieces the door panels , rear panels and upholstery are made to order. They do not set on a shelf for ever. My ETA for all Oct 18th and I can not wait.

As others have said Legendary's customer service is amazing. Sounds the the quality is there - hand made to order. I asked the person on the phone if PUI made their plastic pieces and the reponse a laugh followed by "I'd feel bad giving PUI stuff to my garbage man."

For everything I orderd - door panels, rear panels, bucket seat upholstery, rear bench upholstery, bucket seat backs and bases, my bill came just under $1000 including shipping. Catalog pricing puts it at just under $1200 with out shipping. Wow, thats closer to 20% off

I know $200 is really a huge amount compared to the whole build bugdet, but it feels good. I hope the product is as good as the buying experience. If it is I will be a lot.

Adam

P.S. No they did not buy this advertisment. I did mention the Legendary was highly recommended on CO. They said thanks and that they are happy to say they've hear that from other customers.

Last edited by arodenhiser; November 19th, 2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old September 30th, 2010, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by arodenhiser
I know $200 is really a huge amount compared to the whole build bugdet, but it feels good.
Actually, it is not that much, given the beauty, originality, and value they will add to your car. 200 is what, three cable tv bills??

Originally Posted by arodenhiser
I hope the product is as good as the buying experience. If it is I will be a lot.
I am still , even a year afterward.
Can't complain with this...

Seat covers, door panels, & quarter panels all came from Legendary.
Carpet was ordered through them, but came from ACC.

Check out my interior thread for hints, tips, tricks, things to avoid, and to get the excitement building.
Post a thread on your progress, too!
Old September 30th, 2010, 01:21 PM

Rob, I know you have heard this but I gotta say your interior looks incredible!
Old September 30th, 2010, 06:51 PM

They stood behind their seat covers when the buttons popped off like popcorn. It still amazes me why they won't countersink their buttons like the factory did. I ordered another $600 in door panels and other odds and ends because of their outstanding after the sale service.
Old September 30th, 2010, 07:15 PM
GM Enthusiast

Congrats on your purchase. I had posted a thread as well on seat cover installation. Looking forward to seeing yours too. Post pictures and questions, we'll be happy to help.
Old September 30th, 2010, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
Congrats on your purchase. I had posted a thread as well on seat cover installation. Looking forward to seeing yours too. Post pictures and questions, we'll be happy to help.
I will definitly post results. It maybe a while. Time seems so hard to find right now, but she is slowy going to be put back together. I started a build thread here. I got the first two years of ownership covered. Next ppost will reach the year 2000.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...pe-millie.html

I got the first two years of ownership covered. Next post will reach the year 2000.

Adam
Old October 1st, 2010, 05:14 AM

Very happy with Legendary's product and service. Attached are some pics of my pearl interior for my 71 442 convertible. I am trial fitting all panels and removing them since I have one last visit to the body shop for a punch list. I'm also thinking of leaving the interior out until the convertible top is installed. This should make it easier for the installation of the top. This is a numbers matching car with pearl interior and white rag top. It's going to be a challange to keep clean but a nice combination with the viking blue.

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
HPIM2707.jpg (54.6 KB, 161 views)
HPIM2722.jpg (46.0 KB, 139 views)
HPIM2725.jpg (35.2 KB, 110 views)
HPIM2723.jpg (35.2 KB, 106 views)

Last edited by fjross; October 1st, 2010 at 05:38 AM.
Old October 1st, 2010, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by fjross
This is a numbers matching car with pearl interior and white rag top. It's going to be a challange to keep clean but a nice combination with the viking blue.
Dave
Looks very nice, I really can't wait now. Why did you not go with the fabric covering the table? A nice fresh fruit interior would look good. You would care abut keeping it clean, a little dirt would look natural.

I think keeping the interior out of the car until the last possible minute is a good idea too.

Adam
Old October 5th, 2010, 07:34 PM

Kickass, I hear Legendary is the new top notch place to go to besides PUI interiors.
I got all new seat cushions and covers from PUI directly. I'm very happy with the quality.

442Completed3Copy.jpg

Originally Posted by MN71W30
They stood behind their seat covers when the buttons popped off like popcorn.
I've lost 2 of my new one's on my PUI seat covers already.
They are made quite well......but not sure how the hell those buttons got torn off so easily.
I guess I should call them and ask if they can send me some replacements.

Funny thing is I've heard MANY complaints about losing buttons so I was going to just
leave them off to begin with......but I didn't.
Old October 9th, 2010, 12:27 PM

buttons?

I am very happy with my Legendary seat covers and customer service... I'm about 2/3s of the way in getting the seats rebuilt and installed.... Don't remember which thread or post talked aobut Legendary buttons popping off, but he ended up building a washer that was sunk in like the original backing of the buttons. I have taken the backing of the old seat buttons, took a screw driver and opened the split a little more and then pulled the metal fastener on the back of the Legnedary seat button up snug. Hopeing it will provide a sunken spot to protect the button on the bottom of the front seat.... Guess time will tell if it actually works? I decided not to do the back of the seat hoping that won't be a problem.. also did not do the back seat since I don't plan on carrying many folks back there.....
Richey
Old October 9th, 2010, 01:44 PM

The original covers had a washer that counter sunk the buttons. The covers are sent out looking like the cover on the left. When you fix them make up some washers yourself like I did on the right cover. I haven't lost a button since.

Last edited by MN71W30; October 9th, 2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old October 21st, 2010, 11:02 AM

While I've been a huge supporter of Legendary (both vocally and financially-haha) over the years, I'm really not happy with my door panels for my 442. For starters, they didn't fit well at all. Second, and more importantly, the "chrome" covering on the trim strips on the panels came off almost completely. Because I haven't been around my car much since the panels have gone on, I haven't done anything about them yet, but I'm not sure about my course of action here. Because they were such a headache trying to fit, I'm not sure about attempting to have them repaired or replaced. I might just try gluing on the coating and see if it works.

I'll try to get some pics this weekend and post them here to show you what I'm taking about. I just thought I'd post in case anyone else had this problem. I'm really happy with the seat covers, so I'm a little disappointed with this.
Old October 21st, 2010, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by 68Tom
While I've been a huge supporter of Legendary (both vocally and financially-haha) over the years, I'm really not happy with my door panels for my 442. For starters, they didn't fit well at all. Second, and more importantly, the "chrome" covering on the trim strips on the panels came off almost completely.
Send your complaint and pictures to the Legendary folks also. Wait a day or so then call them and discuss the problem. Most likely they can send you a replacement strip or replace them for you. Not sure why they did not fit well...
I was VERY pick about my rear quarter panels that were made off-alignment. They got me fixed up though!!
DO give them a chance. Worst thing that could happen is you would be regluing the coating...

Great tip on button reinforcing...
Old October 21st, 2010, 12:59 PM

From what I understand, Legendary offers a life time warranty with there auto interiors. I would definitely give them a call to discuss.

Dave
Old October 21st, 2010, 01:18 PM

The original covers had a washer that counter sunk the buttons. The covers are sent out looking like the cover on the left.
Actually my PUI covers I got looked exactly like the one's on the right WITH the washers.
Is that Legendary covers on the left without the washers ??

They included a hardware bag with all the buttons that butterfly'd out past the included washers.
Seat covers all had chalk marked dots where they went. Very simple to install.

I still lost a button though after just a season ......must have broken off the butterfly leg or something.

Last edited by Aceshigh; October 21st, 2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old October 21st, 2010, 07:48 PM

Yes, those are both Legendary covers, a before and after pic. It'll be no picnic repairing the button you lost. I'm glad 68Tom warned us about the door panels because I'm waiting for some I ordered last month that I'll need to check out for the defects mentioned.
Old October 22nd, 2010, 05:51 AM

I've had both PUI interiors & Legendary,and there is definitely a difference.Yes,you have to reuse your washers,for seat covers that have buttons,but you also need to trim the seat foam,so the seat does not look like a stuffed pillow about to explode.That is not how they are supposed to look,and even if you buy the higher-priced seat foam,they still tell you that it needs trimmed.Last summer,Legendary had a good sale,so I bought interiors for 2 more of my cars.I got everything for less than what I would have paid for PUI pieces,so it was a no-brainer.Their colors & materials are better.The one thing I have noticed with PUI,that everyone is starting to complain about,is the door panels.After a few years,or less,the woodgrain inlays start to bubble & ripple,and looks bad.Even if there wasn't a sale,I was still buying the legendary stuff.I don't feel like doing things more than I have to.I do everything the best way possible.
Old October 22nd, 2010, 06:08 AM

I'm glad 68Tom warned us about the door panels because I'm waiting for some I ordered last month that I'll need to check out for the defects mentioned.
My door panels were pretty good - the only fit related issue is the that the windlace strip end was folded over which created a bulge that contacted the kick panels when closing the doors. It was not made like the originals. Not a big deal but they could improve that.

Also the perforations for the door lock switches were way off (I did not use them).
Old October 22nd, 2010, 06:14 AM

Trista from Legendary called me yesterday to tell me my upholstery, seat backs/bases and panels and windlace are shipping today. Original estimated ship date was the 18th. I was surprised to get a FYI called for them without inquiring first. I will show some pics when I get them. Lucky for me '68's do not have buttons but I will watch the panels closely.

Adam
Old October 23rd, 2010, 07:07 PM

I'm in the middle of ordering door and rear panels for my 68 442 convertible (I'm putting the order in Monday). I had a tough time getting Legendary to respond to me when I wanted them to match Year One's "almost everyday" 20% off sales but I finally got them to take 15% off with free shipping. I had to ship them out of state to my parent's in CT because, unfortunately, I live 20 minutes from Legendary & they wuold have to charge me 8%+ sales tax. I talked with Scott Karge this time after not getting any response from Tony Mariano. He was really helpful but gave me the same line about PUI (that's who Year One and Fusick use). He really didn't have to bad mouth PUI because I told him from the begining that I wanted to buy Legendary.

My door panel chrome is in good shape so it sounds like I should keep it around but I'm not sure it would be able to be used on the new door.

One thing that Legendary will do is make "assembled" rear panels. Year One (& I assume PUI) doesn't offer this. I've had a bunch of people tell me it's worth the extra money to have them do this. The other thing Legendary will do is reuse your existing upper metal from your panels if you send (or in my case "bring") them to them.
Old October 24th, 2010, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by allyolds68
I'm in the middle of ordering door and rear panels for my 68 442 convertible
15% off and free shipping is quite a deal - good negotiations!

I went the unassembled route and transferred the top rails (big PIA) and trim.
Here is the procedure on how I did mine:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post162232
The most challenging part was figuring out how to make it work! After I did that, the job itself was not too bad. Legendary uses an industrial stapler to staple the steel rails to the panels. I did it the way the factory did.
Take a look at my experience and see if the extra $ will be worth it or not for you... I cannot remember if the assembled ones come with the felt strip or not...

If you can take the rails to them, that may be the best way if you want them to assemble them.
Old November 1st, 2010, 04:47 PM

Does anybody make a 64 "post" base model ( Club Coupe) F-85 interior? Legendary does not. My seats are still good but I need to remove the covers to restore the frames-some rust- I think the covers will not hold together with new pads, hooks etc.
Old November 2nd, 2010, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by therobski
My seats are still good but I need to remove the covers to restore the frames-some rust- I think the covers will not hold together with new pads, hooks etc.
The fabric will most likely not hold together.
How bad is the frame?
Most were unpainted so they surface rusted. If not too bad, I would leave them alone if the foam is still good.
You could have some custom covers made, but they can get quite costly...
Old November 2nd, 2010, 10:51 AM

I'm hoping my panels are an aberration from the norm. Sadly, I've paid in more ways than one for them, as the guy installing them (I was out of town, not near my car) charged me a fortune to put them in because they fit poorly. And he did this despite them being defective. Basically, he's an idiot for doing so, but now I have panels that don't look great.

Finally getting to work on the car this weekend, so I'll assess the problem and move forward accordingly. I've been waiting for so long to get this car on the road, that I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them. I'll probably contact Legendary and see what they say. If I'm going to have to fork over money to ship them back and forth, I might look for another route.

But, as stated before, the actual material for the 68s is so much better than PUI's that it really makes going with PUI a very difficult choice. I'd still go with Legendary if you have a '68. Just make sure there's no issues with the panels before attempting an install (unlike the genius who did mine).
Old November 2nd, 2010, 11:08 AM

Sorry to hear about the issues - can you provide some detail on why they fit poorly?
I am curious... Do call the Legendary guys about the issues and get their opinion.
You can send pics, also. If there IS a defect withthe panels, they will pay for the rides back and forth. Happened to me. In fact they ended up rebuilding my rears free of charge, too!
Old November 9th, 2010, 10:06 AM

Everyone keeps saying that these are hand made at the time of order. But are they made in the USA?
Old November 9th, 2010, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by rennoc442
Everyone keeps saying that these are hand made at the time of order. But are they made in the USA?
From what I have heard by their tech support guy, they are made at a factory across the street from their sales office.
So yes, made in the USA...
Old November 9th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Ben

I'm currently Redoing a set of 1970 chevelle buckets for a friend. Dispite my suggestion to get legendary covers, he got PUI ones from a local vendor who had them in stock.

1st set- when i opened the sealed bag, it had one lower cover for a 69, rest of the peices were for a 70.... Had to call him to come back and get them... Back to the vendor, picked up another set. That fiasco set us back a week or so.

Got the new batch... Been installing these ones, no particular problems until sunday night when i got to the last cover and found this:

PUI-1970-SeatbackCover.jpg

Uh... Where is the other bolster listing sleeve? DOH!

Luckily my friend is in tight with this vendor who agreed to directly send me a replacement peice out of that other mismatched set he had returned already, and said he would deal with PUI so we didn't have to.

So thats cool... But I'd be seriously pissed if I had to sit on hold with PUI, to then have to wait a week for them to send me a replacement.

BTW, that little tag at the bottom says Inspected for Quality.

Anyway... 2 major problems with 2 sets of covers from PUI? Thats pretty poor QA if you ask me.
Old November 9th, 2010, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by RAMBOW
I'm currently Redoing a set of 1970 chevelle buckets for a friend. Dispite my suggestion to get legendary covers, he got PUI ones from a local vendor who had them in stock.

1st set- when i opened the sealed bag, it had one lower cover for a 69, rest of the peices were for a 70.... Had to call him to come back and get them... Back to the vendor, picked up another set. That fiasco set us back a week or so.

Got the new batch... Been installing these ones, no particular problems until sunday night when i got to the last cover and found this:

Uh... Where is the other bolster listing sleeve? DOH!

Luckily my friend is in tight with this vendor who agreed to directly send me a replacement peice out of that other mismatched set he had returned already, and said he would deal with PUI so we didn't have to.

So thats cool... But I'd be seriously pissed if I had to sit on hold with PUI, to then have to wait a week for them to send me a replacement.

BTW, that little tag at the bottom says Inspected for Quality.

Anyway... 2 major problems with 2 sets of covers from PUI? Thats pretty poor QA if you ask me.
I had PUI headliner for a 70 Chevelle that was sewn crooked in the seams. It had an area in the headliner that could not be tightened and it was baggy. I complained and they sent out another one but nothing for the several hours lost labor and trouble.
I learned my lesson.
Old November 10th, 2010, 09:33 AM

Just spoke with Legendary regarding my door panels. Apparently they were having problems with the chrome strips peeling off. I have to get some photos of the panels and email them to Legendary. At that point, they'll assess what needs to be done.
Old November 10th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Gary

I just ordered from them door panels for front and back and the sails and also the rear speaker panels, carpet and trunk floor cover and the head liner. It cost a little over 900.00 and chris says it will take about 4 weeks to make. I am going on your recommendation about them rob
Old November 10th, 2010, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by gh5168
I just ordered from them door panels for front and back and the sails and also the rear speaker panels, carpet and trunk floor cover and the head liner. It cost a little over 900.00 and chris says it will take about 4 weeks to make. I am going on your recommendation about them rob

I never had experience with their headliners, trunk kits, rear decks or sail panels. Let us know if they make 'em or they have a different brand on them.
Carpet and door panels were good, seat covers were excellent.
Old November 10th, 2010, 12:33 PM

I got all of my stuff over two weeks ago. Sorry for being so slow. I don't have any installed or assembled but the quality of their product seems very high. These are all in '68's Metallic Parchment and Black. Legendary was the only supplier I could find who does metallic parchement. I was planning to do a PUI Pearl and Black interior until I got the hard plastics from YearOne. I was dissappointed in the quality and fit. So I went with Legendary based on the reputation they have here on CO. Since they have M Parchment, my original factory trim, I chose that over the pearl.

The hard plastic parts - the seat backs and seat bases are a much thinker, denser, and fit so much better than the PUI set I had and sent back.

The seat back release button hole is the correct size and shape. The screw hole at the bottom also in the correct place. The PUI set had the button hole too small and the screw hole was off about 1/2". When I called to inquire with the supplier was told that they are a made to fit all GM A body cars (Chevelle) and some models have to be "tweaked" for individual fit.

The standoffs are cast into the pieces. Unlike the PUI set I had that were flat and recommended use their Seat back and Bases Standoff Kit, PN 12345 @ $19.95

The door and side panels look very good. All standard hole are punched and all option hole are marked and scored on the back. There is more relief and definition on these than my old ones. I did not know how soft and pillowed the panels should be. The chrome strips are protected with a low tack masking tape. Each piece has and date stamp so I know that they where built on demand.

They are glued and stapled together.

The rear panels ARE two tone. The PUI set from OPGI is not. Only front panels are two tone. I was told by OPGI that they don't bother two toning the rears because most of it is covered by the seat and it not very noticable.

The seat upholstery looks very good too. Every part of each peice has
handwriiten notes on them. The gran patterns are very clean and deep.

The sitching seems very strong and straight, and all the parts are there. I got front buckets and rear bench at the same time. They garranty that all the material will come from the same bolt so there will be no colour differences. In full light the door panel, seats and backs/bases all look the same colour. Very nice.

I will show more once I start assembling.installing.

Adam

P.S. Now if only I could get some new socks from Legendary. Mine seem to have a hole in them.
Old November 10th, 2010, 01:05 PM

Adam - thanks for the product review - very nice looking stuff!
They always seem to be improving stuff based on customer feedback, so IF you find anything wrong, let them know. It is nice to know a place can repro items this well.

Oh - make sure the hole perfs are in the right place before cutting - my power lock switches were way off! Luckily I found out before cutting.

Yea, I saw that hole in your sock. As we both know, the $$ go to the car first!!
Old November 10th, 2010, 02:53 PM

When I got my car the PO had the seats recovered in VELVET???

I just got my front and rear seat covers, I ordered them in October from Legendary (Halloween sale) They look nice and well put together, now I'm just waiting on the ACI cushions.
Old November 11th, 2010, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by 501Paratrooper
now I'm just waiting on the ACI cushions.
Let us know what you think of those costly cushions. For the price they should fit perfectly and be quite comfy!
Old November 11th, 2010, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Let us know what you think of those costly cushions. For the price they should fit perfectly and be quite comfy!
Well the costly cushions came in and they look great, but it would be nice to see some of the others to compare just to make sure the're worth the extra coin...

I'll post pic's of the final install hopefully soon.
Old November 26th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Gary

I never had experience with their headliners, trunk kits, rear decks or sail panels. Let us know if they make 'em or they have a different brand on them.
Carpet and door panels were good, seat covers were excellent.
Ok Rob I received the carpet and it is not what I had in mind. It is 2 piece and the front carpet is suppose to overlap the rear. I thought that it would be a one piece set up. The carpet in my opinion appears to be thin. I threw the carpet that was in it away so I don't have anything to compare it with. I called Legendary today and spoke with them. I let them know that I was not sure I was going to send it back. Did your carpet also come in 2 pieces? So far that is the only thing I have received from them and I hope I am satisfied with the rest of it
Old November 26th, 2010, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by gh5168
Ok Rob I received the carpet and it is not what I had in mind. It is 2 piece and the front carpet is suppose to overlap the rear. I thought that it would be a one piece set up. The carpet in my opinion appears to be thin. I threw the carpet that was in it away so I don't have anything to compare it with.
What year is your car? For 72, the original carpet was 2 piece and the stuff I got was two piece. It installed the same way. Thickness for the carpet was the same, but the jute was thinner on the new carpet. An extra layer of generic, cheapo jute (available at local hot rod shops) was used under mine (as well as dynamat and dynaliner), so after all that, the thickness was similar. I was happy with it but I thought the molding could have been a little better.
Keep in mind that the carpet comes from Auto Custom Carpet, a leading mfgr of molded carpet.
Most other vendors sell this same stuff. In the end, i am happy with it. Cannot tell anything bad with it all installed...

I recommend you unroll it and set it somwhere out of the way so it will unwrinkle itself. I used scrap 2x4s to make a frame to hold it until I needed it.
Old November 26th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Gary

What year is your car? For 72, the original carpet was 2 piece and the stuff I got was two piece. It installed the same way. Thickness for the carpet was the same, but the jute was thinner on the new carpet. An extra layer of generic, cheapo jute (available at local hot rod shops) was used under mine (as well as dynamat and dynaliner), so after all that, the thickness was similar. I was happy with it but I thought the molding could have been a little better.
Keep in mind that the carpet comes from Auto Custom Carpet, a leading mfgr of molded carpet.
Most other vendors sell this same stuff. In the end, i am happy with it. Cannot tell anything bad with it all installed...

I recommend you unroll it and set it somwhere out of the way so it will unwrinkle itself. I used scrap 2x4s to make a frame to hold it until I needed it.
My carpet is a 72 also with bucket seats and a console. The carpet came from TRIM PARTS. I sprayed Lizard Skin as a sound barrier but I thinking about adding maybe some extra jute to it also. Did you have to use Glue on the back of the carpet to hold it in place?

Quick Reply: Legendary Auto Interiors = Quality