Legendary Auto Interiors = Quality

Search this Thread

Old November 26th, 2010, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by gh5168
My carpet is a 72 also with bucket seats and a console. The carpet came from TRIM PARTS. I sprayed Lizard Skin as a sound barrier but I thinking about adding maybe some extra jute to it also. Did you have to use Glue on the back of the carpet to hold it in place?
I have not had experience from that company - I wonder why it came from them and not ACC?
That spray stuff is a very thin layer. The factory jute was almost 1" thick, so you will probably need another layer. However, do a dry fit in your car to see what it is like. If it does not seem to rest int he floorpans, or there is space on the sides, then you will need extra jute.
I did not use any glue on mine, since it stays down well when everything is assembled. If you have glue, it could not hurt. I thought of it as too much of a mess-maker...
Old November 26th, 2010, 02:57 PM

Personally, I'd definitely put some OEM jute down or some of the aftermarket padding like Dynomat or the like. It'll cut down on heat transfer up through the floor.

I used as little glue as possible, because if I ever needed to get at my wiring, I don't want to have to destroy my Dynomat and carpet when I pull it up. However, because the carpets for the '68s fit so poorly, I had to use it in a few spots.

I'm sure Rob will chime in with his experience in his 72.
Old November 30th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Ben

The carpet will have the factory style jute glued to the back of it- so unless you want to use extra, there is really no need.

If it were me, i'd dynomat it, then just lay the carpet set over that.

I have the trim parts carpet in my 66 and i like it. I have heard many complaints (and experienced some) of the fit problems of the ACC carpets going over the transmission hump, and i was really happy with how the TrimParts carpet fit in my car. Hard to say for a 68+ carpet though as the floors are different from the 66.

The factory did not glue down the carpets and there is really no need- as the kick panels, firewall pad, seats & sill plates all act to keep it down and keep it from moving.

I would advise you to get the carpet out of the box, put it in a small room with a little space heater to warm it up really well for a few hours before you start putting it in the car.

When you put it in the car, try and keep the temp up inside the garage or in the car (i acutally put a space heater where my back seat goes and get it up around 75 degrees in the car)

This will help the carpet to lay flat and follow the contours of the floor. Even though they are preformed to fit the floor pan, the heat definitely helps.

When i did mine, as soon as i got the front peice trimmed and pretty much in place, I took a heat gun (hair dryer might work as well) really roasted the valleys next to the tranny hump up at the front, then put a sandbag in each valley to pull it tight- Not sure how much this actually helped me to prevent the puffy over the tunnel problem- but it was suggested to me, and i don't have that problem, so i guess it worked.

anyway, with the sandbags holding the carpet tight against the tunnel, i finished trimming the sides, re-installed the kick panels- and worked my way to the back.

A soldering gun makes a nice clean burn through when you need to locate your seatbelt holes, and the dimmer switch.

Also... if you would like to cut your carpet properly for your seats (both buckets, and bench seats) here is a little diagram i made up of how the factory cuts were. This made it so the carpet hides the seat frame feet. Can't even say how many times i've been at a show looking at cars, and see the seats just bolted over the top of the carpet.

Green dots show where the bolt/studs actually are
factory-carpet-cuts1.jpg

The results after you have installed the seats- No more ugly seat Feet!!
factory-carpet-cuts2.jpg

anyway, hope this helps.
Old November 30th, 2010, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by RAMBOW
The carpet will have the factory style jute glued to the back of it- so unless you want to use extra, there is really no need.
The ACC carpet had 1/2" jute and the factory carpet had almost 1". I had to use more as well as some dynamat.

I have the trim parts carpet in my 66 and i like it. I have heard many complaints (and experienced some) of the fit problems of the ACC carpets going over the transmission hump, and i was really happy with how the TrimParts carpet fit in my car. Hard to say for a 68+ carpet though as the floors are different from the 66.
The tranny hump did give me some fits in my 72 but I fixed it with adding more jute under it. Not sure if it was a molding issue or just too little jute glued to it... Maybe the trim parts one IS better!

The factory did not glue down the carpets and there is really no need- as the kick panels, firewall pad, seats & sill plates all act to keep it down and keep it from moving..
Right. If you need to remove it later, it will come out easily.

A soldering gun makes a nice clean burn through when you need to locate your seatbelt holes, and the dimmer switch.
And for the door sill screws, too. Just be sure to do not wish to use that gun for soldering anymore... I have a old junky one just for uses like this.

Also... if you would like to cut your carpet properly for your seats (both buckets, and bench seats) here is a little diagram i made up of how the factory cuts were. This made it so the carpet hides the seat frame feet. Can't even say how many times i've been at a show looking at cars, and see the seats just bolted over the top of the carpet.
Great diagram - that was pretty much how the factory did it and how I did it too. Seat feet are very unsightly.
Old August 9th, 2018, 07:03 PM

What color for. Acc is this carpet?

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Actually, it is not that much, given the beauty, originality, and value they will add to your car. 200 is what, three cable tv bills??

I am still , even a year afterward.
Can't complain with this...

Seat covers, door panels, & quarter panels all came from Legendary.
Carpet was ordered through them, but came from ACC.

Check out my interior thread for hints, tips, tricks, things to avoid, and to get the excitement building.
Post a thread on your progress, too!
what color carpet is this in the picture

Last edited by fallguy442; August 9th, 2018 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Color of carpet
Old August 9th, 2018, 07:27 PM

1971 Pearl white Legendary

About three months old; pretty happy. I also ordered their door pull straps in pearl.

Old August 9th, 2018, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
My door panels were pretty good - the only fit related issue is the that the windlace strip end was folded over which created a bulge that contacted the kick panels when closing the doors. It was not made like the originals. Not a big deal but they could improve that.

Also the perforations for the door lock switches were way off (I did not use them).
what color carpet is this you ordered from acc
Old August 10th, 2018, 04:29 AM
Once Olds Always Olds

Following as new updates coming in.
Old August 10th, 2018, 04:30 PM

Legendary Rallye Seats - Awesome in my book!!

I redid my seats last year. After some serious contemplation, I ordered the Rallye Seat Kit for my car. I also bought all new plastic trim pieces too. I removed all of the carpet and installed some Dynamat Extreme on the floors. My original carpet was in mint condition, so it was cleaned and reinstalled. The seats are super comfortable and very supportive. The quality of the kit was great!! I posted a few pictures for reference.

Thanks,
Rick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1473.JPG (2.04 MB, 11 views)
IMG_1480.JPG (1.84 MB, 12 views)
IMG_1478.JPG (1.98 MB, 10 views)
IMG_1483.JPG (1.60 MB, 10 views)
IMG_1489.JPG (1.92 MB, 15 views)
IMG_1525.JPG (2.09 MB, 14 views)
IMG_1527.JPG (1.81 MB, 16 views)
Old August 10th, 2018, 04:38 PM

A few more photos to share

So my floors were just perfect. You never know with a convertible. I can honestly say that it was never out in the rain with the top down!!
Attached Images
IMG_1478.JPG (1.98 MB, 18 views)
IMG_1482.JPG (2.15 MB, 15 views)
IMG_1479.JPG (1.86 MB, 16 views)
IMG_1485.JPG (2.04 MB, 16 views)