Is it possible to change red seats to black with paint or dye?

Search this Thread

Old June 10th, 2010, 08:10 AM

Is it possible to change red seats to black with paint or dye?

I have found a great deal on some seats for my 67 but they are red , is it possible to dye them black (and have them look right) or should I not even bother trying.

Thanks

Last edited by ddx77; June 10th, 2010 at 08:17 AM. Reason: added text
Old June 10th, 2010, 08:29 AM

I don't see why you couldn't dye them. They have spray on dye now that works great. Which you can get at any auto parts store.
Old June 10th, 2010, 09:11 AM
car guy

I don't see any color change dye lasting on a wear surface like a seat. Door panels and dashed exc are fine but you *** sliding in and out of the seat will not last.
Old June 10th, 2010, 09:16 AM

Thanks! Hey did you get my PM about the radiator?

Originally Posted by gearheads78
I don't see any color change dye lasting on a wear surface like a seat. Door panels and dashed exc are fine but you *** sliding in and out of the seat will not last.
Old June 10th, 2010, 09:48 AM

Plus you would get black dye all over your rear end whenever you sat down!
Old June 10th, 2010, 10:01 AM
car guy

I did. I was trying to to find the part# and forgot to get back to you. I have not found it yet.
Old June 10th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Registered

You can dye them and it holds up fine, have to use the the right product and follow the instructions. The cleaning is the secret, have to have good adhesion and any armor-all or silicone type products are hard to remove but they have stuff to do it. I've seen black interiors done in light colors and no wear after several years, vinyl tops too.
I've never used it but if I ever do any seats color changes I would use Parasol Varikote, guaranteed not to crack, chip or flake off. It's dye and penetrates the surface, unlike products like SEM that are paint with a flex agent added.

http://www.parasolinc.com/Products.a...uctID=VARIKOTE
Old June 10th, 2010, 12:06 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by ddx77
Thanks! Hey did you get my PM about the radiator?
found it...Autozone part#433840

http://72.22.90.30/phpBB2/viewtopic....light=radiator
Old June 11th, 2010, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
You can dye them and it holds up fine, have to use the the right product and follow the instructions. The cleaning is the secret, have to have good adhesion and any armor-all or silicone type products are hard to remove but they have stuff to do it. I've seen black interiors done in light colors and no wear after several years, vinyl tops too.
I've never used it but if I ever do any seats color changes I would use Parasol Varikote, guaranteed not to crack, chip or flake off. It's dye and penetrates the surface, unlike products like SEM that are paint with a flex agent added.

http://www.parasolinc.com/Products.a...uctID=VARIKOTE
Agreed! Dyes work great, careful prep is a must for lasting results.

Henry
Old June 11th, 2010, 10:20 PM

DO NOT DIE YOUR SEATS!!!!!!! it will cost you atleast 100 in die when you could buy new seat kit for 250, when i was young i was talked into dieing my door panels 2 match my seats and it did look good for a week or so untill some1 bumped into them and the die scratched and after a month it looked like sh-t!!!! i ended up having 2 buy new door panels after buying many $15 cans of the best spray die, on top of the money i lost it took around a week 2 die them right, i paint cars for a living i understand paint!! unless you car is a junker DO NOT PAINT YOUR SEATS!!!!!! buy a set of covers and hog ring them yourself its very easy
Old June 11th, 2010, 10:30 PM

AGAIN DO NOT DIE YOUR SEATS!!!! no offence but dont listen 2 any 1 who tells you 2!! even with a good ammonia prep IT WILL SCRATCH!!! especially on seats!!! like i said im a body man/painter its all ive ever done!!! TRUST ME!!! die will work on vinyl tops and last if you die it back the same color if you change the color it will chip and scractch with in months, it will not work on convertable top at all because when the top goes down the die comes off in the creases, if you use on seats it will come off in the creases and rub off on your clothes, it will be much better if you just cover them
Old June 12th, 2010, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by sx455raidercelticfan
AGAIN DO NOT DIE YOUR SEATS!!!! no offence but dont listen 2 any 1 who tells you 2!! even with a good ammonia prep IT WILL SCRATCH!!! especially on seats!!! like i said im a body man/painter its all ive ever done!!! TRUST ME!!! die will work on vinyl tops and last if you die it back the same color if you change the color it will chip and scractch with in months, it will not work on convertable top at all because when the top goes down the die comes off in the creases, if you use on seats it will come off in the creases and rub off on your clothes, it will be much better if you just cover them

That's your experience not mine. Had a 72 Cad deVille theft recovery, light blue car with missing interior. Purchased a red leather interior and dyed it dark blue and put 80,000 miles on the car and never had flaking or peeling issues. As the car neared its end the piping on the drivers side seat started to wear and show some red.

2nd experience was with a 64 Skylark with white interior, purchased green bucket seats, dyed them white and stood the test of time for at least 12 years until the seat covers started to tear apart but color never came off.

Coupe De Ville is long gone but Skylark seats still exist if you'd care to look for yourself.

Henry in Austin. Tx.