Wonky Glove Box Lock

Search this Thread

Old April 18th, 2010, 09:20 PM
...should get a life....

Wonky Glove Box Lock

One thing the previous owner didn't resto was the glovebox. It needs a new liner, decals and the whole lock can spin around 360 deg.
What holds the barrell etc in place? Should there be a clip that holds it steady? I notice a notch in the barrell about level with the back of the glovebox door which makes me think there's some kind of clip missing.
If someone could let me know, maybe post a pic of one and tell me where I can get on that would be nice. Or if there is no clip then how the heck do I stop this thing from moving around. This is a 1972 Cutlass / 442.
gloveboxlock002.jpg?t=1271650233
Old April 18th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Registered

I just fixed that on "The Prettiest One".
Very common problem.

There is a little slot in the bottom of the latch housing on the inside that you insert a small screwdriver or paper clip in then insert the key and pull out the lock cylinder. There is a tang that pops into that slot out if you put the key in and I think you can push it in and pull it out afterwards too IIRC?
The **** is part of the cylinder and when you get that off you'll see a threaded escutchen that holds the housing, most likely loose. I used a little loctite on the thread when I put it back together on mine and Sandy's. Cylinder slides back in and clicks in place.
Old April 18th, 2010, 10:42 PM
...should get a life....

Originally Posted by Bluevista
Very common problem.

There is a little slot in the bottom of the latch housing on the inside that you insert a small screwdriver or paper clip in then insert the key and pull out the lock cylinder. There is a tang that pops into that slot out if you put the key in and I think you can push it in and pull it out afterwards too IIRC?
The **** is part of the cylinder and when you get that off you'll see a threaded escutchen that holds the housing, most likely loose. I used a little loctite on the thread when I put it back together on mine and Sandy's. Cylinder slides back in and clicks in place.
Mate I was hoping you'd come to the rescue cos you said you'd been working on Sandy's g'box lock.
Now all I have to figure out is what an escutchen is
I'll give it a go tonight & see what happens.
Thanks Allan.
Old April 19th, 2010, 12:30 AM
...should get a life....

All fixed. Was a little tricky because while I was poking and prodding what I thought was the slot with the tang, the barrell just fell out. It's the escutchen which holds the tang in and my escutchen was fully disengaged so it all just hit the carpet.
So therefore not understanding how I got it apart it took a little while figuring how to put it back together. So the slot with the tang is the smallest one right at the back where you can't see it, as opposed to the other slots which are easy to get at.
Used loctite as suggested.
Thanks again for your help....I would never have figured that out.......and now I know what an escutchen is too.
Old April 19th, 2010, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Col Wickham
......and now I know what an escutchen is too.
Good, Now could you explain to me what "Wonky" is?
Old April 19th, 2010, 04:25 AM
Cutlass Lover

Colonel.... why do you want to get new glove box stickers? His are old and original.... gives him character! Don't you like them?

I knew Blue would tell you how to fix the latch.... he did a most excellent job on mine! He is very good at fixing things!

Jamesbo..... I would know what "wonky" is before I would know what "escutchen" is, LOL!! Wonky is what I am - out there cleaning friggin bolts!!
Old April 19th, 2010, 04:38 AM
Registered

Olds assembly manual terminology, don't blame me.
Glad the battle with the glove box lock came to a victorious conclusion.
Don't want to get stuck with a broken glove department door down by the billabong while your waltzing Matilda.

The lock escutcheon is a nut, wonky is nuts, Sandy's really an escutcheon cleaning her wonkys and bolts.
I know Slap-Chop Vince will be showing up with his nuts now.
Old April 19th, 2010, 04:51 AM
Cutlass Lover

Oh God.... you just make me laugh!!!
Old April 19th, 2010, 05:13 AM
...should get a life....

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Good, Now could you explain to me what "Wonky" is?
Certainly Jamesbo:

Adjective
wonky (comparative wonkier, superlative wonkiest)
Positive
wonky
Comparative
wonkier
Superlative
wonkiest
  1. (chiefly British and Australian) Lopsided, misaligned or off-centre.
  2. (chiefly British and Australian) Feeble, shaky or rickety.
So when I said the glovebox lock was "wonky", I meant it was shakey or wobbly or flimsy...ie it wasn't tight and centred.
However, the wonkiness was rectified with escutchen adjustment.
Old April 19th, 2010, 05:18 AM
...should get a life....

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Colonel.... why do you want to get new glove box stickers? His are old and original.... gives him character! Don't you like them?
You're right Sandy...I'll keep them. I'm putting a decent concealed sound system in so I might end up with a purpose build and very non-original glove compartment anyway.
Old May 10th, 2010, 06:34 PM

**** replacment

Originally Posted by Bluevista
Very common problem.

I'm trying to fit your answer to my probelm.... I'm restoring a 72 cutlass s and the lock to the glove box is laying in the glove box and appears to be missing what ever holds it in place. Not sure if it is a wonkie or an estrachain??? any thoughts on what I need to find and where to find it? or is it all there and I just need to insert the key and see what pops out??
thanks
Richey
Old May 10th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Cutlass Lover

Richey..... Here is an older thread that Bluevista posted a pic out of the assembly manual in. I don't know if it will help you or not, but maybe you can tell if you're missing any of the pieces.

1971 Cutlass glove box retainer nut?

That Cutlass is sure looking beautiful! I haven't checked out your thread lately - are you still adding to it?
Old May 11th, 2010, 03:16 PM
...should get a life....

Originally Posted by richeyb
I'm trying to fit your answer to my probelm.... I'm restoring a 72 cutlass s and the lock to the glove box is laying in the glove box and appears to be missing what ever holds it in place. Not sure if it is a wonkie or an estrachain??? any thoughts on what I need to find and where to find it? or is it all there and I just need to insert the key and see what pops out??
thanks
Richey
The escutchen is the nut that holds the lock in the glovebox lid, ie you poke the lock through the hole in the lid from the inside and secure it with the escutchen from the outside. Then you follow Bluevista's earlier instruction to get the barrel back in & secure. I found it easier to take the lot out (yours already is) and muck about with it then once I had figured out how to get the barrel in and staying in I fitted it. If the escutshen is missing you won't get it fitted.
There's a section in the Fisher body manual for 72 Olds which covers it and has pictures.
Old May 24th, 2010, 05:43 PM

Fixed Glove Box lock

Originally Posted by Col Wickham
The escutchen is the nut that holds the lock in the glovebox lid, ie you poke the lock through the hole in the lid from the inside and secure it with the escutchen from the outside. Then you follow Bluevista's earlier instruction to get the barrel back in & secure. I found it easier to take the lot out (yours already is) and muck about with it then once I had figured out how to get the barrel in and staying in I fitted it. If the escutshen is missing you won't get it fitted.
There's a section in the Fisher body manual for 72 Olds which covers it and has pictures.
Thanks I got the NUT (escutchen) from Ishish2 and put it all together... Had to take a pair of pliers to fit in the nut to trn the nut, tightening it.. Then just pushed in the locking cylnder, pushing in the locking tab and after probably 15 years the golve box, opens, locks and unlocks and actually works like new... Thanks to all, and especially Ishish2..
Richey
Old May 24th, 2010, 11:10 PM
...should get a life....

Good Onya Richey.
That's 3 '72 Oldsmobiles with newly functional glove box locks (yours, mine & Sandys) and that's gotta be a good thing