Seat Belt Buckle Gallery

Search this Thread

Old February 2nd, 2010, 02:37 AM

Seat Belt Buckle Gallery

Last time I checked, my car was missing all the seat belts.
Now, I like to "fly by the seat of my pants" as much as the next guy, but when that flight's final destination is "the pavement" with a (very) brief lay-over through "my windshield", I figure a seatbelt or two might do the seat of my pants some good.

I went looking for a decent set of seat belts and became instantly confused. Ebay listings seem to have d@mn near every GM make and model you could possibly slap a seat belt in listed as correct for their item.

My main focus is the buckles. If you guys could help me figure out what was A) "correct" and/or B) "an availabe option" in the various models and years I think it would be a big help.

So far it is looking like there were two varieties:

a standard which looks to mean black plastic buckle
-and-
a deluxe which looks to mean stainless steel buckle

I have collected a small gallery of possibilities that I am trying to narrow down. My focus is for my 1970 Cutlass S, but if one of these is strictly a certain year/model speak up as it would also help me via process of elimination. The more info the better.

1)
This was specifically stated as being out of a 70 442 convertible, but I was under the impression that true Olds belts should have the Fisher carriage logo(?).

2)
This appears to be the same shape buckle, but is stainless (with carriage this time)

3)
Another black plastic style that I found with both GM and Fisher logos.

4)
Another deluxe possibility.

5)
This style is used on airplanes and my favorite roller coasters, so I'm pretty sure it will "Do Work.", but just screams aftermarket to me.

I found lots of info on seatbelts for Camaros here. Not sure if any of that info translates to Oldsmobiles. I found somebody on the forum posted a build sheet with a code AK1 that tipped me off as to the deluxe belts.

Any and all help is appreciated!
Old February 2nd, 2010, 02:54 AM

My '70 Cutlass has belts like pic three w/ GM logo as well as '68 standard...my '68 442s have stainless buckles like pic two...my '69 Vista has buckles like pic four w/ deluxe belts w/ release locks on the retractor... the deluxe belts seem to have the small hole and the standard belts the big slot (good to use as a bottle opener )
Old February 2nd, 2010, 03:20 AM
Registered

The belts should have date code tags so it shouldn't be too hard to figure out?
The Deluxe buckles have the raised silver and black GM logo like pic #4 in '71. The button opening was the same too, square, the carriage type you show are different.
The #4 smaller buckle type is for the front outer lap belts with shoulder harnesses in my '71.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 04:37 AM

Just to add to the confusion these are the belts in my '72 Supreme.

They are the same size buckle(small) as your pic #4, but with black textured metal cover vs. brushed stainless cover. They are date coded 7E-72 with RCF-67 stamped on the back. Notice too, that on this style the buckle(female) end length is fixed and the male end is length adjustable. Where on the other styles the buckle(female) end is adjustable the the male end is fixed. I've been looking for replacements for my car and have had no luck yet. I have found the small stainless ones in several 70's -80's GM cars and may go with those when I find some with black webbing... the search continues.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Coltonis
Another deluxe possibility.

This was the optional "deluxe belts" used in 1972, not sure about other years. I only know because I have them. RPO A39
The webbing was color keyed to the interior.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 05:23 AM
Past Administrator

This may be as good a place as any for me to chime in. As we all know, there were no seatbelts to my knowledge being used in 1946 and I should get some for my fastback. Trying to get some in the forties theme I was thinking about those "airplane" type. I have thought about this for quite a while and will be watching this thread for any other contributions. Not trying to hijack your thread, just going to watch.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 11:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
This may be as good a place as any for me to chime in. As we all know, there were no seatbelts to my knowledge being used in 1946 and I should get some for my fastback. Trying to get some in the forties theme I was thinking about those "airplane" type. I have thought about this for quite a while and will be watching this thread for any other contributions. Not trying to hijack your thread, just going to watch.
The "airplane" type were what GM had as a dealer accessory back in the 50's I think. My brother got a bunch of stuff from an old parts store a long time ago and had several sets, if I had that stuff now....
They were in green and tan or white boxes with little Chebby symbols all over them and a cellophane window. Had really nice chrome or brushed stainless buckles and I think a chebby bowtie or Fisher Body carriage emblem on them, all different colors. Those airplane type would be retro, wider webbing and buckles would be more in the style of a Constellation. It seems like newer stuff is all too skinny, including the women, at least steering wheels got fat again.
My grandfather put the real airplane belts in his '62 T-Bird in '62, they worked great and you never have to adjust them.

I think you'll need five point racing harnesses when your car is done though Citcapp?

Now I want to put the optional rear shoulder belts in the Vista Cruiser.
They do keep you from hitting the seat back and my kids may be riding back there.
Those seats cost too much to have them messed up in a hard stop by somebody's face bashing into them or stained by any icky stuff as the result.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 11:40 AM
Cutlass Lover

You are such a shi*!!!!! (but I agree with you!)
Old February 2nd, 2010, 02:03 PM

My 70 442 has the deluxe seat beats and the optional shoulder harnesses.

The lap belts have the small brushed buckle, and the shoulder harness has the big brushed buckle.

The rear seat has 3 sets of seat belts with big brushed buckles.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 02:26 PM
GM Enthusiast

My 71 Supreme and the 69 Cutlass S I had both are the same and referenced in your picture #1.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 04:14 PM

looks like you have a 70 Cutlass with black interior so your car could have originally came with black buckles or the satin chrome deluxe buckles. I have seen many cars with the wide female satin Chrome buckles and the small female satin buckles I think it all depended on where the car was built or even when.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 05:15 PM

I have a 70 442 with the optional shoulder belts as well. My interior is gold and both the floor buckles and the shoulder buckles are gold. Also if I remember correctly the 70 lap belt comes up half way and you adjust it with the inside belt. I think 71/72 comes all the way across to the inside latch so the buckle is not in the middle any more.
So if you need both sides then you will need 70 belts for originality, or 71/72 belts just so you have some.
I can get some pics of them if you'd like. Just let me know.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 06:09 PM

Pic #1 lwith GM logo ooks like the standard belts in my 70 Cutlass SX Conv, which I have also seen in junkyards in Buick Skylarks. Pic 4 looks like the deluxe belt option for 70-72 (as another poster said). Pic 3 with the GM logo looks like the belts in my 70 Chevelle SS and same as I have seen in a ton of Chevelles in junkyards, so maybe it was Chevy only? Pic 2 with the brushed stainless and Carriage looks like Cadillac or maybe high end Olds used them also?.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 06:36 PM

Pic 4 is also the deluxe belt for the 69's. On my H/O, the lap belt uses the smaller buckle and the shoulder harness the larger, IIRC.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 07:16 PM

This ones from a 1965 and I really like the looks of it. I've got some other years/designs and will try to take some pictures next weekend.

P1010273.jpg
Old February 2nd, 2010, 08:04 PM

Good stuff, so its sounding like the GM logos are common in Olds too. Is there any ryhme or reason to what the fisher logo was used on?

I have heard mention about the date codes before, but alot of times people selling them dont list them. Can't hurt to know what I'm looking at.

I was seriously considering the airplane style too for a while, but then I would have to constantly yell at people to "stop clacking my buckles!" lol
Old February 10th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Navy P-3 FE (Ret.)

One of my 67's has the style in pic #1 which I believe is standard and my other 67 has the style in pic #2 (Fisher logo) which I believe is deluxe, for 67 anyway.
Old February 10th, 2010, 10:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Coltonis
Good stuff, so its sounding like the GM logos are common in Olds too. Is there any ryhme or reason to what the fisher logo was used on?
I read that in that in '67 there were two types according to a footnote in the parts catalog. The first type had the Fisher carriage and the second type the GM mark of excellence logo.
Is that when they switched over?

Hey John, I like that '65 belt buckle, it would make a cool belt buckle.
The type to hold your pants up.
Suspenders made with seat belts would even be cooler, or would you call them shoulder harnesses??
Old February 11th, 2010, 04:48 AM

I've asked this question before but this might be a good place to ask it again. I have a set of black cups [for lack of a better description] that go on the lower part of a back seat to hold the female end of a seat belt. They kind snap/sit in these things] Does anybody know which cars these came in. They look cool but I don't want to install them in the wrong car.
Old February 11th, 2010, 05:42 AM

Jamesbo, could you post a picture? I know the 1971 had a plastic male piece that attached to the front/bottom of the lower back seat for the female seat belt to fit over and hold it in place. This sounds like it may be an older version of this idea.

Bluevista... suspenders for the car guy!!! Sounds like a winner idea to me.
Either that or the belt buckle might be a nice way to use a stray seat belt clasp!
Old February 11th, 2010, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Jamesbo, could you post a picture? I know the 1971 had a plastic male piece that attached to the front/bottom of the lower back seat for the female seat belt to fit over and hold it in place. This sounds like it may be an older version of this idea.

Bluevista... suspenders for the car guy!!! Sounds like a winner idea to me.
Either that or the belt buckle might be a nice way to use a stray seat belt clasp!
I can get to it until this weekend but I will be glad to. Sound like what you're talking about.
Old February 11th, 2010, 12:10 PM

Does anyone know where to find the belts in pic #2 with the carriage? Those match my front starfire belts and mine didnt come with rears.
Old February 11th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Navy P-3 FE (Ret.)

The Carriage or Stagecoach buckles are available at The Parts Place for Cutlass's. May work for the Starfire. Can't verify quality.

http://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/ocat...D=1&curpage=10
Old February 12th, 2010, 10:49 AM

Here ya go 2blue442

Is this for a 71 only?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN2399.jpg (63.0 KB, 60 views)
DSCN2400.jpg (50.0 KB, 61 views)
Old February 12th, 2010, 02:41 PM

those are for many years, I will go down to the closet and see what year is listed on the box. I have them in my 70 convertible and they are a necessity for the front occupant shoulder-belts - those were a relatively rare ioption in convertibles and if you did not have those mounted near the courtesy light on each side of the rear seat they would fly out of the car if you weren't wearing the shoulder-belts
Old February 12th, 2010, 02:49 PM

the document I have is dated 10/7/69 as shown. These are nice things to have as they are great to park the buckles either when no one is in the car or when at a car show - really keeps the back seat neat and clean. They can also be used for front bench seats
Attached Images
buckle retainer unit.jpg (48.6 KB, 82 views)

Last edited by stevengerard; February 12th, 2010 at 02:52 PM.
Old February 12th, 2010, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by stevengerard
the document I have is dated 10/7/69 as shown. These are nice things to have as they are great to park the buckles either when no one is in the car or when at a car show - really keeps the back seat neat and clean. They can also be used for front bench seats

Thanks,

But for what years?

I think they look great [and neaten up the rear seat] But I don't want to put them in a 69 H/O if it isn't "correct" [I wish it is/were]
Old February 12th, 2010, 03:29 PM

they show them in one of my 1970 manuals (not the assembly manual but the other manual) so I know they are for at least as early as 70- do you have the manual for 69? It would be in the seat section. Here is how I would look at it but I have never judged a show - these are obviously dealer installed items or purchased over the counter by the car owner so any 1969 that was sitting on the lot in late 69 could be had with these. I have an under the seat litter container that has a dated installation sheet of late 1970, most likely it was released for the 1971 model year, I look at it he same way, if I bought the car in late 70 or went back to the dealer and saw the part and it worked on my car then why wouldn't I buy it if I liked it. Sorry I can not give you a definitive answer for 1969 but maybe someone who owns the 69 manuals can look it up

PS when I have seen them auctioned off on ebay they are usually stated as being 70 - 72 and have seen them sell upwards of 100.00 for a full set.

Last edited by stevengerard; February 12th, 2010 at 03:35 PM.
Old February 12th, 2010, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by stevengerard
they show them in one of my 1970 manuals (not the assembly manual but the other manual) so I know they are for at least as early as 70- do you have the manual for 69? It would be in the seat section. Here is how I would look at it but I have never judged a show - these are obviously dealer installed items or purchased over the counter by the car owner so any 1969 that was sitting on the lot in late 69 could be had with these. I have an under the seat litter container that has a dated installation sheet of late 1970, most likely it was released for the 1971 model year, I look at it he same way, if I bought the car in late 70 or went back to the dealer and saw the part and it worked on my car then why wouldn't I buy it if I liked it. Sorry I can not give you a definitive answer for 1969 but maybe someone who owns the 69 manuals can look it up

PS when I have seen them auctioned off on ebay they are usually stated as being 70 - 72 and have seen them sell upwards of 100.00 for a full set.
Thanks,

I didn't know they were "Dealer Installed'

My ole buddy Wmachine keeps unbelievable records of this kinda of stuff, Let's wait and see if he chimes in.
Old February 13th, 2010, 03:34 AM

The '69 Fisher Body manual shows buckle retainers on page 15-82 but no other info
Old February 13th, 2010, 04:51 AM
Registered

If the '69 Fisher manual has them go for it.
I have an old set that came with my car, have to paint them blue and take the seat cushion out and screw them on.
Yours have to be white with a gold stripe Jamesbo.
Check with Joe P. for correct stripe placement.

They use the single type on the C pillars and rear side cargo area covers for the optional Vista Cruiser rear seat shoulder harnesses.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 10:47 AM

Hey my 71 Cutlass has the same belts as #1. It says supreme on the dashboard, bu I was told that it wasnt actually a supreme. Is it possible I actually do have a supreme? Or maybe the seat belts were switched out too?
Old March 22nd, 2010, 09:23 PM

Hi, SVNT 442, I saw your post about the seat belts, I am looking for the big buckles for the shoulder belts, and also would like to know where they actually mount in the car!! If you could send me some pics that would be great!! I have a 1971 Cutlass S
Thanks, 71 S

Last edited by 71"S"; March 22nd, 2010 at 09:35 PM. Reason: need to add person to whom I am referring to!!
Old March 23rd, 2010, 11:52 AM

I stumbled across an NOS seatbelt meant for a 68 caddy in a dealerships old warehouse/prep building that was set for demolition. I just thought that I'd check the top shelves in the parts room and found a front belt with retractor and buckle, unfourtunately caddy used a special button with their own logo. So i cant use the buckle, however the retractor half of the belt is identical to olds. In the box is this paper describing the 2 buckle designs GM used in 68. So these 2 designs were for sure used in 68. The standard type belt shown in the picture is the same kind that came in my 67 cutlass. So they may be for both years. They appear to be original to the car. If anything this can prove what is correct for a 68. This is not a caddy only paper, its for all GM. Hopefully someone can use this info in these pictures
Attached Images
Seat belt chart 1.jpg (40.6 KB, 50 views)
standard seat belt.jpg (46.1 KB, 35 views)
delux seat belt.jpg (63.5 KB, 35 views)
Old March 23rd, 2010, 01:06 PM

The belts I have for sale are the alum color buckles( not stainless steel because they rust.
They were in a 71 supreme but date coded 70.
you cant go by the date year because they used previous year if style was not changed on the belts. My 72 convert also has alum color and they are dated 71 , I bought this car from orig owner so there you go.
Old April 4th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by 2blu442
This ones from a 1965 and I really like the looks of it.
That's a '66 and earlier deluxe buckle. I'm posting a standard and deluxe buckle for '66 and earlier. I know at least '65 earlier, but I just don't know how far before that.

Originally Posted by Bluevista
I read that in that in '67 there were two types according to a footnote in the parts catalog. The first type had the Fisher carriage and the second type the GM mark of excellence logo.
Is that when they switched over?
The two types for '67 are standard and deluxe! *Both* were new for '67

Originally Posted by Bluevista
Hey John, I like that '65 belt buckle, it would make a cool belt buckle.
The type to hold your pants up.
Already done.
http://yque.com/seatbelbucbe.html
Attached Images
04.04.10 011.jpg (39.3 KB, 33 views)
04.04.10 023.jpg (54.2 KB, 38 views)