Convertible Top

Search this Thread

Old June 25th, 2019, 04:37 PM
Gary

Convertible Top

Gentlemen

I have been in the process of having my convertible top replaced on my 68 442. I ordered a top from Tops on Line and the brand is E zy On. Well the car is at the installation shop and my installation man who happens to be very good tries to install the top and it wont fit, The top dimensions are plain old shorter. Contact Tops on Line and they have the manufacture's field technician contact my guy. We send them pictures of the difference in my old top and the new one. Their tech and my installation guy come to an agreement that the top might have been mis labeled and they send out another one. Same dimensions as the first one sent. Now my installation guy begins to think maybe who owned the car before I got it might have switched the top frame and I tell him that I dont believe another model frame would fit in the compartment and I show him pictures of what the top looked like it when I got it.

So the installer decides that he is going to get someone else who installs tops give him so advise so they both decided to put their heads together and install the top and it wont fit. I had already told them is the measurement were the same as the first one then surely the top was not going to work. But I guess they thought they knew more than me. That top does not fit either.

My question is what brand of top some of you have used? The top that came off the car was an Electron which is in New York. Has anyone had a problem with a top not fitting? I am getting back with the distributor who sold me the top on tomorrow and I may ask them to replace the top with another brand, maybe Robbins.

This is what the top looked like when I got the car.

Old June 25th, 2019, 07:55 PM

Robbins and Kee are two well known top manufacturers. I put a Robbins top in my car back in 1990 and it fit perfectly.
Old June 25th, 2019, 08:35 PM
Randy C.

I had an shop install a Kee top on my '68. There were certain brands he absolutely refused to use but Kee was one of his favorites.

Randy C.
Old June 25th, 2019, 09:17 PM
Gary

Originally Posted by rcorrigan5
I had an shop install a Kee top on my '68. There were certain brands he absolutely refused to use but Kee was one of his favorites.

Randy C.
I believe I got one of those brands. That darn thing does not fit.
Old June 25th, 2019, 09:46 PM

I have my 70 Cutlass top installed a couple years ago and its made from Electron. Fits like a glove.

Old June 26th, 2019, 11:50 AM
Gary

Originally Posted by ELY442
I have my 70 Cutlass top installed a couple years ago and its made from Electron. Fits like a glove.

It looks really good.
Old June 26th, 2019, 11:58 AM
Randy C.

This is the Kee top that was installed on my '68. It was purchased and installed in 2007. Randy C.
Old June 26th, 2019, 01:29 PM
Gary

Originally Posted by rcorrigan5

This is the Kee top that was installed on my '68. It was purchased and installed in 2007. Randy C.
Randy your car looks great! Kinda wishing now I would have kept mine white. A Black car shows everything.
Old June 26th, 2019, 01:43 PM
Gary

FYI

I just got off the phone with the representative with Ez On and what I found out with them is they are acknowledging they are sending out the wrong top for Olds 68-72. They are sending out tops for Chevelle 68-72. They have had this issue before and there fore the correct top uses longer sails. The representative from EZ On is saying they have to change their parts number for the Olds only. Their mistake and they are giving my installation man an installers credit for their mistake. I had no idea that a top for Olds body would be different than a Chevelle but apparently it is to them but i doubt that very seriously. I truly believe they have the wrong pattern and the problem is not what they are saying. So they are in the process of making a top for me and says it should take a few more days. Just want to pass the information on to others just in case you use Ez On. Well at least they are trying to resolve the issue for me.

Last edited by Gary's 2 442-S; June 27th, 2019 at 07:59 AM.
Old June 26th, 2019, 02:47 PM
Randy C.

It's great news that Ez On is going to follow through for you. Tracking something down like what you experienced is surely a pain but you got to the bottom of it - wonderful news so far.

My parents bought my '68 as a one-year old "new" demo (new because my parents were the first private owners of the car). I still have the original window sticker for it. When we restored it (2004-2007), we wanted to keep it as original as possible but there were some option items that we changed - converted idiot lights to factory gauges and tach, installed a "speed sentinal" speedometer, changed out the AM radio for a factory AM-FM (non-stereo) with rear speaker), and changed the white stripe tires with wire wheel covers to red stripe tires with SSI wheels. It won Best of Class at the 2011 OCA Nationals in Reno. I don't drive it much because I put too much time and money into it to make it as perfect (in my mind!) as possible.

I also have a '69 4-4-2 convertible (same color combination) that didn't take nearly the effort of the '68 because I wasn't so particular. I do like driving the '69 a lot more than the '68.

Continued best of luck on your convertible top!

Randy C.
Old June 26th, 2019, 04:19 PM

Wow, I have always read that 68-72 GM A-Bodies all used the same top. I haven't seen any different part numbers for frames, top material, or rear curtain. I wonder why there would be a difference?
Old June 26th, 2019, 06:12 PM
Gary

Originally Posted by Fun71
Wow, I have always read that 68-72 GM A-Bodies all used the same top. I haven't seen any different part numbers for frames, top material, or rear curtain. I wonder why there would be a difference?
I believe he was full of it. I think they are just using the wrong pattern. I cant see GM using different top frames.
Old June 26th, 2019, 07:09 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

To my knowledge 68-72 GM A bodied verts use the same frame lid and hardware. Just peruse the restoration catalogs for proof.
I use a really good(expensive) interior and top guy here. I let him order what he wants and let him go at it. He did my 71 Eldorado, 68 vette, 68 Olds and brother in laws 68 Camaro and all came out really nice---$1000-1500 later. Cheap IMO. The Vette goes in next for an interior. Bottom line let the shop purchase what they are familiar with.
Old June 28th, 2019, 02:41 PM

When I had my top installed, the top shop did the ordering. I would think that is de rigueur in the trade. Let them order and make it fit.