Carpet Install for 4 speed, non-console

Old March 20th, 2019, 05:57 AM

Carpet Install for 4 speed, non-console

On a 4 speed, non-console car, does anyone know if the carpet is sandwiched between the rubber boot and retaining ring or do you install the boot, retaining ring and then carpet? There was any carpet in the car when I bought it and all my other cars have been console cars.
Old March 20th, 2019, 10:59 AM

What year? 70-72 cars do not use a retaining ring - the boot is attached directly to the hump flange around the shifter opening with 8 short sheet metal bolts. (the bolts are hidden by the lower "bellows" part of the boot) The carpet goes underneath the boot.
Old March 20th, 2019, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by costpenn
what year? 70-72 cars do not use a retaining ring - the boot is attached directly to the hump flange around the shifter opening with 8 short sheet metal bolts. (the bolts are hidden by the lower "bellows" part of the boot) the carpet goes underneath the boot.

Old March 20th, 2019, 12:37 PM

I do not put the carpet under the retaining ring on the boot. The shifter boot has the extra rubber to lay on the floor over the carpet. So you cut the carpet so it just touches the retaining ring. This way the boot sits down low and its plenty hard enough to put the screws in alone I cant imagine trying to send them thru a carpet as well.
Old March 20th, 2019, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
I do not put the carpet under the retaining ring on the boot. The shifter boot has the extra rubber to lay on the floor over the carpet. So you cut the carpet so it just touches the retaining ring. This way the boot sits down low and its plenty hard enough to put the screws in alone I cant imagine trying to send them thru a carpet as well.

Thank you, so much, I wasn't sure how they did from the factory. I tried to install with the carpet between the boot and retaining ring and it was a nightmare, carpet onto of the trim ring will 10 times easier.