Carpet problems from ACC for 68 442 4 speed non-console

Search this Thread

Old March 4th, 2019, 04:06 PM

Carpet problems from ACC for 68 442 4 speed non-console

Having problems with a carpet kit I order, has two embossed areas in the center of the transmission tunnel in the area that the shifter is at. Any one else run into this? Chevy thing or for the 70-72 cars?

Last edited by Kevin W; March 4th, 2019 at 04:11 PM.
Old March 4th, 2019, 07:00 PM

You should have ordered carpet for a column shift car. ACC puts the wrong "hump" in there for our cars...like you said, probably for a Chevy.

How is the rest of the front tunnel area?? ACC floor shift carpet is also known to be WAY oversized in that area (to the point of needing to slit and remove part of the carpet) but maybe they at least took care of that problem.
Old March 5th, 2019, 03:52 AM

The 68 has a totally different shifter hump than a 70-72 so I don't see how they could be the same.... you should call them and tell them whats going on...
Old March 5th, 2019, 08:26 AM
Ben

Yeah, that doesn't look right. I'm with Patton, I'd order an automatic carpet set w/o no humps and make it work vs that thing. Ugh.
Does anyone know if Trim parts (or whoever bought them) still makes carpet sets? I had several really good experiences with the fit of theirs.

FYI- if the earlier carpet sets are known to be better (been a while since i used one so I'm not sure if they are better or not) the 64-67 will fit the 68-72 cars floor pan contours, its just longer and needs to be trimmed in the area underneath the seats.

I have a 66 carpet set in my 68 (got it for a steal and figured I'd roll the dice). I know the heel pad is different, but Just throwing that out there.
Old March 5th, 2019, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
The 68 has a totally different shifter hump than a 70-72 so I don't see how they could be the same.... you should call them and tell them whats going on...
It doesn't matter - ACC does NOT have a mold that puts the shifter hump in a correct position for ANY of our Oldsmobiles. That's why I suggest not even mentioning anything about manual floor shift. When you do it just opens up a whole other can of worms with the carpet (ie -incorrect hump, potentially massively oversized tunnel area, etc).

You can call them and talk to them all you want......good luck. I DID call one time and spent a lot of time on the phone explaining the problem. It was like talking to a wall.

But - what do you expect for $150 or so? New carpet is a relative bargain.

Ben - I don't know if Trim Parts still makes carpet sets. I also spent a lot of time on the phone with them as well when a buddy ordered their carpet and had a problem with the front half. They would not remedy the situation so I called them and explained the problem and had the guy send more pics. They eventually made it right. This was on a '70 442 auto floor shift and their tunnel was also oversized (in addition to the problem we had which was in the P side footwell area).

Last edited by 70Post; March 5th, 2019 at 09:44 AM.
Old March 5th, 2019, 10:08 AM

I did call them and talked to them, their response was they have made hundreds of these for 68 442 non-console cars and know one has had any issues with them and the cause was because I didn't have a factory 4 speed car. Then they told me to contact the person I order the carpet from, they basically told him the same. I did create a power point and outlined the problem with their carpet set, I doubt anything will change but at this point, just for sport. In general, not too impressed with the carpet, the tunnel area is oversized. I've installed carpets in the past, I believe they were ACC as well, they all were oversized in the tunnel as well.

I order this carpet from this guy in Co, he sold me wiring harness in the past for a great price, so he didn't know about this problem, I'm sure Fusick and Partsplace know about the issue and just order the standard automatic carpet. He has offered to take care of this.

So has anyone had any luck with other carpet kits recently?
Old March 5th, 2019, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin W
I did call them and talked to them, their response was they have made hundreds of these for 68 442 non-console cars and know one has had any issues with them and the cause was because I didn't have a factory 4 speed car.
Wow this seems like the same BS I was told from OPGI when their seat covers did not fit. Since I did not buy my 67 new I could not be sure the seats were not swapped, never had this problem before they said...
Old March 5th, 2019, 10:23 AM

Kevin - LOL - that is the "standard script" that must have been passed around to all the repro vendors for use when someone complains about fit, quality, etc. They ALL SAY - "that's the first time we've heard of that problem, nobody else has ever complained", etc, etc. I think it's part of the training program they give the folks that answer the phones.

Trim Parts carpet (see above...we don't know if they still offer carpet kits) has/had the same problems....too large over the trans tunnel area most of the time....and the "too large tunnel area" problem is NOT limited to "manual floor shift" carpet sets. I don't think there are any other carpet kit makers.

I wouldn't assume that Fusick and Parts Place "know" about the problem and recommend or only sell column shift auto carpet. You need to SPECIFY it......otherwise you're just rolling the dice again.

Last edited by 70Post; March 5th, 2019 at 10:27 AM.
Old March 5th, 2019, 02:48 PM

Well, they are going to take the carpet back, UPS will pick up tomorrow, win for me, I guess my power point worked. They are going to send the automatic trans carpet. I'm sure it will suck but not as much as the one they sent LoL.
Old March 5th, 2019, 03:14 PM

Just so everyone knows, Trim Parts was selling carpet, I bought a set it was pretty nice. But they sold the carpet business to, you guessed it, Auto Custom Carpets. So ACC is the only choice I know of.
Old March 5th, 2019, 03:16 PM

I use ACC carpet on our 442 in the 1900's. Fit well.
Old March 5th, 2019, 04:56 PM
Gary

My experience was similar.

ACC carpet for my Vista Cruiser had a lot of extra material over both back seat and front seat humps. The weave direction was 90 degrees off from factory. I considered their carpet to be 3 stars out of 5. The only aspect they got 100% right was the color.

I tried to remedy the fit by taking a cut out of the front carpet below the console, but the contours at the sides of the hump were still wrong. I tried padding under the rear hump but it didn't look right.

During restoration, I had the upholsterer sew a carpet set for me from the same yardgoods I bought for the storage floor. He made the third-seat carpet--that one's not available in the aftermarket. And he made front and rear carpet mats with serged edges. His little details made it look and fit better than the factory carpet.
Old March 5th, 2019, 05:05 PM

I just installed an ACC set and was not at all impressed
Old March 6th, 2019, 09:48 AM
Ben

I would be willing to wager that the 64-67 carpet set will fit over the trans tunnel better/tighter in a 68-72 car than the 68-72 carpet sets do.. then all you have to do is trim the rear piece where the two pieces overlap under the seat.

I suspect ACC has been using the wrong mold, or a copy of a copy of a mold for years causing these issues... Its not anything new and has been reported on a-body sites for the last 20 years, dispite their company line of "this is the first time its been reported"

...However the earlier cars don't seem to get nearly the complaints that the later ones do. I know I've had good luck with the fit of the earlier sets in both the earlier cars and in my 68 using the early carpet set.

Also, if the incorrect heel pad would bother you, ACC allows you to special order the carpet and you can specify which heel pad (or no heel pad) you want.

Food for thought.

Last edited by RAMBOW; March 6th, 2019 at 09:52 AM.
Old March 6th, 2019, 09:56 AM
Ben

Incidentally, about 20 years ago is when the founder and president of ACC (and some other company execs) died in a plane crash, and the company ownership and management changed.
They were poised to go into production of reproduction seat covers, door panels and other products at the time and all that stopped, seemingly quality took a noticeable drop.
Old March 7th, 2019, 04:48 AM
Rodney

Originally Posted by RAMBOW
I would be willing to wager that the 64-67 carpet set will fit over the trans tunnel better/tighter in a 68-72 car than the 68-72 carpet sets do.. then all you have to do is trim the rear piece where the two pieces overlap under the seat.

Also, if the incorrect heel pad would bother you, ACC allows you to special order the carpet and you can specify which heel pad (or no heel pad) you want.
Ben:
Can anybody confirm the 64-67 carpet sets are a better fit for 68-72 cars? I have a 72 console, automatic car. Thanks.

Rodney
Old March 10th, 2019, 08:38 AM

Does anyone make a nice fitting "A" body carpet for a 4 spd application? I've used seat covers from Legendary Interiors and they were much better than the ACC stuff, not sure if they offer carpets for GM "A" bodies.
Old March 10th, 2019, 12:21 PM

Legendary DOES NOT make carpet.....they sell ACC's carpet (the only repro manufacturer, apparently, of our Abody carpet sets).

If you are ordering carpet just do what I suggested above....order carpet for an automatic column shift car. Or you can take a chance and do what Rambow suggested above and order a 64-67 carpet set. I say "take a chance" b/c so far, in this thread, nobody has popped up saying they've actually tried putting the '64-7 carpet in a 68-72 car. DO NOT specify manual floor shift or you'll have problems. Even with that, expect the overall front tunnel area to be a bit too large (if you order a '68-72 set....again, we don't know on a 64-67)....not a big problem if you're using a console as you can modify the carpet to make it fit better.

Last edited by 70Post; March 10th, 2019 at 12:25 PM.