Bench Seat Torn Down - Question on Springs(?)

Search this Thread

Old March 1st, 2019, 11:00 AM

Bench Seat Torn Down - Question on Springs(?)

Hello,

Tearing down a split bench seat from a '70 Cutlass, and have some questions. Thanks in advance for any help.

1. There are two springs (circled in orange)on the outboard sides that are not anchored at the rear of the seat. Where/how do these get anchored?
2. There is a clip missing on the rear outboard drivers side of the seat. The passenger side has the clip, but not actually securing the spring. Does the spring need to be held by the clip (aka should I hold the spring in place and tap the clip down around it), or is this not important?
3. The drivers side creaks loudly and sags noticeably more than the passenger side, before and after foam removal. Is this simply springs that need to be replaced, or are there other things I need to examine?

Thanks.

Loose springs in orange - where do they get anchored? Clips in green

Loose springs in orange, clips in green

Loose springs in orange, clips in green

Question 3: Drivers Side Creaking and Sagging
Old March 1st, 2019, 11:14 AM
Ben

Hello-
On your drivers side, there should be a matching metal tab (like appears on your passenger side) that tab captures both those loose springs AND the edgewire.
The Pass side tab appears to have been pried open- they are normally closed tight capturing the springs. Put the spring in first, then the edgewire on top, then use a hammer to close it up tight. Hopefully the passenger side one won't break off.

Its not uncommon for those tabs to be broken if they have been opened up in the past-
You will want to improvise a new solution for the missing drivers side one to hold the spring & edgewire in place. A new piece of steel bolted to the frame in that same position would likley be the fix that I would do. There are access holes in the rear of the frame, you should be able to reach inside, otherwise just tap the hole you drill for the bolt thread.

Regarding the squeeking and drivers side softness- all of this is likely related to the the spring & edgewire floating free. That edgewire needs to be captured by the frame to hold it securely or when you sit on the seat it just pulls forward as the springs compress.
Of course with this design seat with all these springs there is just some metal on metal squeeking inherent to the design- but anything obviously loose will greatly increase that.

When I redo bench seats, even if the side springs are not broken I like the reinforce them by adding another new spring over the top of it, and I also do the same thing for the front corner springs, i'll add a new lenght of spring to the existing clamping it in place. this adds support to the outside edge so you don't get that "sliding off the seat" feeling.

Hope this helps.
If you need any lengths of replacement spring let me know.

Last edited by RAMBOW; March 1st, 2019 at 11:16 AM.
Old March 1st, 2019, 12:04 PM

Awesome response (and quick too!).
Old March 1st, 2019, 02:51 PM
Ben

I'm going to be making up a set of bench reinforcing pieces like I mentioned above for another member shortly (See Al, I haven't forgotten!)...
Ping me if you are interested, I could make up a set for you as well.