HVAC control mounting repair

Search this Thread

Old February 3rd, 2019, 02:13 PM

HVAC control mounting repair

Two questions:

1. The plastic posts that the HVAC controller attaches two are all three broken. I have at least two (and a half) of the three posts - one split down the middle and I"m not sure I have both pieces. Anyway, I'm after suggestions on what to use to repair this so my HVAC controller will hold when mounted. I did a bit of searching in the forum and Q-Bond sounds like a potential fix. Is that the way to go. Anything else to do instead of that, or after using it?

2 How do I remove the wire/connection in the middle of the HVAC controller (arrow points to it)? I think it might be the backlight? It's the gray wire in the middle towards the right. does it just pull straight out the back?

HVAC Control, back
Old February 3rd, 2019, 02:42 PM
Old(s) Fart

The entire socket for that bulb pulls out of the control head. Don't just pull on the wire.
Old February 3rd, 2019, 04:30 PM

My suggestion would be to epoxy small screws with their heads removed in the stands then use nuts to attach the control panel to the dash. Since the plastic is brittle if you build the up the stand using epoxy or other filler material then screw a self tapping screw into it it's likely the plastic will break/split again.
Old February 4th, 2019, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by danktx
My suggestion would be to epoxy small screws with their heads removed in the stands then use nuts to attach the control panel to the dash. Since the plastic is brittle if you build the up the stand using epoxy or other filler material then screw a self tapping screw into it it's likely the plastic will break/split again.
Thanks! That's what I like about these forums. A different way of thinking about the problem that what I had. One thing I was thinking about doing was reinforcing around the posts with some epoxy I have. But I like the idea you have of mounting bolts and using nuts to secure the controller. The cables put stress on the mounts so important to make sure they stay together as the levers are moved around in the future. I think it would probably make it easier to install as well.

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The entire socket for that bulb pulls out of the control head. Don't just pull on the wire.
Thanks! Now that I think about it, it looks similar to the one on the top of the radio. I'm still getting used to this era of vehicle wiring.