Seat foam

Search this Thread

Old November 10th, 2018, 01:31 AM

Seat foam

Can anyone recommend a seat foam for 69 buckets that is most comfortable? Going with PUI seat covers. Thank you
Old November 10th, 2018, 07:21 AM

American Cushion Industries (ACI) is the best foam you can use. I found the lowest price on eBay. Also recommend Legendary covers if you haven't purchased the PUI yet. Watch for a sale at Legendary, they have them fiarly often.
Old November 10th, 2018, 08:02 AM

Foam

^^^^x2
What Randy said,, I signed up to be on their mailing list at a car show and I now receive postcards every time a sales is upcoming. Recommend check their website or call their customer service

Brett
Old November 10th, 2018, 09:24 AM
Gary

Originally Posted by RandyS
American Cushion Industries (ACI) is the best foam you can use.
Amen to that. I found out the hard way (pun intended).
Old November 12th, 2018, 08:19 AM
Ben

Originally Posted by VC455
Amen to that. I found out the hard way (pun intended).
LOL!!!! I'm going to steal that quote!!!! SPOT ON!
Old November 22nd, 2018, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Platinum69
Can anyone recommend a seat foam for 69 buckets that is most comfortable? Going with PUI seat covers. Thank you
I ordered the mustard gold PUI seat covers front and rear and the foam was ordered from the Parts Place...part number was IN3075T (FRONT BUCKETS ONLY)

Fitment was excellent....I ordered them in 2012 and just installed them last month.

Old November 25th, 2018, 05:39 AM

66-70 PUI seat foam

I just tried to install PUI seat foams on my 1970 442 bucket seats. The seat bottoms fit well, but NOT the seat backs. The seat back foams seemed to be molded for a seat about 2" wider. I tried to pull them around the sides but the fabric separated and the sides looked lumpy from the hog rings tugging on the foam. The foams had 66-70 molded into them, and the seats had a build sheet in them so there is no mistake on the year. Also the new foams had grooves molded in them for the bolsters while the originals did not. Can someone post a picture of another brand?
Old November 26th, 2018, 02:52 PM
Ben

Originally Posted by yorkman
I just tried to install PUI seat foams on my 1970 442 bucket seats. The seat bottoms fit well, but NOT the seat backs. The seat back foams seemed to be molded for a seat about 2" wider. I tried to pull them around the sides but the fabric separated and the sides looked lumpy from the hog rings tugging on the foam. The foams had 66-70 molded into them, and the seats had a build sheet in them so there is no mistake on the year. Also the new foams had grooves molded in them for the bolsters while the originals did not. Can someone post a picture of another brand?
Did you notice all the posts above that reference AMERICAN CUSHION INDUSTRIES being the buns you want?

The problems you are running into with the PUI buns are some of the reason for those recommendations. The PUI buns can be made to work, but if its your first rodeo, then they can be very frustrating to work with. Hell I've done hundreds of these seats and I STILL make the mistake of NOT refusing to work with these on occasion... I always quickly remember.

There are multiple STYLES of GM "strato-bucket" seat buns- some with listing channels molded in, and ones without listing channels molded in.
It sounds like you need the ones WITHOUT the channels, or at least that is what was in your seat before.

If you want to make those work... Glue your muslin cloth on the OUTSIDE of the foam, not on the inside, Center the frames in the bun, then wrap & hogring the top first, then the bottom (again glue the muslin on the outside , and yes it will be extremely hard to fold it over the bottom... (because the PUI buns SUCK!) you may need to double up the material on the bottom where you hogring it on or it will immediately rip out due to the pressure of the foam folding over the bottom edgewire.
THEN do the sides folding them over and hogringing them in place. Honestly, the sides really don't even need to be secured, only the top and bottom are necessary, because the cover itself will pull the sides in where they need to be.

if you have a seat cover that does not need the listing channels in the buns, you will want to fill them with cotton batting or polyester batting so that they cannot be felt through the new covers once installed.

Old November 28th, 2018, 01:23 PM

Ben, thank you for the reply to my post. I guess I am like many guys that do the research after they do the work. I've replaced several sets of covers but not the foam. I chose the PUI's because my covers were PUI's that I installed in the late 1980's and are still in good condition. They were exact duplicates of my original materials, except for the buttons (70 442 Conv). I transferred the original buttons to the replacement covers for an exact match. I wanted to replace the foam because I was getting "snow" under the seats, so I thought the foams were crumbling. it turned out that the foams were not that bad, it was the edges of the foam used to make the covers that dried out and "snowed" out of the seat backs. Another surprise was to find an old mouse nest inside the back of the seat between the frame and the springs! The area was accessible from the hinge opening. Thanks again, Bob Yauch