bucket seats

Search this Thread

Old September 21st, 2018, 12:57 PM

bucket seats

Can you use the 442 bench seat interior to cover 2 bucket seats

I would like to use the original material to cover 2 bucket seats on a bench to bucket conversion

if so is there a problem lining up the buttons

thanks
Old September 21st, 2018, 03:57 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Why wouldn't you just get the right seat interior material to start with? What year is your car? There are plenty of vendors that offer correct seat recovering kits and you won't have to worry about cutting and sewing. One of the better companies is Legendary Auto Interiors. Example:

Old September 22nd, 2018, 03:46 AM

Back in '80-'81 I made the bucket seat covers from scratch for my 1st '68 442 by using rear seat upholstery out of a junkyard & a few yards of plain madrid grain black vinyl( mostly for the side panels) I had access to a heavy duty sewing machine also. It was such a pain in the @%$!!!!!!! It took me all winter! It was my first try at it & they did come out quite nice,not perfect but very presentable, but I'd never do it again! Of course back then no one was making repro covers! I just redid the buckets on my current '68 using Legendary covers. They are beautiful, the fit was awesome! Legendary covers cost a little more but they're much better than some of the others. I've seen PUI covers for my '68 & they're horrible! The pleats on the PUIs are flat, The Legendarys match the original rear seat nicely.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DCP_5839.JPG (569.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg
DCP_5837.JPG (481.4 KB, 9 views)
Old September 26th, 2018, 01:08 PM
Ben

Originally Posted by rob1960
back in '80-'81 i made the bucket seat covers from scratch for my 1st '68 442 by using rear seat upholstery out of a junkyard & a few yards of plain madrid grain black vinyl( mostly for the side panels) i had access to a heavy duty sewing machine also. It was such a pain in the @%$!!!!!!! It took me all winter! It was my first try at it & they did come out quite nice,not perfect but very presentable, but i'd never do it again! Of course back then no one was making repro covers! I just redid the buckets on my current '68 using legendary covers. They are beautiful, the fit was awesome! Legendary covers cost a little more but they're much better than some of the others. I've seen pui covers for my '68 & they're horrible! The pleats on the puis are flat, the legendarys match the original rear seat nicely.
x100