MICE 🐭! Ugh!

Search this Thread

Old September 1st, 2018, 06:47 PM
Chris

MICE 🐭! Ugh!

So... I went up in my garage attic today to look for another part and I noticed that there was some foam under my near perfect recovered vinyl dark green split bench. Upon closer inspection I noticed a half dollar size hole right at the top of the passenger side seat side. Not sure what to do now. These were recovered with year one covered about 25 years ago but were super nice. Can a portion of the vinyl be repaired? Thanks!
chris
Old September 1st, 2018, 07:08 PM
Administrator

You may be able to get an upholstery shop to do that.
Old September 2nd, 2018, 04:13 AM

ive seen sections of vinyl replaced on auto upholstery that came out real nice .the trick will be finding something that matches well. Im in a constant battle with mice, i keep a half dozen traps baited year round .i have had some success with cottonballs soaked in peppermint oil to ward them off .
Old September 2nd, 2018, 04:55 AM
Chris

Thank you deadeye. I now have 5 traps baited with snickers and I will try that peppermint oil tip you mentioned. It's just so frustrating! Why couldn't it have chewed through the bottom of the seat where it wasn't visible? Ugh. Thanks again!
Chris
Old September 4th, 2018, 11:48 AM
Ben

The problem is not just what they did to the cover but what they may have to the inside.
If they got in and made a nest, that means they pissed inside your seat. The foam/Cotton holds that against the metal and it causes it to RUST.

I've seen a set of seats that only had mice in them for a few months (reeked!!!) and the whole bottom edge of the back seat cushion was covered with surface rust (rest of the frame & sprigns was shiny metal.

You will want to have someone pull it apart and clean that crap out of there or it will continue to do damage you can't see.
Old September 4th, 2018, 12:32 PM

I bought a "Walk the plank" trap off Ebay as a trial. It works and I will be buying some more.
Old September 5th, 2018, 06:02 AM

I use the electronic traps sold at major big box stores. Made by Victor and they work great, powered by 4 AA batteries. The mouse crawls in and gets electrocuted. I tried snap traps and all the mice did was lick the bait off of the trap without setting off the spring. Even tried using cotton ***** with peanut butter worked into the fiber but they pulled the baited ball off of the trap and ate the peanut butter.
Old September 6th, 2018, 05:01 PM
Chris

Thanks guys. I appreciate all of your advice.
Chris
Old September 7th, 2018, 02:12 PM
72 Olds CS

Mice i hate em, w snowmobiles, sheds, and a travel trailer every mouse in a 5 mile radius seems to come to my place

I dont like to use the poison because theres so many mice here i get a lot of wildlife that eats them.

I use snap traps w peanut butter w pretty good success, I got three last night and set up 12 more traps in various areas today.

The spearmint and peppermint essential oils work to keep them away but they need to be refreshed every 2-3 months