69 Dash Plastic Restoration

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2018, 06:38 AM

69 Red Dash Plastic Restoration

I've repaired a couple of small holes that were drilled into the dash in the flat portion above the radio with epoxy and glazing putty. It's been sanded smooth and ready for paint. Two questions.

Is there a way to get some of the light texture back that's been removed by the sanding?

Which SEM paint is most correct for the 69 red interior? I've used the firethorne red on my seat backs and it was a bit too red and not as dark as I'd like. Maybe it's that the original vinyl interior has darkened a bit over the years and doesn't look quite correct.

Last edited by AMMoyer; June 25th, 2018 at 09:27 PM.
Old June 25th, 2018, 09:26 PM

Update: I used some VHT wrinkle paint to get a fairly close match with the texture. It definitely took some experimenting and trial and error to get something I could live with. The area I was working in had a light texture I was trying to match. If you were wanting the heavier texture along the bottom it would be pretty difficult to do with this stuff. Texture is very dependent on number of coats, how heavy those coats are and temperature.

Still having trouble getting a color match for the '69 red interior. My trim code is 935, red buckets. My assembly manual lists 2 different reds, medium and dark, in the paint chart. Is there any way to know which I should have and which color would go where? AFAIK there is only one red interior available in '69.

I tried 2 SEM colors, Napa Red which is pretty much burgundy and the Firethorn which is red but not nearly dark enough. Neither are close. I'm trying to match the bottom edge of the console. Would it be "correct" to match the dash plastic to the console?

At this point I may have the paint shop match the console color and be done. Or try every satin shade of red Krylon at HD. Thanks for any input.

Last edited by AMMoyer; June 25th, 2018 at 09:30 PM.