All Thumbs Upholstery Inc. - carpet and sound deadener

Old April 6th, 2018, 11:54 AM

All Thumbs Upholstery Inc. - carpet and sound deadener

Once again, under the heading of stuff anyone can accomplish....subheading "we like pictures"

A convertible top fluid leak precipitated a couple of MAW's.

I don't have any pics of the installation of new top cylinders but that was a very, very easy project. Two tips.....one, get new lines when you replace the cylinders. Trust me on this one. Two, don't over tighten the big bolt the cylinders swivel on.....

The MAW was replacing the carpet and adding some sound deadening/heat shield type material to the floor pans. Previously, the floor would get hotter than a 4 testicled tomcat in an estrogen factory.

Being cheap, I decided to try out the roofing material and duct wrap. The short answer is that I think it worked out pretty well. Much cheaper than dynamat. Not too bad to work with. It stinks for awhile afterwards but that dissipated pretty quickly. Now, taking that stuff up? That's going to be someone else's issue should it ever need to be done. The upshot is that they floor doesn't give me the hot foot. Is it quieter? I dunno that I'd stake my claim on that benefit....but, it's a 47 year old convertible, so there is that....

The carpet was easy, I guess. Only tip there is to lay it out so it's nice and pliable. If you don't have a center console......I gotta think that laying the carpet would be a BREEZE. I am fortunate, I think, to have a center console.....so I lined up where the footwell on the drivers side goes......and layed it out. Cutting it was, for me, a little nerve wracking but all in all not too bad. This is a pretty easy project. On the whole though.......if I had to choose between paying someone 200 bucks to lay the carpet vice me doing it myself, hate to say it but I'd probably pay someone the 200 bucks. For whatever reason, I just didn't enjoy putting the carpet in.

Warning: once you have a nice, new carpet.....it really highlights how dingy the rest of the interior looks. Ask me how I know this.

Cheers,

Troy

Last edited by troyd; April 6th, 2018 at 11:58 AM.
Old April 6th, 2018, 03:12 PM
72 Olds CS

Looks good Troy, my interior is black so when I did the carpet I used the vinyl/carpet dye on the door panel carpet and it looks new too. I thought spraying the carpet would leave it coarse and stiff but surprisingly it's not!

You may have a harder time getting a color match w your interior tho!
Old April 7th, 2018, 03:00 PM

I did spray dye the interior panels.....the spray wasn't an exact match but, after a good cleaning and spraying, the interior looks pretty good. Not perfect but pretty good.....and, look, I drive the car so I'm not chasing perfect.

Cheers,

Troy
Old April 8th, 2018, 05:52 AM
Bfg

It looks like you also have the rare code 62 paint ( Bittersweet )