Another Seat Foam Question

Search this Thread

Old January 20th, 2018, 09:52 AM

Another Seat Foam Question

I'm ordering new covers for my Olds 442 from the only interior Co. Legendary Auto Interiors.
I have a question regarding seat foam.

I know ACI is the way to go, but from reading here, I found that there were 3 different foam styles for the 70 Olds bucket seats.

My seats have the small bolsters on the seat bottoms.
So the lower seat foam would need the partial tucks to make the seats look correct.

I want to get it right the first time.

Would 70 Chevelle seat foam work?

My question, what is my best option?
Old January 20th, 2018, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Bowite-Bri
I'm ordering new covers for my Olds 442 from the only interior Co. Legendary Auto Interiors.
I have a question regarding seat foam.

I know ACI is the way to go, but from reading here, I found that there were 3 different foam styles for the 70 Olds bucket seats.

My seats have the small bolsters on the seat bottoms.
So the lower seat foam would need the partial tucks to make the seats look correct.

I want to get it right the first time.

Would 70 Chevelle seat foam work?

My question, what is my best option?
Your BEST option is to get the foams that are made specifically for your model don't you think?

I have no idea if Chevelle foams have that feature but if you get Chevelle foams then make sure they're ACI as well. I assume you mention Chevelle foams b/c someone possibly sells them for a lower price?

You can modify seat foams that don't have the channels cut into them by cutting them yourself using your originals as a guide if you have them. Of course if you cut them yourself they won't be as even and smooth as molded-in channels but they will still work.

QUESTION: Why did you say "the ONLY interior co......" above?
Old January 20th, 2018, 09:37 PM

Thanks for the reply 70Post,

The only reason I mentioned Chevelle foams was because the channels are molded into them and thought they might be easier to modify for my application. I'm by far no expert on interior upholstery as I've never recovered any seats. I was just looking for options.

Originally Posted by 70Post
Your BEST option is to get the foams that are made specifically for your model don't you think?

I have no idea if Chevelle foams have that feature but if you get Chevelle foams then make sure they're ACI as well. I assume you mention Chevelle foams b/c someone possibly sells them for a lower price?

You can modify seat foams that don't have the channels cut into them by cutting them yourself using your originals as a guide if you have them. Of course if you cut them yourself they won't be as even and smooth as molded-in channels but they will still work.

In regards to the question below. I only said that because they are the only Co. I would use or recommend for replacement seat covers. I know there's another one that's been around for along time but I haven't heard alot of positive comments on them. Sorry no bashing intended.

QUESTION: Why did you say "the ONLY interior co......" above?

Old January 21st, 2018, 07:00 PM

No - I didn't think you were "bashing". Just thought you may be thinking Legendary is the only company that makes interior products for our cars.

They don't make the seat foams.....they just resell ACI's foams.

On any Chevelle foams w/molded-in channels, you would need to figure out the distance b/n the two channels and the length of each channel and compare to Olds.
Old January 21st, 2018, 07:26 PM

It's not a big deal to cut the channels, just use new razor blades. The ACI catalog isn't always clear which cushions are which, Legendary might be able to tell you either way.

Like Patton mentioned above, check the originals and try to match.
Old January 21st, 2018, 08:07 PM

Thanks 70Post!
I'll give Legendary a call this week.
I appreciate your help!

Originally Posted by 70Post
No - I didn't think you were "bashing". Just thought you may be thinking Legendary is the only company that makes interior products for our cars.

They don't make the seat foams.....they just resell ACI's foams.

On any Chevelle foams w/molded-in channels, you would need to figure out the distance b/n the two channels and the length of each channel and compare to Olds.
Old January 21st, 2018, 08:08 PM

Thanks Luke!

Originally Posted by 83hurstguy
It's not a big deal to cut the channels, just use new razor blades. The ACI catalog isn't always clear which cushions are which, Legendary might be able to tell you either way.

Like Patton mentioned above, check the originals and try to match.
Old January 21st, 2018, 11:17 PM
Ben

If it was me, i would use the buns with the two full size channels for the olds buns that need the "half" channel.

Simply take a bit of cotton batting and fill the un-used front part of the channel when you put the cover on. They will be invisible once the cover is on if you do it that way.

A lot less work than trying to locate the correct spots to cut the partial channels in buns without them.
Old January 24th, 2018, 10:42 AM

You think this seat foam will work for my car? It says in the description that it fits 1970 Cutlass. Its made by ACI.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVELLE-GT...-/280657041424

Here's what ACI shows for Cutlass.

http://www.legendaryautointeriors.co...ES/detail.html

Notice the difference in the design? Seems like the top one would work better. What are your thoughts on these? I need to order foam but want to make sure I get the best fit for my application.
Old January 24th, 2018, 03:41 PM
Ben

Just to clarify- which style covers do you have...

Attached are pictures of covers that are both correct for 70 Cutlass/442's Which one depended which option your interior had.

The Brown ones need the buns with no channels.
The Gold ones need channels.

The covers will actually come with sleeves that run the full length of the cover & channel if you want to do it that way- the channel creates the definition (tuck) for the bolsters. I've seen that done before, its not correct but does look pretty good.

As mentioned above they only used about half that length from the factory, and they had special buns with only a half length channel. (obvious from looking at the pic of the gold cover below)

I think if it were me I would buy the ones from wellington that you posted (i've used them before, they are a reputable reseller) with the full channels, and just fill in the un-used half with cotton batting after attaching the covers.

You can also go with the solid ones instead, and only open up what you need in the bun...
You would do that by laying the bun over the seat frame, and poking a pin or something up through the bun from the bottom to identify WHERE the listing rods channels need to be cut- then measuring and cutting only the length you need. Cuts should be nearly all the way through the bun, but not slicing through the mesh backing keeping it together.

Either way will work- price is the same, just a little "simpler" going with the ones that already have channels in my opinion.

I offered a set of original buns with the half channels to ACI a year ago for free to use as templates- they turned me down, said not enough interest to justify the work.... Too bad.

I have photos somewhere that have the dimensions of the channels. if you are interested I can dig them up again.

Note: Pics below came from Profit's website
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
_AA70GUD0010_3.jpg (9.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg
_AA70GUS0010_3.jpg (10.1 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by RAMBOW; January 24th, 2018 at 03:43 PM.
Old January 24th, 2018, 09:32 PM

Thanks Rambow for posting those pics of the seats. They show the different cushion styles. I'll be getting the ones from Wellington. I appreciate your help!

Originally Posted by RAMBOW
Just to clarify- which style covers do you have...

Attached are pictures of covers that are both correct for 70 Cutlass/442's Which one depended which option your interior had.

The Brown ones need the buns with no channels.
The Gold ones need channels.

The covers will actually come with sleeves that run the full length of the cover & channel if you want to do it that way- the channel creates the definition (tuck) for the bolsters. I've seen that done before, its not correct but does look pretty good.

As mentioned above they only used about half that length from the factory, and they had special buns with only a half length channel. (obvious from looking at the pic of the gold cover below)

I think if it were me I would buy the ones from wellington that you posted (i've used them before, they are a reputable reseller) with the full channels, and just fill in the un-used half with cotton batting after attaching the covers.

You can also go with the solid ones instead, and only open up what you need in the bun...
You would do that by laying the bun over the seat frame, and poking a pin or something up through the bun from the bottom to identify WHERE the listing rods channels need to be cut- then measuring and cutting only the length you need. Cuts should be nearly all the way through the bun, but not slicing through the mesh backing keeping it together.

Either way will work- price is the same, just a little "simpler" going with the ones that already have channels in my opinion.

I offered a set of original buns with the half channels to ACI a year ago for free to use as templates- they turned me down, said not enough interest to justify the work.... Too bad.

I have photos somewhere that have the dimensions of the channels. if you are interested I can dig them up again.

Note: Pics below came from Profit's website