New Carpet Needed- Have Question Though

Search this Thread

Old January 9th, 2018, 09:48 AM

New Carpet Needed- Have Question Though

I want to replace the carpet in my 70 Olds 442.
I'm looking a using a carpet kit from ACC. OPG has the kit listed for $160.
I went on ACC's website and they have what I believe is the same kit for $100 more and I can figure out why. I also was wondering about this Mass backing option they have for $109 more. Has anyone here used their carpet kit? What were your experiences? Has anyone here ordered the kit with the optional "Mass backing"?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Old January 9th, 2018, 09:51 AM

I have used the ACC Carpet without the Mass Backing in my 66 Project, and it fit pretty good. Bunched up a little near the accelerator pedal. I got it for $158 shipped on eBay.
Old January 9th, 2018, 10:01 AM

I used the Parts Place Mass Backing version on my 72.....laid down well....I like the way it looks.
Old January 9th, 2018, 10:30 AM

The Parts Place has a good description of the Mass backing and what it does.
The price for the kit is pretty reasonable at $229 as well! I think I might have to pull the trigger on this kit!
Thanks!

Interior - CARPET (MASS BACKED)
WHAT IS ALL THIS BUZZ ABOUT MASS BACKED CARPETS, IS IT REALLY WORTH IT? THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE MASS BACK CARPET AND THE STANDARD POLY BACKED CARPET IS THE ADDITION OF SOUND DEADENING BACKING MATERIAL THAT IS CALLED ''MASS BACKING''. THE MASS BACKING MATERIAL, IS APPROXIMATELY 40 MIL THICK, AND IS HEAT BONDED TO THE BACK OF THE STANDARD POLY BACKED CARPET, THEN THE HEAVY JUTE BACKING IS BONDED TO IT. THIS IS MUCH DIFFERENT THAN JUST THE STANDARD POLY BACKING, THAT IS BASICALLY JUST GLUE THAT KEEPS THE WOVEN CARPET FROM COMING APART. THE PURPOSE FOR MASS BACKING IS FOR ADDITIONAL SOUND DEADENING AND HEAT SHIELDING. IT ALSO MAKES THE CARPET'S OVERALL WEIGHT HEAVIER DUE TO THE ADDITION OF THE BACKING MATERIAL, THEREFORE GIVING IT A MORE LUXURIOUS FEEL. THIS HEAVIER BACKING ALSO AIDS IN THE INSTALLATION PROCESS, THE CARPET WILL LAY DOWN BETTER MAKING IT QUICKER AND EASIER TO INSTALL. IT IS THE CARPET THAT WE HIGHLY RECOMMEND FOR CUSTOMERS LOOKING FOR THE BEST. YOU GET A HIGHER QUALITY INSTALLATION AND THE MASS BACKING ADDS SOUND DEADENING AND HEAT SHIELDING PROPERTIES THAT ARE NOT AVAILABLE WITH STANDARD POLY BACKED. THIS WILL SAVE YOU MORE TIME WHEN YOU ARE LOOKING FOR ADDITIONAL SOUND DEADENER FOR YOUR VEHICLE; WITH THIS CARPET YOU WON'T HAVE TO LAY DOWN SEPARATE SOUND DEADENER, THEN INSTALL YOUR CARPET! YOU CAN DO IT IN ONE STEP. THE SOUND DEADENING OF THE MASS BACK IS SIMILAR TO DYNAMAT OR FAT MAT. THIS WILL GIVE YOU THE INSIDE ACOUSTICS OF A HIGH END LUXURY CAR IN YOUR CLASSIC OR MUSCLE CAR. MOST CARPETS SHIP IN 2-3 DAYS AFTER YOUR ORDER IS RECEIVED. THE MAJORITY OF OUR CUSTOMER'S HAVE THEIR PRODUCTS IN THEIR HANDS IN 7-10 DAYS, THAT IS DEPENDENT UPON WHERE YOU ARE LOCATE ALL FACTORY COLORS AVAILABLE PLEASE SPECIFY WHICH COLOR YOU NEED.

Originally Posted by Dave26
I used the Parts Place Mass Backing version on my 72.....laid down well....I like the way it looks.
Old January 9th, 2018, 11:12 AM

Rock Auto also sells ACC
Old January 9th, 2018, 02:24 PM
Frank Ignachuck

I dug out my notes from 2012 when I did my interior, and at that time, ACC made the carpets for just about everyone. They charged more to buy direct from them to protect their retailers/distributors.