Anyone have an original '66 '67 Strato headrest?

Search this Thread

Old December 30th, 2017, 12:11 PM
4R5

Anyone have an original '66 '67 Strato headrest?

Could you measure the center spacing of the posts at the headrest? See picture.

I have a set of '67 strato seat backs that had headrests, the PO removed them and the mounting brackets. I bought a repro pair of headrests & brackets and when I placed the new brackets in the same spot as the originals, the headrest posts would bind in the brackets, the headrests would not go all the way down.

I moved the brackets inboard (toward each other) as far as they would go, and while better, the headrests still bind. I can get them down, but not without a lot of force, i.e. both hands pushing. I have to use both hands to wiggle them back up.

The original center spacing of the brackets looks to be 10 1/2", the center spacing of the repro headrest posts is 10 5/16. Way off. Even moving in the brackets to the limit of their adjustment nets at best 10 7/16" center spacing.

So if someone has an original set I would appreciate it if you could measure them.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Dscn6983a.jpg (1.43 MB, 14 views)
Old December 30th, 2017, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by 4R5
Could you measure the center spacing of the posts at the headrest? See picture.

I have a set of '67 strato seat backs that had headrests, the PO removed them and the mounting brackets. I bought a repro pair of headrests & brackets and when I placed the new brackets in the same spot as the originals, the headrest posts would bind in the brackets, the headrests would not go all the way down.

I moved the brackets inboard (toward each other) as far as they would go, and while better, the headrests still bind. I can get them down, but not without a lot of force, i.e. both hands pushing. I have to use both hands to wiggle them back up.

The original center spacing of the brackets looks to be 10 1/2", the center spacing of the repro headrest posts is 10 5/16. Way off. Even moving in the brackets to the limit of their adjustment nets at best 10 7/16" center spacing.

So if someone has an original set I would appreciate it if you could measure them.

Thanks!
I have those in my 66 Project 442, and the center to center measurement is 10 1/2".
Old December 31st, 2017, 12:58 PM
4R5

Thanks Randy!
That jives with the original spacing on the seat backs. I managed to bend the rods to the 10 1/2" center line and they work a lot better. But I noticed they still bind at one point, and looking at the rods versus a picture of an original set, I see why. The original rods had a curve, where as the repros have basically 2 straight sections with a 'knee". The 1st pic is an original, the 2nd is the repro. I'll bet the curve was there to keep the headrests in whatever position they were set to, just enough "snugness" to keep them from falling down or out.

Randy, would you be able to take measurements of the space from a straightedge to the center of the rod at its max curve point? That's the 3rd picture. And the length of the curved rod and the straightedge? That's the last picture. I'm going to try straightening mine and then bending them as the originals. Your dimensions will be enough to figure the bend radius.

Thanks, Karl
Attached Images
10.jpg (503.3 KB, 8 views)
DSCN6987.JPG (3.52 MB, 9 views)
DSCN6986.JPG (3.20 MB, 8 views)
Dscn6989a.jpg (1.23 MB, 9 views)
Old December 31st, 2017, 01:37 PM

Karl, you are right, the curve on the rod is smooth. The gap at the widest point is 7/16", but I don't think it would affect anything if it was a bit less. (I wished mine looked new and shiny like yours )
Attached Images
headrest.jpg (1.16 MB, 9 views)
Old December 31st, 2017, 07:40 PM

that kink sucks i can see why it would bind.
Old January 1st, 2018, 07:18 AM
4R5

Thanks again Randy! I ended up reducing the knee to about 3/8" and now they slide up & down nicely, the detents work as they should. Karl
Old January 1st, 2018, 09:23 AM

Glad I could help out. Happy New Year!!