Finish of seat rebuild

Search this Thread

Old August 21st, 2017, 02:54 PM

Finish of seat rebuild

Replaced over 50% of springs. all edgewire, padding and covers.
Has flaws, not perfect. Used universal covers, available from a lot of sellers. I have heard they all come from Easy Boy? Made many mistakes. Covers do not have pockets for wires. Learned a lot. Help from Ben Rambow.

Old August 21st, 2017, 04:38 PM

Looks good.
Old August 21st, 2017, 04:48 PM
Olds Fever

Nice looking job... As you said, you learned a lot and there's must to be said about that... Ready for the next job???
Old August 22nd, 2017, 06:21 AM

I think those look good.

I've also heard folks say that all of the universal covers come from this supplier:

https://www.lebaronbonney.com/index.htm

BTW, which supplier did you buy your covers from?
Old August 22nd, 2017, 09:04 AM

automotiveinteriors.com
Ben said the covers are made by one supplier and this place had the best pricing.
It looks good in the pics, some flaws up close. The advantage of a big car, you have to stand so far away to get pics the flaws don't show. For me, a very long process. And you have to have room to work. Took up a full bay to have room to work.
Thanks to all for your input, encouragement is needed by anyone doing a project.
Old August 22nd, 2017, 09:20 AM

Nice looking interior. That's a "Big" job to tackle. Also it was great of RamBow giving advice. I've mentioned before that he should move to centrally located Ohio because of shipping cost. I think there's a demand for interior business.
Old August 22nd, 2017, 12:51 PM

One thing I liked it was clean compared to many other big jobs. Excepting the sandblasting of the frame. And one of my many mistakes was that there is one area where the spring loops have to face in a certain direction. The seatbelt goes through a plastic piece and it has to clear the spring loops. I missed that on one side and was not going to take it all off and start again, so I worked around it.
Old August 25th, 2017, 11:46 AM
Ben

Pat they turned out fantastic!

For anyone who didn't follow along the earlier post- Pat had to completely fabricate the front bench seat spring assembly from scratch. THE WHOLE THING. Hand fabricated, each spring bent, clamped, edgewires & support rods formed.

This is a major undertaking.
Many might ask why go through all that, but where he lives there was not any donor seats available- and he also wanted the challenge of actually doing it himself since he's doing everything on this car himself. AND HE DID IT!!!!!
Doing the upholstery alone is a big deal, but hand fabricating the springs is a flat out amazing achievement!

I will say that I think I could have talked you through working those wrinkles out of the back seat, but I can also understand not wanting to get it back out again after all the effort to get it in!!! If you ever do need to pull it again, give me a call and i'll walk you through working those out.

You have a lot to be proud of Pat! Very nice work!

For those covers... Those are the old "AutoKraft" Covers that you used to be able to buy from JC whitney. I don't know exactly who makes them now, but they are available through many sources and prices and optional patterns- but they are essentially the same product and its a decent quality item.
They have patterns for every American car & truck seat going back to the 30's. Then you can pick "options" on the cover to design the style you want. Direction of the pleats, caps on top, bottom or sides, material, colors, piping, etc.

The only issue i have with them is that as pat noted, they don't have sleeves at the bottom edges of the covers, so you have to work a little more to ensure that the cover is tightened down evenly as you go. Its easy to leave the covers too loose or too tight in places since the sleeve is not there to set a consistent "installed" height.

Anyway.. Way to go Pat!

Last edited by RAMBOW; August 25th, 2017 at 11:51 AM.
Old August 28th, 2017, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by RAMBOW
Doing the upholstery alone is a big deal, but hand fabricating the springs is a flat out amazing achievement!
That's awesome!
Old October 27th, 2017, 07:24 PM

Impressive, and I am grateful for the pictures and info. Came across this thread looking for how to tackle the interior in my own 65 98 convertible. Not priority one, but a ratty interior takes some of the fun out of things. Outstanding job!
Old October 28th, 2017, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by CJ73
Not priority one, but a ratty interior takes some of the fun out of things. Outstanding job!
x2

Patrick did an awesome job!

BTW, Patrick I ordered seat covers to recover some seats for my truck from Automotive Interiors. Their prices were much better than Kanter or LeBaron Bonney. Every time I called I spoke to Diane. She was polite and friendly. I look forward to getting my seat covers.
Old October 28th, 2017, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
x2

BTW, Patrick I ordered seat covers to recover some seats for my truck from Automotive Interiors. Their prices were much better than Kanter or LeBaron Bonney. Every time I called I spoke to Diane. She was polite and friendly. I look forward to getting my seat covers.
thanks for the tip, I will check them out!
Old October 29th, 2017, 01:00 PM

Thanks for the thumbs up. The previous owner of this car pulled it out of a field, said snow had collapsed the top down to the seats. He got it running, pulled the top and carpet out and just ran it around the back roads here with his kids and never tagged it, owning it for over 15 years. He had the idea to restore it, collected some replacement parts but really did not have the ability to see it through. He lives less then a mile up my road. I heard about it, looked at it and made a deal for it. It likely will see the road this spring.
Old October 29th, 2017, 02:54 PM
Frank Ignachuck

Originally Posted by Olds64
x2

Glad to hear that Automotive Interiors is still around. I did a lot of research five years ago when I did my interior, and ended up with Diane and Automotive Interiors.

They were great then and apparently still are.
Old October 30th, 2017, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by ignachuck
They were great then and apparently still are.
Yeah, it might take 6-8 weeks to get the covers but I have a receipt in my email so I'm not worried. Once I get the covers I will post pics for everyone to see. Even though they're for my truck.