how do you remove sun visors?

Search this Thread

Old April 10th, 2017, 12:56 PM

how do you remove sun visors?

Need to re-stitch. Thanks.
Old April 10th, 2017, 12:57 PM

Sorry - it's a 71 CS convertible
Old April 10th, 2017, 03:39 PM

There is screw in the metal base/pivot part that is attached near the A-pillar. It is used to tighten the visor, and if it is removed completely, the visor shaft can be pulled out of the metal base/pivot.
Old April 11th, 2017, 06:32 AM

Thank you. I assume you mean the actual mounting base for the bracket rather than the screw on the bottom side of the bracket right where the actual visor comes out of the bracket, bc I tried that and couldn't get it out. But maybe I just need to be more forceful. If I do have to get to the mounting base of the entire bracket instead, I suppose that requires loosening (hopefully not removing) the rear view mirror base "cover" as well as the covers across the top of the windshield? Do I have to remove the A-pillar covers to be able to remove the top windshield covers?
Old April 11th, 2017, 05:37 PM

I don't know if this is the exact type you have, but it will show the necessary detail.

The screw that clamps the visor shaft in the mount needs to be removed. It is the screw that is shown still installed in the image below.

Note the "notch" in the visor shaft. The screw slips into this notch and retains the visor in the mount. This is why the screw has to be completely removed.

The bushing/insert that is in the mount hole, that the shaft goes into, has a notch as well. You may need to pull a bit to get the visor shaft out after the screw is fully removed.

Last edited by Fun71; April 11th, 2017 at 05:45 PM.
Old April 11th, 2017, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
I don't know if this is the exact type you have, but it will show the necessary detail.

The screw that clamps the visor shaft in the mount needs to be removed. It is the screw that is shown still installed in the image below.

Note the "notch" in the visor shaft. The screw slips into this notch and retains the visor in the mount. This is why the screw has to be completely removed.

The bushing/insert that is in the mount hole, that the shaft goes into, has a notch as well. You may need to pull a bit to get the visor shaft out after the screw is fully removed.
That is fantastic, and is exactly what I needed. Mine is slightly different, but it tells me that I simply didn't pull hard enough on the shaft of the visor once I disconnected that screw. I'll follow back up if I have any more trouble, but I'm sure that will take care of it. Thanks!