Replace 6-way power front bench with manual?

Search this Thread

Old April 3rd, 2017, 01:21 PM

Replace 6-way power front bench with manual?

1972 Vista Cruiser. My front bench is a 6-way power unit and it is not only completely trashed, but the motor is also barely functional and the seat is stuck in a pretty high upright position and pretty close to the wheel. I'm 6'5", so I'm kinda squeezed into my wagon when I drive it.

My question: do regular bench seats bolt directly in place of the fancy 6-way power bench? Or is there someone who knows how to refurbish these power bench seats so that I can at least scoot it back a little more and adjust the backrest?
Old April 3rd, 2017, 01:41 PM
4R5

Hi, if the power seat is original, it should be a 4 way, not 6 way. The 4 way control panel will have just the joystick, the 6 way will have the joystick and 2 buttons on either side of the joystick, they look like the power window switches. I have a '71 VC with the 4 way seat, I'm only 6' and the seat does not go back far enough. The manual tracks were different that the power tracks in the back but IIRC the front is the same. I don't think the manual will buy you anything. I'm planning to make some adapter plates to allow the seat to move back 1 or 2" and am thinking of a 6 way setup, maybe even a nicer seat, like the strato bench that the Eldos, Toros & Rivs had. The mechanism is not that hard to pull and repair, I seem to remeber several posts here ot just Google it. I do have a name of a repair place, I think in the Chicago area. Let me know I can dig up the info if you want.
Old April 3rd, 2017, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by 4R5
Hi, if the power seat is original, it should be a 4 way, not 6 way. The 4 way control panel will have just the joystick, the 6 way will have the joystick and 2 buttons on either side of the joystick, they look like the power window switches. I have a '71 VC with the 4 way seat, I'm only 6' and the seat does not go back far enough. The manual tracks were different that the power tracks in the back but IIRC the front is the same. I don't think the manual will buy you anything. I'm planning to make some adapter plates to allow the seat to move back 1 or 2" and am thinking of a 6 way setup, maybe even a nicer seat, like the strato bench that the Eldos, Toros & Rivs had. The mechanism is not that hard to pull and repair, I seem to remeber several posts here ot just Google it. I do have a name of a repair place, I think in the Chicago area. Let me know I can dig up the info if you want.
youre right, it is indeed a 4-way. Glad to know that mine probably isn't stuck on the tracks, it's probably just pushed all the way back since you mentioned it's still too short for you. Do you know how to adjust the backrest to lean back a little bit? Mine is way too upright.
Old April 3rd, 2017, 02:11 PM

I probably have the parts to fix your power unit. If the cables, tracks and wiring is good then just the motor or transmission needs replaced/rebuilt.

John
Old April 3rd, 2017, 03:19 PM

I bought these for my bench seat int he Cutlass. With my girls we had the opposite problem, we needed to get the seat an inch closer. They told me no one ever asked that question before but I just flipped them and they work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/332034434367...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old April 3rd, 2017, 03:32 PM
Administrator

I've done the same thing but made my own.
Old April 8th, 2017, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by stevengerard
I bought these for my bench seat int he Cutlass. With my girls we had the opposite problem, we needed to get the seat an inch closer. They told me no one ever asked that question before but I just flipped them and they work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/332034434367...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
nice. These are crazy expensive for what they are, but I'll definitely keep my eye on these or see if I can make some myself.

How can I adjust the angle of the backrest so it's not so upright? Is there an adjustment for this, or is it just fixed?