62 Cutlass Convert roof rail weatherstrip fit problem-help

Old January 28th, 2017, 07:40 AM

62 Cutlass Convert roof rail weatherstrip fit problem-help

I am fitting new weathersrtip to the convertible top frame and am having difficulty with the pieces that are over the doors and wrap the corners of the front bow. The angle and mass of the corner that goes under the front bow seems too big and holds the bow up well off the windshield. The strip that goes side to side on the bow seems too small and barely touches the top of the windshield chrome. I have the original pieces but they are well mashed and hard to tell where the Steel Rubber stuff differs. The side to side piece from Steel Rubber does seem somewhat smaller.

Anyone have experience with this? I am using Steel Rubbers stuff which seems to be the only one available. The top frame is bare.

Hope this is the right forum. If not please move it or let me know.Thanks
Old January 28th, 2017, 09:04 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Typically when replacing the soft seals the new parts are higher and need some time to compress and comply down to their working height. If they started out at the "fit" height then they would be unless in a short period of time after compression and shrinkage. Couldn't hurt to give the Steel tech line a call just to confirm what Im saying. If you're still struggling, find a good vert top installer in your hood and let them take a look.
Back off on the adjustments before installation. Then slowly bring them back down to where it seals a little bit at a time. You will need to readjust as the rubber shrinks and compresses over time. Nature of the beast with a vert.
Old January 28th, 2017, 10:16 AM

Hey, thanks for the calming message, I've been going side to side for 3 days and decided to give it a rest. Yeah. I am familiar with the "new" fluffed up condition of new seals but this front seal seems way high and when the shape conforms to the windshield it places the bow further back than I would expect. It also will NOT go under the skinny hold down bracket that goes side to side and holds down the strip that seal side to side. And the side to side piece barely touches, won't even hold wind back. Talked to Steele and am sending in the original side piece and cross piece for them to check out. He says they've been selling this kit for 20years so I gotta think there is someone out there that has used the exact kit and has some experience with it.
Old January 28th, 2017, 10:19 AM

What the Doc said. I replaced all the weatherstrips on my 67 Cutlass convertible when I had a new top installed. Nothing seemed to fit right at first but it kept compressing over time and and I slowly tightened my adjustments. It probably took 2 years until I was really happy with the fit, water barrier and wind noise reduction. It probably could have been sooner but I didn't drive the car much after the new top install and didn't make adjustments right away while it sat. I did keep the weatherstrip wiped down with a good quality silicone oil and manually manipulated the weatherstrips to fit around the closed windows and to make sure it was laying flat across the chrome header. I looked back at my receipts and it's been 7 years since my new top install and my weatherstrip seem to fit as well as the factory stuff. I drive it a lot more now. You will have to give it some time. Good luck with your car.
Old January 29th, 2017, 09:39 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Keep us informed as to what Steel says. Im sure you are not the only one to have experienced this particular problem.
Old January 30th, 2017, 06:59 AM

Will do, and I'll keep up with the adjusting and tightening. Looks like one of my old/maybe original rams has sprung a leak at the seal and my motor is acting up so I gotta address that before I get going again on the strips. Just about have the car back on the street after sitting sine 1971. Trying to use as much original as possible.
Old February 16th, 2017, 11:57 AM

Steele says that the weatherstrip I have is the best they have available. They have been selling it for a long time and don't typically have any issues with it coming back. The piece that goes side to side is typical of pieces on other GM converts and Steele does say my orig is larger and a little different than the one they supply but it's the best they have. So, fit and adjust.
Had to replace both my rams and got a new hose set too. Went to Convertible Services out of SoCal. They build the cylinder there along with hose, great support. Recommended not replacing the pump until I tested it with the new rams. Worked great. Very nice quality stuff-soft/flexible with superior fittings. Had some replacement hose from a supplier in Florida, generic hard nylon that was too long and kinked. Would recommend Convertible Services for parts and they do installs and repairs there as well.