69 Bucket seat back removal

Search this Thread

Old December 26th, 2016, 07:26 AM
dualquadpete

69 Bucket seat back removal

did a search here but nothing came up?? How do you get the seat back panels off??? Need to dye mine & would be easier with backs off the seats!! Thanks pete
Old December 26th, 2016, 07:49 AM

First take the seats out of the car. having a table or bench to work on is best. Fold the seat forward and at the bottom of the seat back there is a lip where the back panel folds in. there is a few screws there that hold the back panel to the bottom of the seat back. You also need to take then lift the seat back up sharply as it slides over a set of small brackets that holds the top of the seat back on. So, take the screws out pull the back panel away from the seat at the bottom about and inch or two then pop it up. Then it is off.

Hope this helps
Larry
lemoldsnut@aol.com
Old December 26th, 2016, 10:24 AM

Larry gave good advice, although you don't have to take the seats out. The hard part is the lock, that's got to come off, there are screw(s) underneath it that hold the back on. I like to put masking tape on the seat back on both sides of the lock. Then you need a thin putty knife...preferably plastic. You push the knife in between the lock and the back at the middle of the lock. There is a heavy spring clip on each side. Look at a picture on ebay of a lock. They are tough and often break. The tape prevents scratching the back, you may want several layers or a rag, too. They are tough to get out if it's your first time.
Old December 27th, 2016, 11:06 AM
Ben

Yup. everything MR Olds69 said.

You will most likely break the lock buttons getting them out, so just be prepared for that. Unfortunately breaking them doesn't make it any easier to get out...

Use a really thin screwdriver, or narrow putty knife to press inward on the sides to compress the spring clips that hold it in.

Sometimes one side pops up, and then you can just take it out...

Take your time and it'll happen. I've done many- and it still takes me 10 mins or so to get one out- and even then they often break in the process.