57.14%
Not really
28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Custom Subwoofer enclosures 64-67 A-body

Search this Thread

Old February 20th, 2009, 12:53 PM

Custom Subwoofer enclosures 64-67 A-body

Mods I am not selling here I am just asking if there is an interest if that is against forum rules please let me kow and I will remove the ad or you can, we are only trying to gauge interest, thank you.

Guys we are in the process of designing some custom fiberglass enclosures for our slim mount sub woofer that will mount on the side of the vehicle and they will be designed for the 64-67 A-body first (depending on the response the 68-72 will follow). What we would like to know if this is something that you would be interested in?

We have some criteria that we are going to maintain in the completion of this product as we realize that no one is offering this for the muscle car market and the designers at our company all drive muscle cars.

The enclosure is designed out of fiberglass and will mount on the side of the trunk and it will be a drop in design. This will take up less space than a conventional sub woofer enclosure due to the design.The finish will be raw so that you can cover or paint to your desire.

You will have the option to utilize our slim mount line sub woofer or you can utilize your own (not sure if it will fit as our driver is only 3.5 in deep) it will be available in a 10" or 12".

We have a few ideas regarding powered enclosure, non power options, we are also considering offering a 5 channel amplifier for a full system design.

We realize that it is very difficult to get the nice low end extension in these cars with out taking up a lot of room. Again this is just to gauge interest.

We have come to find out that these cars are becoming increasingly popular and we need start to catering to these vehicles.

If you have any questions or suggestions please let me know thanks.

Last edited by gthmcty1; February 20th, 2009 at 01:02 PM.
Old February 20th, 2009, 01:13 PM
car guy

Will it fit a convertible? If so I might be interested.
Old February 20th, 2009, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
Will it fit a convertible? If so I might be interested.
The first man on the scene! Yes it will fit a convertible.
Old February 20th, 2009, 02:49 PM

I have to say I wouldn't be interested. Mostly because subwoofers can be installed easily at home in a pre-made generic box or cutom home-made box. This is something that is relatively easy to do. I helped a friend put a subwoofer in his Ford.
Old February 20th, 2009, 03:18 PM

I can appreciate that, but also keep in mind that these boxes are designed SPECIFICALLY for these cars not a box that you just assemble and throw in the back of the trunk, also the other advantage is the weight savings of our "slim mount" woofer, along with a fiberglass enclosure.
You may be saying what is the advantage of our particular driver over the competition? Well first of all we are an engineering company first and a performance company second.

What I mean by that is our slim mount woofer does not have a "conventional" design, during development we found that the slim mount woofers performance was being hindered by the spider, limiting the excursion of the driver, thus limiting the bass output as well as the low end extension.

Our driver has a spider-less design with our own surround design, this gave us the ability of having a slim mount woofer with the performance of a conventional sub woofer, also our design regarding magnet structure is different, we went with a hybrid design instead of a conventional magnet.

We fused a smaller conventional magnet together with a neodymium, this did 2 thing s for us, we were able to keep the weight down again, but we increased the BL factor by using a neodymium magnet which has a much stronger pulling force which helps keep the voice coil within the "BL factor", which in turn gives you better control of the sub woofer (or dampening).

So yes you can take a woofer and put it in a box, and yes you will have the added weight of the MDF material along with the weight of a conventional woofer.
Old February 20th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Registered

Sounds like a good idea, those boxes just eat up too much room and weigh a ton, with the spare tire there isn't a lot of room anyway. Convertibles are a challenge when it comes to sound systems.Would a powered unit fits under the front seat?
Old February 20th, 2009, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
Sounds like a good idea, those boxes just eat up too much room and weigh a ton, with the spare tire there isn't a lot of room anyway. Convertibles are a challenge when it comes to sound systems.Would a powered unit fits under the front seat?
Although our woofers are only 3.5" deep they would not fit underneath the seat, the design will have an option of porting it up through the rear deck in order to "channel" the sound through to the interior of the cab.

Our main goal here is to offer a product that is :

1. Light
2. Out of the way to maintain optimal trunk space
3. Sound great
4. Offer something that the mainstream companies have forgotten about with the classics.
Old February 20th, 2009, 04:48 PM

I would be very interested! My sub woofer installation leaves a lot to be desired. Ugly , big square box that takes up a lot of room in my trunk.
Old February 26th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Sorry bud, I have an 85'.
Sounds like fun though.
Old February 27th, 2009, 04:43 AM
Past Administrator

Sounds like you have found a niche in the marketplace. Most "car guy/audio nut" type people think the bigger the better and simply want to impress people with that huge box in the trunk. If you are able to design and assemble a box as you described you might have something there. I do know that neodynium magnets are very powerful but also very expensive comparatively to standard magnets. You may find the cost will run some people away in the end. Good luck.