ACI Seat Foam Question

Search this Thread

Old July 23rd, 2016, 05:38 AM

ACI Seat Foam Question

I'm a bit confused here as I made a purchase of ACI seat foam for my 1970 442 coupe's bucket seats and the company I bought through (Wellington Classics) sent ACI cushions with no slots in the top or bottom buns.

I contacted them about the seat foam they sent and explained how I asked/bought the seat foam that showed the slots but they sent the wrong foam pads. They said that they sent the correct foam pads and that my seats use the foam pads with no slots built. The person dealing with me stated "... the 1968-1971 Olds uses the same Slotless cushions..."

I gave the company my exact vehicle specs as they requested but they are positive that my seats do not need the slots. I responded back a third time and sent pictures of the original seat foam that I am replacing that shows the slots.

Has anyone had dealing with this company - good or bad?

Tom
Old July 23rd, 2016, 05:43 AM

Here are pictures of my old seat foam.

Last edited by tdhill01; January 13th, 2018 at 05:29 PM.
Old July 23rd, 2016, 06:07 AM
72 Olds CS

Maybe pm Rambos on this site he has rebuilt several sets of seats.
Old July 23rd, 2016, 06:08 AM

Good idea, thanks.
Old July 23rd, 2016, 08:29 AM
Ben

Originally Posted by tdhill01
Good idea, thanks.
The issue is that nobody makes buns with the partial slot that is used by the olds. They make full slots, and no slot.
GM had several other variations, and you have to pic something close and modify it.

Personally my preference would be for full slot buns for this application. you can the fill the unused portion of the channel with cotton batting.

You can definitely use the no slot buns too though.. one way is to just ignore the listing rods all together.. makes for an easy cover install, but the seats won't have the tucks for the bolsters they should that way.

You can also put the bun in place, mark where the channel should go, then carefully cut it with a box knife to create the correct half channels.

This is trickier, but I have done it many times for seats with listing rod configurations that don't match the available buns.

I think on seeing the pic of the oem buns you took out of the seat that have slots, wellington should realize that maybe you do need the slotted buns (regardless of what aci says) and make it right and chalk it up to product education....

If they won't though, let me know and I can talk you through trimming out the slots yourself. I have some pics somewhere showing my process, I'll dig em up and post.

Ben
Old July 23rd, 2016, 09:06 AM
Ben

I just replied to your e-mail with some more details.

Part of the problem is that there are three different cover/bun designs olds used between 70-72. One has the partial tucks that you need, this is the 70 442/"S" bun, the other two are "cutlass" buns (two different cover styles, both have no bolster tucks).

So you and Wellington are both right and both wrong.
The issue is Wellington did not ask you which you needed (likely did not know there were two style buns used and should be asking).

Anyway, my e-mail has more details on how to modify the buns you have on hand to make them work.
Old July 23rd, 2016, 10:04 AM

I received a reply back from the distributor and he stated the cushions with the slots is not wide enough for my seat. He also stated if I called another ACI dealer (even Legendary) they would sell me the same item. I guess I will go by Ben's direction to utilize them and chalk it up to sometimes things aren't always what they seem to be.
Old July 23rd, 2016, 04:44 PM
Ben

He is just trying to avoid eating return shipping on the buns.
No worries though, I'll help you make em work- Its not that bad.

I'll send a followup e-mail with some pics later this evening or tomorrow.
Old July 23rd, 2016, 04:46 PM

Thank you Ben.