72 dash fit a 71 cutlass?

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2016, 10:18 AM

72 dash fit a 71 cutlass?

Gotta line on a good condition dash in my shade of blue but its a 72. I believe it would fit into my 71 but should get confirmation from you guys as due diligence. any issues? no rush to do this swap but I might want to get the dash now and then work up the move to dive into the swap, hear it can turn into a nightmare.
Old May 4th, 2016, 10:51 AM

Yes, 70-72 will all fit. The only difference is the wood grain pattern which is different for each year. Some had the chrome bead trim some don't. AC dash is different from non AC. 71 and 72 differ only in the shade of the woodgrain. 71= walnut and 72= rosewood. subtle diff but side by side noticeable. Is it just the pad you are interested in or the whole lower dash?
Old May 4th, 2016, 11:24 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by scrappie
AC dash is different from non AC.
Actually, that's not entirely correct. The cars with vent windows (Sport Coupes, more-doors, and wagons) got the pad without cutouts if it was non-A/C. Holiday coupes and convertibles got the pad with the vent cutouts ever for non-A/C cars. The outer vents were used for the upper level ventilation in those cars (that replaced the missing vent windows). The actual vents were different from those used on A/C cars, and the center vent was blocked with a dummy plate, but it's the same pad as used on the A/C cars.
Old May 4th, 2016, 11:42 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by wcourt3010
Gotta line on a good condition dash in my shade of blue but its a 72. I believe it would fit into my 71 but should get confirmation from you guys as due diligence. any issues? no rush to do this swap but I might want to get the dash now and then work up the move to dive into the swap, hear it can turn into a nightmare.
I have a blue dash pad from a 1971 Cutlass Supreme. It's in good shape from being out here in Alberta. It has all the mounting studs intact and no cracks in the pad. When you say dash, are you referring to the dash pad, or the intermediate dash that holds the gages, switches? I have both.

If you want pictures of the dash pad and dash, LMK. It might cost less to ship from within Canada AB to ONT
Old May 5th, 2016, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
I have a blue dash pad from a 1971 Cutlass Supreme. It's in good shape from being out here in Alberta. It has all the mounting studs intact and no cracks in the pad. When you say dash, are you referring to the dash pad, or the intermediate dash that holds the gages, switches? I have both.

If you want pictures of the dash pad and dash, LMK. It might cost less to ship from within Canada AB to ONT
yeah sure send me some pics. honestly its just the dash pad I'm interested in, mine has a small crack and the sun has started to turn it a gross tourqoise colour so if I could get away with just replacing that I'd be happy. rest of my dash is fine. if I buy this complete dash off this guy here in Toronto I'd make the call to put the whole thing in or just replace the pad.
Old May 5th, 2016, 07:30 AM

While we're on the subject, are there supposed to be holes in the perimeter of the dash for mounting the chrome bed trim?
Old May 5th, 2016, 05:20 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by wcourt3010
yeah sure send me some pics. honestly its just the dash pad I'm interested in, mine has a small crack and the sun has started to turn it a gross tourqoise colour so if I could get away with just replacing that I'd be happy. rest of my dash is fine. if I buy this complete dash off this guy here in Toronto I'd make the call to put the whole thing in or just replace the pad.
If you've got the whole thing there in TO for a decent price, no point in shipping one from AB. I doubt there's that much difference in color between 71/72 anyway.

Originally Posted by Chumley
While we're on the subject, are there supposed to be holes in the perimeter of the dash for mounting the chrome bed trim?
No. Unless the dash has already had bead molding installed and removed. The fastener on the dash bead molding makes it's own holes as it it pushed into the softer foam.