1968 Heater Control slider

Search this Thread

Old April 26th, 2016, 05:39 AM

1968 Heater Control slider

On trip back from the Zone Show 2 weeks ago, torrential rain occurred, and never could get the defrost function to work correctly. In sliding the heat/cold "slider" back and forth, something "happened". Now, it feels "loosey-goosey", and will not go to full left position. Looking at the manual, trying to figure out if the wire control came off the lever on the upside of the heater box, or off the back of the heat/cold control itself in the dash. Anyone experience this? I plan on removing the glove box innards and hope to be able to "see" the lever on top of the heater box. As to the lever on the back of the dash control, reaching up/in there feels like the whole thing is not attached. Appreciate any suggestions, as usual. Not able to get under the dash like I used to, don't understand that.....................hmmmmmmm.
Old April 26th, 2016, 07:08 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Aron Nance
On trip back from the Zone Show 2 weeks ago, torrential rain occurred, and never could get the defrost function to work correctly. In sliding the heat/cold "slider" back and forth, something "happened". Now, it feels "loosey-goosey", and will not go to full left position. Looking at the manual, trying to figure out if the wire control came off the lever on the upside of the heater box, or off the back of the heat/cold control itself in the dash. Anyone experience this? I plan on removing the glove box innards and hope to be able to "see" the lever on top of the heater box. As to the lever on the back of the dash control, reaching up/in there feels like the whole thing is not attached. Appreciate any suggestions, as usual. Not able to get under the dash like I used to, don't understand that.....................hmmmmmmm.
Aron,

You've got it. The wire is not connected at one end. If you're lucky, it simply came off the post or the clamp that holds the sheath came loose. If your luck is like mine, however, the wire has broken at one end or the pin that it fits over has broken.
Old April 26th, 2016, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Aron,

You've got it. The wire is not connected at one end. If you're lucky, it simply came off the post or the clamp that holds the sheath came loose. If your luck is like mine, however, the wire has broken at one end or the pin that it fits over has broken.
Ive got an extra dash control unit from my 68 F-85 if you need one and it will workin your car?
Tweed
Old April 28th, 2016, 03:03 AM

Tweed: I plan on pulling the glove box etc. and checking out my problem today/tomorrow, and will get back to you with the possibility of purchasing your "extra" unit.
THANKS!
Aron
Old April 28th, 2016, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Aron Nance
Tweed: I plan on pulling the glove box etc. and checking out my problem today/tomorrow, and will get back to you with the possibility of purchasing your "extra" unit.
THANKS!
Aron
Aaron,

If it's non A/C you can get to everything without pulling the glove box. You can reach behind it and get the cable back on. My cable pops off at least once a season. There is one connection pin on the back of the heater control that's notorious for breaking. I have two spare controls and it's broken on both
Old April 28th, 2016, 09:58 AM

The cables work a lot better if they ever, EVER get lubed.
Old April 28th, 2016, 01:50 PM

The glove box is "out", and I can see (finally) the lever assembly on top of the heater box; hooked up, and looks/feels functional (it IS an A/C system from the factory). I can move it back and forth, manually, and hear the door inside opening/closing. Looks as if the problem is going to be "behind" the dash mounted slider controls, which seems to jam about 2/3's way headed back to the left. Any thoughts on removing that whole panel, EASILY? Will also lube the cables I can get to in the process. Thanks for all the responses.
Aron

Last edited by Aron Nance; April 28th, 2016 at 02:04 PM.