Interior upgrades for my 71 98!

Search this Thread

Old March 14th, 2016, 12:47 AM
in love with a '71 98

Interior upgrades for my 71 98!

Since I just got back to posting here, I thought I'd share my excitement for my two very recent upgrades to the interior of my 1971 98.

I've had the sport steering wheel for a while, and finally had the extra cash to get the aftermarket hub kit and horn button from Tamraz's. All in all, I'm pleased with the quality of the parts. Although I will say that the metal ring that allows the horn button to clip into the contact ring is a little flimsy-it could benefit from being made of a thicker metal with more tension to make the horn button feel more secured when you snap it in. But for the price compared to nice original parts, you can't beat it.

The upgrade I'm truly most excited about is the center mini-console, or "consolette". I've only ever seen one of these in person, and when I found this one after casually peering into a 73 Riviera at a junkyard, I about fell to my knees with excitement! This has been a "holy grail" type piece that I've always wanted. It's in nice solid shape, and after a good scrubbing and some interior plastic paint, it looks great!

I am a little shaky on the history of these mini-consoles and would love for anyone to shed some light onto them for me. I know they were only optional in full-size cars. I've only ever seen them in Buicks and Oldsmobiles, and really only ones from 1973. Was it a 73 only option?
Old March 14th, 2016, 12:56 AM
in love with a '71 98

Next on the list is to color-match the steering wheel to the interior, a new lock cylinder for the glove box door, and ridding the dash of the hideous cd player that my 17 year old self "just had to have"-hindsight truly is 20/20!

Long term (aka once I'm not a broke 28 year old college student) plans include sending the cracked lower door panels off to a company like Just Dashes to have them redone, and reupholstering the front seat. Then I'll truly be sitting pretty!