Scissors top G.M.'s

Search this Thread

Old June 17th, 2008, 09:19 AM

Scissors top G.M.'s

Just talked to the guy that is going to do the top on my 75 Delta 88. He has a ? about another scissor top car that he is working on. Maybe someone here can help .He has the factory top manual that I let him borrow but we do not see an adjustment for the center of the windshield bow. The ends pull down fine when latched but the center is too high. The owner accused him of putting the top on too tight but I just can’t see him doing that as he has over 40 yrs. exp. and is the go to trim shop in my area. You can slide your fingers under the middle above the rear view although the weatherstrip is making contact .This is short but may generate some discussion . Just trying to help as he has never seen this and an answer may help when he does mine$$.
Old June 17th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Oldsdruid

My guess is someone "adjusted" the latches trying to get a better seal. Result? the front bow is now warped and will require some tweaking to get a good seal.

I had a 73 Delta that I tried to seal in that area for 12 years. GM weatherstrips, aftermarket, creating a labyrinth seal out of hardware store pieces, nothing would seal it. Combination of poor seal and the tendency of the top to "lift" at road speed ensured that if you got caught in the rain, you were going to get wet.

Plus those damn scissor tops were just a PITA. They were definitely not one of GM's better designs. I like early 70's GM big convertibles, but that scissor top would make me think long and hard about owning another one.