Rebuilding a seat...

Search this Thread

Old April 25th, 2011, 03:16 PM

Cool Rebuilding a seat...

After removing both sets of seats in our 63 Starfires-it has become evident that we are going to need to learn how to rebuild the seat frames.

All the seats are there, just some in more pieces than others..

We have one good bucket seat from the coupe and a good bench seat from the coupe. Even tho the bench seat is shorter width in the convertible we should be able to use the coupe one as a template.

We are not throwing away anything right now. Several of the springs are completely rusted off from front to back.

What we need to know:

Is there a good company out there that can rebuild these?

Is there any good books/info on the net on how to rebuild these-(metal only) for DIY

Has anyone else rebuilt there seats?-with a possible thread w/lots of pics?

If we do it ourselves, where is a good place to get seat pieces?

Any and all information is most helpful.

Last edited by trackz man; April 25th, 2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old April 27th, 2011, 02:41 PM

So, I guess there are no responses for building seats
Old April 27th, 2011, 06:22 PM

Have you talked to a local upholstery shop? I think they stock or can order spring parts. If you're building something then stock seat covers are out. So maybe talk to the shop first.

Don
Old April 27th, 2011, 10:30 PM

This is a really good question. I know that most of the supply houses are only offering the replacement spring sets for the bucket seats not for the bench seat. Not sure if there is another place to get these from.
-Dan
Old April 28th, 2011, 04:16 AM

Have you spoken with Legendary Interior? I see they offer a seat rebuilding service but I'm not sure if they can handle your model or not. Might be worth a call.
Old April 28th, 2011, 04:58 AM

Check with the local auto upholstery shops,to see if they can fab new springs.Legedary can restore seats,but I don't know if they will actually build a seat frame.
Old April 28th, 2011, 05:36 AM

Check with the local auto upholstery shops,to see if they can fab new springs.Legedary can restore seats,but I don't know if they will actually build a seat frame.

The original post talked of rebuilding the seats, not fabricating new ones. Yes, a local shop can provide that service. Legendary, it appears, will do the same thing. There are positives and negatives to both avenues and all need to be condisered, especially shipping if local help is not used.
Old April 28th, 2011, 06:08 AM

I had a broken seat back on a 'burban I bought cheap - used some 'C' clamps to align and the local muffler shop welded it for $20.
If you're not missing anything, or can get the springs, some shops like 'out of the ordinary' from their usual repairs.
Worse they can say is 'NO'.
Old April 28th, 2011, 09:55 AM

Thanks for all the response- I have NOT checked with a local upholstery shop/nor did it come to mind. I have contacted Legendary via e-mail and have not had a response yet. I will try and call them.

I am only rebuilding the seats and not making up NEW ones for it.

So, if the upholstery shops can get supplies, there must be a company that we can contact and get supplies.

Some of my springs are totally rusted off, so I think that since I have two sets of buckets and bench-some being in good shape- is to take the time and dismantle the bad ones, take pics, drawings, media blast them-to see what is left of the bad ones and then start from there, unless Legendary can do it for a reasonable price. Or possibly a local shop- But have been hesitant as the locals seem very over priced.(we got estimates for some other interior work over a year ago) Then I will proceed- I will take pics and update and then maybe others can benefit from this post...
Old April 29th, 2011, 12:04 AM

I had the samr problem.
Before:

DSCN0251.jpg

And a bunch of broken/rusted springs:

And after:

DSCN0278.jpg

Try the following for supplies, I've bought stuff from all of them. You'll need springs, edgewire, hogrings and hogring pliars, a vice for bending the springs (use an old one for a pattern), and probably some foam.
I have not found springs that are the same dimension as the originals, but you can bend them to make up for the difference.
http://www.wsusol.com/
http://www.midwestfabrics.com/
http://www.rochfordsupply.com/index.asp
http://www.perfectfit.com/

Last edited by garys 68; April 29th, 2011 at 12:07 AM.
Old April 30th, 2011, 01:30 PM

Those seats look great. Where did you get the spring metal to make the seat springs? Did you use a vice to bend all the spring metal to fit the pattern used on the other seats. Seat repair is very expensive, so i am glad for your post and the help it offers. I am looking forward to rebuilding my seats, but it may not be for a while as the weather is finally starting to get better here-snow yesterday, 55 today, 65 tommorrow and mid 70's by week end.
Old April 30th, 2011, 02:11 PM

Attached is a link to see pictures of our restoration on our 63' Starfire, there are some pictures of the seats on there. Flickr;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1962old...7626202575076/
Thank-you
-Dalton
Old April 30th, 2011, 02:24 PM

You buy the springs preformed, you just need to cut them and bend into the correct shape. It's hard to find the exact loop dimensions but you can bend them to fit correctly anyway.
Just look up springs on any of the websites.
http://www.wsusol.com/c-40-Furniture-Springs-etc.aspx
Old April 30th, 2011, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by garys 68
You buy the springs preformed, you just need to cut them and bend into the correct shape. It's hard to find the exact loop dimensions but you can bend them to fit correctly anyway.
Just look up springs on any of the websites.
http://www.wsusol.com/c-40-Furniture-Springs-etc.aspx
That was exactly what I was looking for. For some reason I was looking for seat springs and not furniture springs. Like I mentioned, I will be using these supply places for the parts. Thank you soooooo much....
Old April 30th, 2011, 04:46 PM

No problem, be sure to post pics
Old May 3rd, 2011, 02:13 PM
Ben

From your photo- your seat is the same frame/springs/foam as an Impala seat from the same era- probably also 64/65 A-bodies as well.

That means you can get repop foam buns (google American Cushion Industries- they are the best available).

it appears that repop seat springs are also available:
http://www.impalas.com/interior/seat...d/bucket-seat/
However, since you are in oregon, i would venture to say i'll bet your seat springs are probably fine, at best they may need one or two springs repaired. I only charge $5/spring when redoing a seat to fix them unless they are totally rusted out.
The seat frames & springs were not painted when new, so its EXPECTED to see a nice coat of surface rust on them, but as long as they aren't pitted from it, they clean right up, and with new burlap & foam it will feel like new again.

For seat covers, i seriously doubt anyone repops the design your car had originally, but if you did not care about originality you would be able to use any available b-body (impala) covers 63-65

Or- Simply take your original covers to an upholstery shop and they will be able to closely match what you had and recreate them.

I do seat work locally to help fund the hobby for myself. Typically Charge about $200 to do a set of buckets, with the customer providing me with new covers & foam.

You could probably expect a shop to charge around $350+whatever it will cost to make the covers.

Last edited by RAMBOW; May 3rd, 2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 02:34 PM
Ben

Looked at your photos again, saw the one of the backseat this time... Seriously, i don't think your seats are that bad. I'll bet your springs (buckets & back seat) are in very decent shape. Easily repairable if there is any breaks.

The bucket seats are definitely the same as impala buckets from the same year- So their seat buns will fit & thats about 95% of the battle getting seats to look and feel right, is the right foam.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by RAMBOW
Looked at your photos again, saw the one of the backseat this time... Seriously, i don't think your seats are that bad. I'll bet your springs (buckets & back seat) are in very decent shape. Easily repairable if there is any breaks.

The bucket seats are definitely the same as impala buckets from the same year- So their seat buns will fit & thats about 95% of the battle getting seats to look and feel right, is the right foam.
The seats you have been looking at are from the coupe-light blue- these were from a 63 Starfire that we found in a farmfield next to a irrigation canal. The drivers door window was out. So the drivers side seat is all weathered and some rust. You are correct, the springs are in good shape underneath pass enger and rear seat, it is the seat covers and foam that need replacement, as the material is cracking and tearing when we sit in them.

The other 63 Starfire convertible seats are rusted in the frame and springs. Both front seats are terrible and the rear seat has major rust. So I guess we can use the coupe seats as templates, however the rear seat in the convertible is smaller, which should not make a big difference. Same thing with the door panels. The blue coupe is in much better shape-especially the passenger side.

I will put some pics of the convertible seats and you can recommend what to do...
Old May 3rd, 2011, 03:19 PM

I checked the website you recommended and there is a ton of seat info and I believe you are correct about the seats being the same...Thanks

Last edited by trackz man; May 3rd, 2011 at 03:29 PM.