POR-15 Steering Wheel Kit

Search this Thread

Old April 1st, 2008, 05:39 PM
New 4-4-2 Owner

POR-15 Steering Wheel Kit

Has anyone had any experience using the POR-15 Steering Wheel Restoration Kit from OPG? The kit looks economical to purchase, but I wonder if the included instructions make the kit worth buying, as a way to save $$ on OEM steering wheel restoration.

Any advice would be most helpful. Thanks to everyone for your comments..
Old April 1st, 2008, 07:41 PM
Site Admin & Motorhead

You talking about something like this? If so, dunno, have never tried it, but would love to hear about your results if you tackle it.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 05:24 AM

I know Oldsguy restored a steering wheel he had in his 69 Delta 88. I don't know if he bought a kit like that or if he just epoxyed the cracks and painted it. Regardless, I remember that the steering wheel looked 10 times better once he restored it. It might not get your steering wheel ready for a Barret Jackson auction, but it would make it better than it is now.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 06:46 AM
Past Administrator

I used epoxy but can't remember what kind or brand. It did take more than one application on each crack though because it would shrink as it cured. Turned out pretty good when all was said and done, lots of prep work before and sanding after, then about six coats of paint.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 07:10 AM

Did anyone see what the '65 Delux steering wheel just sold for on ebay???
It was black on black...not even the wood one.

$965.00 !!!!!!!!!!!

20 bids

That's ridiculous.
Any picts of that wheel Oldsguy?
Old April 2nd, 2008, 08:26 AM

I bought the kit and a cheap steering wheel on ebay to play with before tackling my original. It was my first attempt at this, and I thought it looked pretty good. Like Dan said, I think I will need another application of the epoxy, as some of the shrinkage did not show itself until I applied the first coat of paint. The grey paint stuff in the kit didn't seem to work like I thought it would, but I kind of pushed the temperature limits working in the cold. Also, because I was a little too liberal with the epoxy application, the amount of sandpaper in the kit was far from adequate. I went to Lowe's and bought a couple of sanding sponges which worked great. The only thing I didn't know how to tackle was the little plastic trim ring inset. For the practice wheel, I just ripped out the broken pieces and filled it all in. I think I will try to take a paint pen and draw it back in, but I haven't gotten that far yet. Good luck!
Old April 2nd, 2008, 08:59 AM
Past Administrator

Yes, as I recall now I used a glossy dark "primer" to help me see the imperfections. It took quite a few passes and applications.