Killer Chrome

Search this Thread

Old January 28th, 2009, 09:40 AM

Killer Chrome

I toyed with putting this in the plastic chroming thread we have going, but didn't want it to get buried.

Has anyone tried this stuff? http://alsacorp.com/index.htm It looks really impressive. Check out the spray can video. Looks like real chrome.

The kit is expensive, but it's cheaper than I'm being quoted for my gauge bezels, plus I'd have a ton left over for other things as well.
Old January 28th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Registered

That is cool, never seen spray chrome that actually shines like that. In the video it looks like you have to have a perfectly smooth mirror finish gloss black under it? It is a little pricey but if it works like they show it's a deal. Somebody has to be the Guinea pig, so when are you going to get some?
That would be great for door pull backing plates, I got four that could use some work, and the silver highlights on the dash are always too dull when you silver paint them, Hmmm.
The 4oz airbrush size would probably do a lot going by how little he used. The airbrush is a great painting tool, just did my newly acquired tilt steering column with my good old Badger.
What the heck kind of weird musical intrument is that they have playing in the video background music anyway?
Old January 28th, 2009, 11:25 AM
car guy

after my fiasco I am going to ordering the spray crome from someone and give it a shot.
Old January 28th, 2009, 11:30 AM

From what I've read, the key to good finish with it is proper plastic preparation and then making sure the gloss black base coat you put down is flawless.
Old January 28th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by 68Tom
From what I've read, the key to good finish with it is proper plastic preparation and then making sure the gloss black base coat you put down is flawless.
Makes sense, just as the key to good chrome is a flawlessly polished surface before you dip it.
Old January 28th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Getting There

I have this stuff coming for my dash and other misc stuff

I was on the phone for 1/2 hour with the manufacturer

they tell me prep is huge... of course

but they also told me don`t rush the paint one guy I talked to says he will do the process in a 2 week period........ let it stand for a few days before the next application

also this stuff gets brighter with age supposedly. the clear coat finish is like any other clear which will take some moderate abuse....

I will be taking pictures of the process and will post them up here. I will be testing this stuff on a dead dash that I have first
Old January 28th, 2009, 03:19 PM

Very cool. Keep us posted.
Old January 29th, 2009, 08:00 AM
MDC

They did the roof of a car on one of the shows on Speed (Chop Cut Rebuild I think)
Looked pretty cool, but I'd like to see it in person.