Factory floor mats for early 70s Cutlass?

Search this Thread

Old February 17th, 2009, 04:30 PM

Factory floor mats for early 70s Cutlass?

Anyone have any known GM mats that came with their early '70s Olds Cutlass when it was brand new ("Aux mat" options B32 and B33)?
Anyone have at least a picture of them??
I am curious to know if the ones I have pictured here are factory.
(They are wet because I had just washed them.)
Numbers like "PPI 3347-5" are on the back but the numbers are different on each piece. They do have the GM logo on the front ones and the color matches nicely with my interior.

They are not in the best of shape (deteriorating) and I am debating whether to use these (if factory) or get something else. Legendary has some nice ones, but are quite costly... At least I can get them in colors that will match their upholstery...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1555.jpg (59.5 KB, 145 views)
Old February 17th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Rob:

With that new interior I though you would drive barefooted and make everybody take their shoes off. Your car does look great. I will be interested to know what you find.
Old February 17th, 2009, 05:40 PM

Factory Mats

Here is a pic of the mat I have in my 72. Pretty sure it's factory original as I had a similar set in a 71 Supreme I owned. Unfortunately, my car only came with one...still looking for a way to clone it!
Attached Images
P2180024.jpg (58.9 KB, 123 views)
P2180023.jpg (73.3 KB, 79 views)
Old February 17th, 2009, 05:48 PM

Just verified the option code on my build sheet B32 FRT FLOOR MAT.... doesn't say 'MATS'...maybe it only came from the factory with one? That would seem unlikely but who knows. Found these numbers on the back: PPI 4340R - 9 and 387900R...Hope this helps.

Last edited by scott_442; February 17th, 2009 at 05:55 PM.
Old February 17th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Oldsdruid

Rob, the ones you have are generic GM mats first used in 1970 F-body. They started using them in A-body in 1973, and B/C body in 1977. They will fit the 1972 floor, and in all honesty I wouldn't quibble much about using them, esp since the only available correct repro mats are made only in black.

Scott's mats are the factory Oldsmobile script mats used from 1965-72 on A-body and 1965-70 on B/C. The big car mats changed in 1971 but still had a Rocket emblem molded in, thru 1976. Some years had carpet insert mats but I have always preferred rubber.

Toronado mats are a different animal entirely and will not work in cars with transmission hump.

The Legendary mats look nice and are good quality rubber from the ones I've seen, but they look a little too "generic" for me.

There was a set same style as yours on ebay last week, color dark saffron which looks close to 1970-72 Sienna brown. There were some minor changes year to year, and sometimes a relief notch molded in for different floorpans.
Old February 18th, 2009, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by scott_442
Just verified the option code on my build sheet B32 FRT FLOOR MAT.... doesn't say 'MATS'...maybe it only came from the factory with one? That would seem unlikely but who knows. Found these numbers on the back: PPI 4340R - 9 and 387900R...Hope this helps.
My '72's build sheet did not have the mat codes, so she probably left the factory matless...
The B32 option was for the front mats. B33 is for the rear mats. You are still missing one.

The numbers on the back at least tells me that mine are real vintage GM parts!
Old February 18th, 2009, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Rob:
With that new interior I though you would drive barefooted and make everybody take their shoes off. Your car does look great. I will be interested to know what you find.
Many thanks...
This is not a bad idea, as shoes are not allowed on my carpet in the house either...
When working on the car now I wear sandals, so I can kick 'em off before I get in.
I do drive barefoot in summer anyways so I will continue that tradition!
Old February 18th, 2009, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Rob, the ones you have are generic GM mats first used in 1970 F-body. They started using them in A-body in 1973, and B/C body in 1977. They will fit the 1972 floor, and in all honesty I wouldn't quibble much about using them, esp since the only available correct repro mats are made only in black.

Scott's mats are the factory Oldsmobile script mats used from 1965-72 on A-body and 1965-70 on B/C.
Now how did you figure all this out?? Wow! This is excellent information - many thanks...
Perhaps my mats were "dealer installed" and they found whatever they could on the shelf and tossed 'em in.

Since mine are GM parts of the right vintage, I will see if they can be restored any better so i can use them. There are some stains on most of them, but they are still good "10 footers".
One of the back mats is badly damaged from sitting in ATF-fluid-soaked carpet when the right top cylinder leaked many years ago...
It is a tiny bit sticky, too - I will want to put some sort of backing on it before it can lay on the new carpet.

Thanks to all for all the info!!

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; February 18th, 2009 at 05:39 AM.
Old February 18th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Oldsdruid

Several reasons:

1) I was around when dinosaurs roamed the earth.

2) I have an obsession for factory type floor mats.

3) My best friend from 2nd grade thru forever worked as a DECA student at the Chev-Olds dealer's parts department while we were in high school. Consequently I learned quite a bit about early 70s factory accessories.

Rubbermaid made GM's mats back in those days, and you could get a set of mats like yours at good auto parts stores, minus the GM logo.

The real fun ones to find are the 59-64 big car mats. They show up rarely, and people go stupid when they do.

Last edited by rocketraider; February 18th, 2009 at 09:11 AM.
Old February 18th, 2009, 10:20 AM

Rob the repos I have in my drop top came from a local supplier via China [or worse] I don't believe you would be happy with them. They're OK I guess but not high quality like the origional Rubbermaid

[ Are we going down the Rubber maid saga again?]
Old February 18th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Rob the repos I have in my drop top came from a local supplier via China [or worse] I don't believe you would be happy with them. They're OK I guess but not high quality like the origional Rubbermaid

[ Are we going down the Rubber maid saga again?]
Don't worry, my Rubbermaid is gone, have to find a new one..

Unfortunately I had to bounce her, I heard she's a groupie for some rubber band now.
Old February 18th, 2009, 11:46 AM

Rob, I'm pretty sure Fusick is the only place that has the correct repro floor mats. It's on page 65 in their Cutlass/442 catalog. However, sadly, they only have them in black. They look exactly like the ones that Scott 442 posted.

It looks like The Parts Place has them too (also, only in black). Or, at least I hope so because for some reason that's from where I ordered them. Not too bright on my part (there was no pic), but does say that "OLDSMOBILE" is embossed in the mats.

Just checked Legendary's catalog and those definitely are not correct, I don't think.

Last edited by 68Tom; February 18th, 2009 at 12:12 PM.
Old February 18th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by rocketraider

Scott's mats are the factory Oldsmobile script mats used from 1965-72 on A-body and 1965-70 on B/C. The big car mats changed in 1971 but still had a Rocket emblem molded in, thru 1976. Some years had carpet insert mats but I have always preferred rubber.

Toronado mats are a different animal entirely and will not work in cars with transmission hump.

The Legendary mats look nice and are good quality rubber from the ones I've seen, but they look a little too "generic" for me.

There was a set same style as yours on ebay last week, color dark saffron which looks close to 1970-72 Sienna brown. There were some minor changes year to year, and sometimes a relief notch molded in for different floorpans.
Scott's mat is the passenger side mat. The drivers side mat has a hole for the dimmer switch and a flap to go under/behind the accelerator pedal. Fusick carries black reproductions and they looked pretty good to me! They are pictured in their (downloadable) catalog.

The built in (into the carpet) mats look pretty cool, especially ones like the '65 Starfire with real stainless steel trim. But they are horribly impractical!!
Old February 18th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Registered

USA Parts Supply has them for a nickel cheaper than Fusick's. They also have a rectangular accessory rubber trunk mat with the Oldmobile script in colors. I want to get one for the back of the wagon, grocery bags could scuff it.
I wonder if they made a full width Olds logo mat for the bench seat cars? I've been watching and see them for older chebbies. The Vista Cruiser had one of those cool clear full width early K-Mart ones with starbursts all over it, it had the funk so I pitched it.
Old February 18th, 2009, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by scott_442
Here is a pic of the mat I have in my 72. Pretty sure it's factory original as I had a similar set in a 71 Supreme I owned. Unfortunately, my car only came with one...still looking for a way to clone it!
My 70 442 has the mats on the build sheet, and they look like the ones in ths picture in this post.
Old February 18th, 2009, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
USA Parts Supply has them for a nickel cheaper than Fusick's. They also have a rectangular accessory rubber trunk mat with the Oldmobile script in colors. I want to get one for the back of the wagon, grocery bags could scuff it.
I've got the trunk mat in 2 cars and it's nice. All ya gotta do is cut out for the spare tire holder.
Old February 18th, 2009, 12:29 PM

these look like the same mats http://www.transamdepot.com/parts.html
they have saddle tan and camel tan.
but yours are a brownish color?

Last edited by 79hurstoldsbg; February 18th, 2009 at 12:33 PM.
Old February 18th, 2009, 12:32 PM

That's pretty cool they have those, but Rob needs the 1968-72 mats. The ones that are currently in his car are not "year" correct, although I guess one could say they're definitely period correct.

My father just confirmed to me that the mats I ordered from The Parts Place are the same as those sold by Fusick (correct repros for '68-'72) and are actually $10 cheaper. Sadly, they still come only in black.
Old February 18th, 2009, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I've got the trunk mat in 2 cars and it's nice. All ya gotta do is cut out for the spare tire holder.
How have those done with respect to trapping moisture? I've thought about getting one so I don't scuff up my newly painted trunk floor, but also don't want to trap moisture and have it start rusting again. You get some pretty intense humidity in Atlanta, so I'm assuming if it was going to rust, yours would have by now.
Old February 18th, 2009, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by 79hurstoldsbg
these look like the same mats http://www.transamdepot.com/parts.html
These look like mine all right!!

Originally Posted by 68Tom
Rob, I'm pretty sure Fusick is the only place that has the correct repro floor mats. It's on page 65 in their Cutlass/442 catalog. However, sadly, they only have them in black. They look exactly like the ones that Scott 442 posted.

Just checked Legendary's catalog and those definitely are not correct, I don't think.
Tom, thanks for this info - it is nice to know repros are out there, but for 150 bucks +, I am going to wait it out to see if they will offer them in colors. My carpet was only $120...
I do not want black and painting may not be durable enough.
So Fusick and PP sells the right style, wrong colors...
Legendary has the wrong style, but the right colors...
Why not combine the two rights?? Hopefully soon they will figure this out some time.

Thanks to all who ejukated me in "Olds A-body Floor Mat 101!"

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; February 18th, 2009 at 05:45 PM.
Old February 18th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Trying to remember member

How have those done with respect to trapping moisture? I've thought about getting one so I don't scuff up my newly painted trunk floor, but also don't want to trap moisture and have it start rusting again. You get some pretty intense humidity in Atlanta, so I'm assuming if it was going to rust, yours would have by now.
Good point, Tom. *All* mats should be pulled when storing a car (or longer periods of non-use).
Old February 18th, 2009, 12:55 PM

No problems at all. Your trunk should have a tight seal. I am not sure why but my Vista gets more moisture in the interior, the 69 H/O in the engine compartment while the drop top doesn't seem to have any .
Old February 18th, 2009, 12:57 PM

How have those done with respect to trapping moisture? I've thought about getting one so I don't scuff up my newly painted trunk floor, but also don't want to trap moisture .
I think these were to be placed over the factory padded trunk mat with the thin foam backing. I would assume that then there would be airspaces were moisture could evaporate. Also, make sure the trunk is well sealed and everything is leak free.

I thought about getting one, but not sure yet.
Old February 18th, 2009, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
These look like mine all right!!

Tom, thanks for this info - it is nice to know repros are out there, but for 250 big ones, I am going to wait it out to see if they will offer them in colors. My carpet was only $120...
I do not want black and painting may not be durable enough.
So Fusick and PP sells the right style, wrong colors...
Legendary has the wrong style, but the right colors...
Why not combine the two rights?? Hopefully soon they will figure this out some time.

Thanks to all who ejukated me in "Olds A-body Floor Mat 101!"
Hey Rob, they're actually "only" $149 for the front and rear set. But again, they're the wrong color. Hmm, maybe give Fusick a ring and see if they can put you in touch with who reproduces them. If you could get the correct ones for $250, I'd say that actually might be worth it.
Old February 18th, 2009, 05:30 PM

Hey Rob, they're actually "only" $149 for the front and rear set. But again, they're the wrong color.
Y'all could ejukate me on floor mats but I cant do math worth a #$&@!.
I thought the front and rear were separate and added a full set with the rears... <sigh...>
But even though, 150 is too much for me for incorrectness. I will call them some time and see if they might do colors later. If you have a black interior, you have it 'maid'!

And speaking of which...

Originally Posted by Bluevista
Don't worry, my Rubbermaid is gone.
Darn. I was going to send my rubber duckies over to have them detailed.......
Attached Images
IMG_1576.jpg (95.0 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; February 18th, 2009 at 05:33 PM.
Old February 18th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Registered

I think this rubber thing has been stretched out far enough.

I have really nice blue reversible summer/winter rubber mats from The Wal-Mart I bought years ago for a poncho boneyville my wife had, they'll probably stay in there forever.

It's edjukate not ejukate, who lerned you Rob?
Old May 29th, 2012, 10:09 AM

Is anyone reproducing the early 70's mats in colors yet? I need 70 in blue.
Old June 27th, 2012, 08:38 AM
Classic GM Fan

Originally Posted by 69'442
Is anyone reproducing the early 70's mats in colors yet? I need 70 in blue.
Year One has some. Go to Year One and navigate using the buttons to this area: 1964-72 Cutlass/442 > Interior > Floors > Floor Mats > Their search feature does not find this, strangely!

I do not have these, I have the black repro's that say Oldsmobile on them. They are very similar to the originals but so far as I know come only in black.

Let us know if you buy some of these, they look decent.
Old June 27th, 2012, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by mv213
Year One has some. Go to Year One and navigate using the buttons to this area: 1964-72 Cutlass/442 > Interior > Floors > Floor Mats > Their search feature does not find this, strangely!

I do not have these, I have the black repro's that say Oldsmobile on them. They are very similar to the originals but so far as I know come only in black.

Let us know if you buy some of these, they look decent.
My girlfriend bought me a set of the Year One non-original style '68-'72 mats (in green of course ) a couple years ago for my birthday. At first i thought, "take these back...they don't look original", but she had a big smile on her face so i said "wow uhh cool" . Overall they do look pretty nice and the green goes well with the rest of the interior. I like that they have "Cutlass 442" embossed on them since my '72 IS a Cutlass 442, but i just wish the Cutlass script wasn't the '68/'69 style.

I have a friend in Richmond who has the original-style black mats and like some of the other rubber repro parts for these cars (e.g. brake pedal pad, rear bumper fillers), the quality and thickness of the rubber isn't as good as the original stuff.