72 cutlass inside door handle mechanism

Search this Thread

Old June 4th, 2014, 10:36 PM

72 cutlass inside door handle mechanism

I decided to swap out my old door handle mechanisms, the things that bolt to the door that the door handle attaches to. the drivers side is bad and has a lot of play and wobble in it. So I took them off and bought some new ones from the parts place. When putting them back on I saw the new ones have a shaft that's about .5 or .75 inches too short WTF!!! well I took a ride to opgi and talked to the guys in there and they confirmed my suspicion, they make the repops basically for Chevelles and they don't have the "deluxe armrests", basically they don't have the chrome plastic backing plate on the armrest, except for the 68 Chevelle. so the ones they repop have the short shafts that work for the Chevelle. well my option they say is to eliminate the backing plate so the handles fit.... that's not an option. they also said I could "rebuild" the new ones I have and put the old long shafts in them. im not in the machine shop/metal working business so that's out too. so I am looking here for ideas, does anyone know where to find repops with the long shaft? maybe someone has one for the drivers side that's in good shape that I can buy?

the devil is definitely in the details when it comes to restoring these cars, and it really sucks when the vendors say "well it works on the Chevelle, and all A bodies are alike" I know all too well that is not true. seems like every repop I have ever bought has had problems with fit or appearance. I would rather pay to get a part rebuilt if I have the option.

thanks,
E
Old June 5th, 2014, 06:10 AM

I found out the hard way that there are different lengths. I have a few good ones left, $20.00 shipped for one? Call me to confirm?
Scott
c. 317-727-7041