4-Spoke Sport Steering Wheel Question

Search this Thread

Old August 9th, 2014, 05:17 PM

Location: 25 miles North of Tampa, Land O' Lakes, Florida (Originally from Bethpage, Long Island, NY)
4-Spoke Sport Steering Wheel Question

Replacing original steering wheel with a four spoke sport steering wheel (after market). Huge gap between the hub and the steering column. Do these hubs come in all sorts of sizes? This hub is 1 11/32" and I need a hub that is 1 1/2" deep. The gap looks huge and I am not satisfied with it. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Patrick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (31.6 KB, 81 views)
Old August 9th, 2014, 05:21 PM

Location: 25 miles North of Tampa, Land O' Lakes, Florida (Originally from Bethpage, Long Island, NY)
Another Pic

Additional photo
Attached Images
image.jpg (58.9 KB, 60 views)
Old August 9th, 2014, 05:46 PM
Olds Nut

i dont think it is fully installed. Do you have the nut fully tight?
Old August 9th, 2014, 05:51 PM

Yes, it won't go down any further. I was thinking about boring out the hub a little Sophia it will slide down more. Right now the teeth are not even matching up with each other. Was just trying to find out if they make different size hubs.
Old August 10th, 2014, 11:55 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by pfergy600
Yes, it won't go down any further. I was thinking about boring out the hub a little Sophia it will slide down more. Right now the teeth are not even matching up with each other. Was just trying to find out if they make different size hubs.
All the hubs for the four spoke wheel are the same, as are the splines. If the splines don't engage properly, something is buggered up.
Old August 10th, 2014, 12:32 PM

Now the center rod that goes up through the steering column is from a 72 Cutlass column shifter where as the housing for the steering column is from a floor shifter steering column. I do not know if that makes any difference.
Old August 10th, 2014, 03:08 PM
Old(s) Fart

Now the center rod that goes up through the steering column is from a 72 Cutlass column shifter where as the housing for the steering column is from a floor shifter steering column. I do not know if that makes any difference.
From above:

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
All the hubs for the four spoke wheel are the same, as are the splines.
The hub will physically fit on ANY GM RWD steering column from 1967 to well into
the 1990s. The diameter on the 67-68 columns is different, but the splines are exactly the same on all of them. Floor shift, column shift, fixed, tilt, they are ALL the same. Once again, take it apart, you have something buggered up.

Note that the steering column center shaft is collapsible. That means that if you pulled on it too much trying to get the old wheel off (as in, didn't use a proper steering wheel puller), you may have screwed it up.
Old August 10th, 2014, 07:29 PM

Thanks Joe, I will pull it apart and try all over again. In the photo (copied from the web) the hub is getting by the threads and half way into the sline, which I assume is that middle area of the shaft. It's getting hung up on the third area of slots, not sure what that is called. These lines were aligning fine but the center of the hub is getting hung up on that third area.
Old August 10th, 2014, 07:33 PM

Pic what I'm talking about
Attached Images
image.jpg (56.0 KB, 77 views)
Old August 10th, 2014, 07:36 PM

My threads without the horn cover.
Attached Images
image.jpg (64.8 KB, 55 views)
Old August 11th, 2014, 10:51 AM
Lance

http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/?cat=11
Old August 11th, 2014, 10:57 AM
Old(s) Fart

Pic what I'm talking about
The wide splines you call the "third" level are where the lock plate engages on the 1969-up columns. This is a 1969-up column. isn't it? If so, the center shaft appears to be too far out from the body. Is there any axial motion of the shaft inside the housing?.
Old August 11th, 2014, 11:39 AM

Thank You Lance for the link.. Joe are you referring to the Light Blue Housing Pic? If so, that is just a picture I pulled off the internet to describe what I was talking about. My car is at my mechanics house right now and he is out of town until the end of the week. So I'm not sure if there is any motion of the shaft inside the housing. This is embarrassing, but I posted a picture of a part that was left over when putting the column back together. Most people said they never saw that before, I thought it was some kind of dust cover. Anyway, I was reading thru the link that Lance (Rocket Vapor) just sent and I think I found my missing link (part). I will attach it to this message, let me know if you think it matters.
Attached Images
Leftover Part.jpg (42.5 KB, 39 views)
Leftover Part 1 (1024x768).jpg (83.1 KB, 33 views)
Steering Column.jpg (70.0 KB, 37 views)
Old August 11th, 2014, 11:43 AM

Joe, as far as that Light Blue Housing Assembly in the pic, my set up looked identical as far as how far the shaft protruded. Thats why I thought the aftermarket Hub was to narrow or the wrong one attached to the 4-Spoke Wheel.
Old June 10th, 2015, 07:18 PM
Westjam

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
From above:

The hub will physically fit on ANY GM RWD steering column from 1967 to well into
the 1990s. The diameter on the 67-68 columns is different, but the splines are exactly the same on all of them. Floor shift, column shift, fixed, tilt, they are ALL the same. Once again, take it apart, you have something buggered up.

Note that the steering column center shaft is collapsible. That means that if you pulled on it too much trying to get the old wheel off (as in, didn't use a proper steering wheel puller), you may have screwed it up.
How do you know if the center shaft is screwed up? I bought a used one without a wheel and have the same issue. Is there a fix?
Old June 10th, 2015, 07:37 PM

I grinded out the hub a little and the splines matched up. It's fits nice now...
Old June 11th, 2015, 06:47 PM
Westjam

I grinded out the hub a little and the splines matched up. It's fits nice now...
Great! Thank you!