1970 Cutlass Center Console Question

Search this Thread

Old October 23rd, 2006, 04:56 AM

1970 Cutlass Center Console Question

Greetings: I have a 1970 Cutlass Convertible that is an automatic with the center console. I am considering a change to a manual five-speed. Do I need to find a center console for a manual transmission? Or, is it possible to convert this auto console to the manual type. I've seen the console insert for sale on Ebay, but not too sure if they also work on the auto console. My center console looks very narrow. If anyone has a top-down look (picture) at a manual center console, it would be greatly appreciated. If you are unable to email me directly (for some reason I'm unable to display me response email), please email me at fritzo34@aol.com. Thanks in advance. Bill
Old December 13th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Just A BaBy {:

ok i have a 1984 cutlass with a center console an i was told the hole arm rest comes out?My arm rest is not there looks like some 1 broke it off.So i am looking for a center console.
Old December 14th, 2008, 06:18 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by ViceGuy
Greetings: I have a 1970 Cutlass Convertible that is an automatic with the center console. I am considering a change to a manual five-speed. Do I need to find a center console for a manual transmission? Or, is it possible to convert this auto console to the manual type. I've seen the console insert for sale on Ebay, but not too sure if they also work on the auto console. My center console looks very narrow. If anyone has a top-down look (picture) at a manual center console, it would be greatly appreciated. If you are unable to email me directly (for some reason I'm unable to display me response email), please email me at fritzo34@aol.com. Thanks in advance. Bill
The 70-72 consoles are the same for AT, MT, and dual gate. The console has scribe marks on the underside where it needs to be cut out for the MT or dual gate (be careful not to cut both!). Olds specialty houses (such as the Parts Place) sell the MT bezel and boot for the console. Be sure that the 5 speed shifter comes up through the floor in the same place, however.