1979 Hurst Olds Vinyl Seat patterns

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2015, 05:58 AM

1979 Hurst Olds Vinyl Seat patterns

Are there 2 different styles/patterns that are correct for the 1979 Hurst Olds with the vinyl tan interior? I'm seeing one style that is similar to the pattern of the velour seats with the grooves going from front to back of the seat, and another pattern that has just several grooves going from side to sides. I had thought there was only one pattern with the grooves going from front to back, as in the master sales brochure on the Calais page. Perhaps the pattern was changed late in the model year (?) thx

Last edited by BlueCalais79; April 5th, 2015 at 06:01 AM.
Old April 6th, 2015, 05:07 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Side to side patterns (bucket seat vinyl/cloth) were introduced in the 1980 Calais. Bucket seat upholstery patterns for the 79 HO were identical to the 78/79 Calais regardless of vinyl/cloth as they used the same seats. The 1980 vinyl seats had more than just a couple 'pleats' though and they were deep pleats too. (8 on the seat back, 6 on the seat panel) Similar idea to your 72 Cutlass S.
Old April 7th, 2015, 04:31 AM

Thanks Allan, I did come to the conclusion the seats have been re-covered, funny thing is I've seen the pattern that was used on a couple of other 79 H/O's and that's what threw me off a bit. I know the velour material has not been available since 1989 but the correct vinyl still might be (SMS I think). This won't be a deal killer and quite frankly I myself have enough parts to convert the front & back seats to the velour cloth if I wanted to. But that's problematic in and of itself. I will probably just leave them as is if I get the car.
Old April 7th, 2015, 11:29 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I'm kind of confused as to why you'd sell your 79 HO for another 79 HO. The one you have has the Hurst hatches IIRC. What would compel you to ditch a car that has a really scarce option for one that's painted black instead?? Just sell the 72 and buy the 79. Either that or sell something else that you're not using and get your stable of 79's filled. I'm sure you and your missus wouldn't mind using either of them as a DD? They're a great riding car, and gas has never been cheaper. Might as well enjoy them before it's too late, right? Besides, these cars can be rebuilt any time you decide - just like anything else.

I wouldn't even be concerned about the seats unless you're looking for a concourse car. To be honest, if I was selling the black HO and you wanted a price reduction for the seats? I would honestly tell you no. To me it's one of those things that you either accept or don't. The other thing about me is that I don't sell if I don't want to, and I always set my prices at levels I'M comfortable with, not necessarily what a buyer is. Hey, that's me though.

Good luck with your dilemma. Maybe you should talk to Brian about this. I know he's a veritable wealth of knowledge on the 79 HO as he restored the one you have now? I remember him telling me about it a long time ago. Or am I getting that mixed up with Raymonds 442C???
Old April 8th, 2015, 11:57 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Anything on this yet? Did you decide to go with the black 79 HO? Do you have any pics you can post that show your concerns? I'm really curious to see what would motivate you to sell your current 79 for a different one. Why not just consider a straight across swap with the seller, or does he just want out from the car?

I think the black HO's are a great looking car. IMO the black offsets the car a bit better than the standard cameo white. Here's one I found on a quick web search that has the black interior with the seat pattern vertically as we know it to be correct.

Old April 9th, 2015, 04:53 AM

79 Hurst

Wow, that's a nice one. Still mulling this over, nothing's definite yet. I wholly agree with you on the seats, that's a non-issue at this point.