1973 h/o "w-30" ?

Search this Thread

Old August 12th, 2014, 01:38 PM

Question 1973 h/o "w-30" ?

Correct me if I am wrong, but the W30 designation skipped 73 didn't it? Wasn't it a W-45 option code with no W decals on the car? Or is this the only 73 W30 I have ever seen?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201144647591...m=201144647591
Old August 12th, 2014, 01:49 PM
delete

That is correct. '73 was W45.

Last edited by droptopron; August 12th, 2014 at 01:52 PM.
Old August 12th, 2014, 02:52 PM

Thanks! The seller was quite the arrogant know-it-all when I inquired of him. Claims he knows the car better than anyone and its all original, a W30, and the decals came on it. I had never seen a 73 W30.
Old August 12th, 2014, 03:48 PM

Well it figures the seller is of the arrogant type. This car has been relisted several times now and IMO it's over bid each time. So many things wrong with it but ad clearly says cold AC and 34K miles. Well their is no AC muffler and line hooked up. The speedo is not correct for this car so the mileage is bs.

Which he tells you "all original" there are many other incorrect things like no seat belts on floor, wrong steering wheel, chrome items on dash painted black, and no dual gate shifter! Ultra high compression decal on eng, really?! Many things incorrect so I say it's just being hyped up to make money, misleading because I'm sure seller most likely knows there are issues with originality by now and just trying to pass it on while making money instead of losing money.
Old August 12th, 2014, 04:30 PM

I didnt even realize the dual gate was missing. Ugh! Thanks!
Old December 14th, 2015, 09:10 PM

I have often wondered if it can actually be proven it is a real Hurst/Olds. I mean all that VIN number really tells us it was a Lansing built 455 car. Wonder what the fisher tag would tell us? I wonder what the buyer is REALLY bidding on? Wonder Wonder Wonder.....
Old December 16th, 2015, 06:14 PM
My 73HO

Originally Posted by 72skytop
I have often wondered if it can actually be proven it is a real Hurst/Olds. I mean all that VIN number really tells us it was a Lansing built 455 car. Wonder what the fisher tag would tell us? I wonder what the buyer is REALLY bidding on? Wonder Wonder Wonder.....
The VIN is in the unofficial 73 registry at 73hurtsolds.com. With that being said, No the VIN can not at this time tell whether it is a real HO or not. Paperwork can prove it but the Cowl tag , VIN and its build dates can only place it in the time frame of when the conversions took place. All these thing plus the HO only parts can lead one to believe it is real.
I have documents for my cars, and at that time I made no bones about documenting them publicly with their paperwork and history. 10 years ago no one wanted these cars let alone cloning them.
A little research can show you which you can conclude are real and those that are not.

No W30 was not a 73 option on this car.
Old December 16th, 2015, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Hurstolds1973
The VIN is in the unofficial 73 registry at 73hurtsolds.com. With that being said, No the VIN can not at this time tell whether it is a real HO or not. Paperwork can prove it but the Cowl tag , VIN and its build dates can only place it in the time frame of when the conversions took place. All these thing plus the HO only parts can lead one to believe it is real.
I have documents for my cars, and at that time I made no bones about documenting them publicly with their paperwork and history. 10 years ago no one wanted these cars let alone cloning them.
A little research can show you which you can conclude are real and those that are not.

No W30 was not a 73 option on this car.

Thank you for the reply. For what it is worth, I agree with everything you say. This is quoted from the 73 Hurst/Olds website:

"The 1973 Hurst Olds required a change in the rear side window glass. When the opera window inserts were
installed, the inserts covered up the LOF safety glass logo on the standard Cutlass S rear side window
glass. LOF built rear side window glass with an additional logo to solve this problem."

I wonder if there is any way to contact the white 73 on Ebay owners, the one in Lakeland, Florida and if they would check this and photograph it. To me this is about the only fool proof way to authenitcate one. Of course windows out of rusted hulks could be snagged right before Biffo at the crusher pulls the lever. There is always a way around it. But like you said and I totally agree:"10 years ago no one wanted these cars let alone cloning them. " Here is the car:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-Oldsmob...vip=true&rt=nc

If you look really close at the pictures, I swear I can see the LOF etching in the glass. I just wonder if it is real Hurst/Olds that somewhere along the way lost its shifter because it broke or somebody just did not like it. Who knows?

Thank you for your reply. It is nice to talk with somebody who has a few licks of good sense.
Old December 17th, 2015, 08:37 AM

Fyi

The sellers of the Lakeland Hurst previously claimed that the dual gate was stolen from the car.
Old December 17th, 2015, 09:37 AM

""The 1973 Hurst Olds required a change in the rear side window glass. When the opera window inserts were installed, the inserts covered up the LOF safety glass logo on the standard Cutlass S rear side window glass. LOF built rear side window glass with an additional logo to solve this problem.""

Interesting...
If the glass is not visible anyhow... what good does another logo do?
I would like to learn more about this window mark vs more common window marks. I just barely know they are date CODED with the most absurd mishmash of letters-for-year-and-month ever devised by Satan or Man.
Old December 17th, 2015, 09:58 AM

Their hoi'st is outdoors- interesting.

They have WAY too many apostrophe's

Lookit, two of 'em slipped into my stuff by mistake.
Old December 19th, 2015, 01:22 PM

I pulled the RH rear quarter glass out of a 75 H/O today
got a couple pix but can't get them into the computer...

I cleaned the glass a little and found only the usual one glass ID etching.

SOFT-RAY
SAFETY [LOF] FLO-LITE
AS-2 LI
SOLID TEMPERED
DOT15 M70

I believe the "LI" part is the date code, presumably for some month in '74-'75.

There was nothing on the inside but a glass securing tab or 2- interior panels long gone. Outside a sheetmetal panel wa welded to the body then the vinyl top covered that.

search keyword for my convenience "ggllaassss"